Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their first video/vlog was back on December 24th which probably was soon after their purchase. They commented: "We purchased the FSD package, and we got the invite to the Early Access Program the next month, then FSD update was sent to the Model Y a week later. No request made, but you do have to opt in to EAP if you are invited."

I suppose maybe one benefit of paying the higher $10k FSD price? :rolleyes:

What a load of horsecrap, and a huge slap in the face to those of us they have been lying to.

What a load of horsecrap, and a huge slap in the face to those of us they have been lying to.
Maybe skip this video then. :oops: I wonder if there's something in newer vehicles that Tesla wants to test, and maybe they're getting more California bay area vehicles added to FSD beta to improve disengagement rate? This owner in Dublin says he got his Model 3 just before the switch over to chrome delete, so maybe early October?

I definitely would prefer to try out the next FSD beta myself, but I guess in the meantime without a wider release, all we get is nit picking what seems to be more and more minor issues. :p

Was FSD beta's behavior correct in wanting to drive beside the Mercedes that illegally cut in from the outer turn lane crossing guiding stripes into the inner turn lane?

View attachment 633101

Fortunately, once it got closer to the end of the turn, FSD beta realized it shouldn't drive into the yellow crosshatched area (and hopefully if it was actually a median, it would have realized sooner to avoid driving into a barrier). It seemed pretty clear early on that the Mercedes intended to cut in as opposed to accidentally oversteering, so maybe FSD should have slowed/followed sooner? But that might lead to phantom braking during a turn, which might be worse… ?

I think that I was far enough back that the illegal cut in didn’t really impact FSD’s driving inputs. Yes, the depicted path would have conflicted, but I didn’t notice any action taken because of the distance. What I thought was interesting here was that the other turning cars all cut through the yellow hatched area, and FSD beta started to follow them but then correctly drove around the yellow lines.

I didn’t fit into those categories. Stood in line on launch day to put my deposit on Model 3.
But, interestingly, I was never in the first rounds of EAP (Smart Summon, etc) yet my friend was who bought his car months after me. But he drove in metropolitan areas and I was in a much more rural area at the time. There may be many factors that come in to play.

But, interestingly, I was never in the first rounds of EAP (Smart Summon, etc) yet my friend was who bought his car months after me. But he drove in metropolitan areas and I was in a much more rural area at the time. There may be many factors that come in to play.

Elon said it's going to safe drivers. Tesla logs everything you do in your car. This is why dragtime will not get early FSD beta. He is in EAP and got advanced summon early, but probably won't get FSD beta before wide release.

People who drives around the speed limit, don't pull more than .7gs, and never did 0-60 on public roads probably has a better chance for an invite. People not using a 3rd party app/monitor like Teslafi or Stats will also get an invite earlier than people who use them.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
@DirtyT3sla Meh. What's up with these unstriped turns and Michiganders agreeing on some local driving expectations?! :confused:

double left.jpg

Navigation knew there were 2 left turn lanes and the display shows it wanted to be in specifically the center lane (as opposed to either of the left 2 lanes) because it also knew Huron has 3 lanes with the left-most lane is left-turn only (i.e., don't be in the left lane as navigation wants to stay on Huron). It looks like FSD beta followed the legal driving behavior of inner turn lane is supposed to go into the left-most lane while the outer turn lane is supposed to go into the 2nd-from-left lane. But seems like everybody here knows that for the inner left turn lane, most people intend to stay on Huron instead of being forced to turn to the university, so outer turn lane should go to the right-most Huron lane.

I wonder how FSD will learn to adapt to local patterns that don't follow the law.

Reactions: WattPwr
I've been wondering what FSD beta would do for different types of traffic calming devices other than speed bumps or dips. There's some around here that one definitely should drop down to around 10mph to basically slalom through tight chicanes, but in this case, it just continues at the 35mph speed limit without slowing down:

traffic calming.jpg

Although arguably, these were installed to slow down people who are speeding and creating dangerous situations for the nearby bikers common around Stanford campus. Overall, driving through campuses for colleges or large commercial complexes could be interesting tests as the roads can have more "special" features than standard city maintained roads.

New vid from DirtyTesla. Two quick errand drives trying to show real world use of FSD, the first a 1.5 or so mile drive, the second a 3.5 or so mile drive. I need the next update released so I can see those vids because this one isn’t even close to being ready for wide release. Nothing incredibly complicated, but the car almost side swiped a guy during one of those two lane left turn scenarios. If it can’t handle a couple of short, fairly simple drives with no real weird edge cases without almost getting into a possibly serious accident, then that’s a little depressing this far in. There are real, noticeable improvements from when the beta was first released, but stuff that you would think would be simple (ie don’t swerve during a turn into an adjacent car) still is a big issue.

Nothing incredibly complicated, but the car almost side swiped a guy during one of those two lane left turn scenarios. If it can’t handle a couple of short, fairly simple drives with no real weird edge cases without almost getting into a possibly serious accident, then that’s a little depressing this far in.
Your spinning that in an oversimplified way IMO. It was a large intersection with two turning lanes and it lost track of the outer lane that it was in at the last second. [and I think the Tesla remember that was also the car that honked at it ;) ]
Ze7dh60.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like FSD beta doesn't have a good sense of urgency for lane changes as here it ended up slowing down to 16mph instead of speeding up to 40mph set speed to pass this vehicle turning into a driveway. Both the path and lead vehicle predictions could have been smarter in going around for a slightly later lane change once it detected the adjacent vehicle slowing down. The upcoming right turn in navigation was still 0.3 miles away.

urgency change.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: powertoold