Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's always odd to me when people say the display inspires confidence. To me it's the exact opposite because the visualized distance is so short. In this example it doesn't show a full size truck that's 200ft away. Not only that it appears not to see it all and attempts to cross in front of it.
View attachment 690374
From picture we can see, that that truck is not in the visual field of the main forward camera or the narrow forward camera. Wide forward camera can only see 60 meters, so the truck is probably beyond its range.

According to Tesla forward looking side camera has 80 meters max distance.

What is the speed of the oncoming traffic in that crossing? If it is 50 mph (80 kph), forward looking side camera has 3.6 seconds window. I think that it is cutting close, whether FSD can do that turn safety. But I guess forward looking side camera should see that truck in that image?
519A91BB-65B7-4D78-8A69-972EE53F11A4.jpeg

Last edited:
It's always odd to me when people say the display inspires confidence. To me it's the exact opposite because the visualized distance is so short. In this example it doesn't show a full size truck that's 200ft away. Not only that it appears not to see it all and attempts to cross in front of it.
View attachment 690374
Not showing on viz doesn’t mean it doesn’t see

Reactions: rxlawdude and Iain
I think the videos of V9.1 show nice improvements and forward progress, BUT I also think we still have a looonnnnggggggg way to go and a lot of little steps forward until wide release of full self driving. If I had to bet I'd say middle to late 2022 for FSD to go live with full capabilities while being safe.

We're closer than ever, but there's still a long way to go yet.

You’ll be living the dream! Looking at trees, while trying to avoid looking at videos of FSD 9.1.
Foresters have strange dreams :)
I think the videos of V9.1 show nice improvements and forward progress, BUT I also think we still have a looonnnnggggggg way to go and a lot of little steps forward until wide release of full self driving. If I had to bet I'd say middle to late 2022 for FSD to go live with full capabilities while being safe.

We're closer than ever, but there's still a long way to go yet.
That would be awesome, seems like progress is being made. Since we are planting trees with a 60 year harvest target (and am never ever going to see that happen) I guess I am used to just focusing on progress..no matter how slowly.

0134B2DB-61B1-48C2-B69D-2AF3165D4358.jpeg

Here we can see the obvious problem with forward looking side camera’s short range. To a human driver, fast approaching car in the middle lane is clearly visible as can be seen from the still image. But because forward looking side cameras have only 80 meters range, and wide forward camera 60 meters, they don’t see approaching car and FSD decides to go.

If car can keep itself angled so, that the oncoming traffic is in the field of the main forward camera, it might be ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: daktari
But Tesla says that forward looking side cameras range is 80 meters?

I don't think we should draw any conclusions until Tesla releases more updates. We can spend time trying to figure out the exact distances or which cameras can see the cars, but it's just a waste of time at this point. The fact is that Chuck's wide angle camera can see the oncoming cars perfectly fine, so it's a matter of improving the NN / software.

My thought is that the vision-only NN is still dependent on the radar distance / velocity training data, so any cameras that weren't previously in the radar cone aren't good at predicting distance / velocity. It's unclear how Tesla will solve this, but they're definitely aware of it.

The fact is that Chuck's wide angle camera can see the oncoming cars perfectly fine, so it's a matter of improving the NN / software.

From the fact that Chuck’s camera can see the oncoming car we can’t necessarily draw the conclusion, that Tesla’s camera is capable to see it. With capability I mean optical capability combined with resolution. Software won’t help if the problem is in the cameras.

Tesla is all in a platform that could actually be rolled out tomorrow if Tesla wished to do so. The hardware exists, the platform exists, the market is demanding product, pricing is viable, and they have almost a million testers. When Tesla says ok, this is good enough then anyone with $10k can have some degree of a chauffeur- and one that will get better with age.
actually, that's what I'm afraid of; tesla saying 'ok' when its clearly not ready yet.

the hardware does not exist (that we know of) since its not functional enough to do level 3, let alone 4 or 5.

it would be irresponsible for them to release what they have now and let the unwashed masses have at it.

fastest way to get more restricive laws made, too. show enough bravado and release dangerous stuff early and we'll find out. tesla might actually end up ruining things for EVERYONE if they push too hard, too fast.

the fact that tesla will take your $10k does not mean that I want to be on the same roads as a bunch of yahoos running around with alpha-quality software controlling their several thousand pound killing machines.

Reactions: Matias
Not showing on viz doesn’t mean it doesn’t see
Well it sure doesn't act like it sees it either! Also, even after the truck is displayed it flickers out of existence briefly. Why would it display the truck and then not display the truck?
1627829769656.png
1627829692235.png

From picture we can see, that that truck is not in the visual field of the main forward camera or the narrow forward camera. Wide forward camera can only see 60 meters, so the truck is probably beyond its range.

According to Tesla forward looking side camera has 80 meters max distance.

What is the speed of the oncoming traffic in that crossing? If it is 50 mph (80 kph), forward looking side camera has 3.6 seconds window. I think that it is cutting close, whether FSD can do that turn safety. But I guess forward looking side camera should see that truck in that image?
I can see it quite clearly in a YouTube video. Isn't it close enough to the center that it would be seen by the long rang cameras? I'm sure it would be easy to see on the built in dash cam.
I don't really know anything about how they label all this video to train the NN. My understanding is that it's all done by hand so maybe they just haven't labeled cars more than 200ft away? I have no idea.

Well ya, some aspects are becoming superhuman, not all aspects, yet.
If perception still is not there at a level even approximating human vision, I am not sure what can really be superhuman at this point in time.

The current system works great at times to clean up certain human errors. A good use case for incomplete perception. That I guess is technically superhuman, but not what people are thinking in this context.

With a fully alert human performing the DDT, it is true that it is a superhuman system, although imperfect, with false alarms. That has been the case for several years though.