Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I call it fake for two reasons.

The first reason it took a lot of tries because they got a good run.

The second reason is they used the NVidia Software when they had no intention of using that.

If anyone did a serious investigation into it I don't doubt that there would be enough evidence to say that they committed fraud.

And they presented the video in a dishonest manner by not disclosing any of that at the time thus giving the impression they were much closer at the time than they actually were.

Reactions: am_dmd
The journey continues
"Elon: We’re upgrading all NNs to surround video, using subnets on focal areas (vs equal compute on all uncropped pixels) & many other things, so more time needed to write & validate software. Maybe something next week. This is evolving into solving a big part of physical world AI."
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...ideo/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I'm encouraged that the "gap" before the next update looks like it may be just 2-3 weeks away. Will certainly be interested in what "surround video" means in terms of FSD improvement. Only time will tell.
Waiting for @run-the-jules positive feedback:)

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Waiting for @run-the-jules positive feedback:)

the tesla owners of Silicon Valley twitter account is one of the most pathetically sycophantic things I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen a lot.

As for the beta: meh. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. We will see (on YouTube, since we aren't getting the beta until the end of the year at best).

Reactions: aronth5
I think we can all admit that we were blown away when we first saw the FSD beta in October. Now it's become easy to take it for granted.

That being said, if they're moving more of the cameras over to the new "4D" stuff. I could see there being a huge jump in performance. Although I'm not holding my breath since we were supposed to get it mid December.

the tesla owners of Silicon Valley twitter account is one of the most pathetically sycophantic things I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen a lot.

As for the beta: meh. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. We will see (on YouTube, since we aren't getting the beta until the end of the year at best).

I don't see any reason to ever expect us to get the beta at least not in its unrestricted form. For now I assume its largely a marketing tool. I'll keep saying that until the time Tesla meets expectations with it or they provide clarity on expectations where Elon confesses that the current HW can't do L5.

The Silicon Valley Twitter account I have mixed feelings about.

There is a lot of money, and a lot of power within the group. So they do a lot of good, but its so utterly Bro cultural that it can get quite annoying. It's also so Pro-Tesla that Elon can get away with saying complete non-sense, and they eat it up. It's basically Tulips.

As to the FSD beta I think a lot of people are missing the real danger of it. The danger of it isn't a thousand FSD beta testers or even five thousands FSD beta testers testing self-driving code in its early stages, and V8.1 is very much in its early stages. But, the danger is when it starts to get good enough that humans start to relax while testing it.

I don't see anything in this article that reduces my fear of FSD going to a general release before its at least 2x better than a human.

The reason for 2x better than human is not to force it to be better than a competent human, but to take into account all the incompetent human drivers that have accidents that aren't really accidents at all. Like driving 2x the speed limit, and it resulting in a single vehicle "accident".

Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200
Question for FSD Beta participants:

What are the constraints that dictate whether you can enable FSD/NoAP? For regular AP, you have to wait until you're on a lane-marked street. What do the criteria appear to be for FSD? I have seen beta testers who have to pull out of the parking space, for example.

Also, does FSD have the same visual cues that FSD is available? (the steering wheel and speed limit icons are illuminated).

Question for FSD Beta participants:

What are the constraints that dictate whether you can enable FSD/NoAP? For regular AP, you have to wait until you're on a lane-marked street. What do the criteria appear to be for FSD? I have seen beta testers who have to pull out of the parking space, for example.

Also, does FSD have the same visual cues that FSD is available? (the steering wheel and speed limit icons are illuminated).
Not a tester but......If FSD Beta determines it is confident, capable and ready it will give the Gray Wheel option. Seems in parking lots or parking spaces this can be hit or miss.

Not a tester but......If FSD Beta determines it is confident, capable and ready it will give the Gray Wheel option. Seems in parking lots or parking spaces this can be hit or miss.

Yes, that is correct. I've been able to enable FSD from a parking space in a parking lot, but only sometimes, and of course only nose out since FSD can't back up. I haven't tried it in a long time on an unmapped road but it wouldn't enable for me last time I did try many versions ago, though the visualizations were showing the road well. In earlier builds it would not allow me to enable in my driveway and I had to pull out in the street first but now I can enable it at the end of my driveway and it pulls out.

Screenshot_20210303-203339_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: buyleonard
8.2 is likely more of a bug update to 4.11.1 (getting testers into 2021:D) and maybe not related much to FSD. Seems Musk's Tweet indicates that most work is on 9.x and hopefully a (much more???) wider release.

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 6.36.45 AM.png

Last edited:
I think 8.2 Is the update that he was talking about when he said hopefully next week last week. The drive seems to be quite a bit better based on the video

Elon's response to this was a bit odd. I don't think it incorporates "all" surround video yet. He was saying they still have a lot of work to do, and then he answered the question of when the next update was coming (unrelated to the surround video work).

Screenshot_20210304-043826_Chrome.jpg