Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, this is my new "Brandon" account from the Beta 8.x release.
Brandon seems to be much happier which the 9.x releases but @Frenchie seems to be running into ALL kinds of issues.

The camera setup is definitely sweet, you can rewind and watch from any angle you want...

It's going to be a while (2-3+ months) before fsd beta gets good in downtown areas of major cities though. There are so many challenges, especially that lighting. It's mind boggling difficulty. No wonder all other fsd developers are using hd maps. Huge kudos to the Tesla FSD team

#FSDBeta 9.1 - 2021.4.18.13 - 360 Degree Camera Viewing Angle Test using Drone View

Chuck covered up the left B-pillar camera and FSD indicates it can be activated to turn left!

He did not actually try it, which is commendable from a safety point of view, but he's allowed it to try dangerous stuff before and just covered the brake. I would have liked to see what happened. My feeling is that FSD is going to proceed to turn left despite having no vision whatsoever in that direction. It has turned before while having zero visibility from blocked cameras. It really should not do this.

Left.png

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
He did not actually try it, which is commendable from a safety point of view, but he's allowed it to try dangerous stuff before and just covered the brake. I would have liked to see what happened. My feeling is that FSD is going to proceed to turn left despite having no vision whatsoever in that direction. It has turned before while having zero visibility from blocked cameras. It really should not do this.
This must be what Elon meant about FSD having ESP. :p

Yes by my rough calculation based on landmarks on google satellite, the cars are showing up visually about 100 meters away.
The lane line dashes are always 10 feet long and 30 feet apart (40 foot pitch). It actually looks farther than 100m to me. Interestingly the current front camera range appeared to be only 200 feet in his recent unprotected left video.

Reactions: ZeApelido
The lane line dashes are always 10 feet long and 30 feet apart (40 foot pitch). It actually looks farther than 100m to me. Interestingly the current front camera range appeared to be only 200 feet in his recent unprotected left video.
Are we sure that's the range of the camera perception or if it's just the draw distance of the visualization? That's kind of the problem with the new visualization. I would have preferred an option to have a view that was like the older one that had less fancy graphics, but would leave more rendering resources to render more objects that the car has detected, although I get the consumer facing view likely won't be that way.

Are we sure that's the range of the camera perception or if it's just the draw distance of the visualization? That's kind of the problem with the new visualization. I would have preferred an option to have a view that was like the older one that had less fancy graphics, but would leave more rendering resources to render more objects that the car has detected, although I get the consumer facing view likely won't be that way.
Obviously we can't be sure but it did try to turn in front of a vehicle that was more than 200ft away. Also when the vehicle is at the edge of the 200ft visualization range it flickers in and out of existence.

Yes by my rough calculation based on landmarks on google satellite, the cars are showing up visually about 100 meters away.
So that means that the maximum time the car has to make an unprotected left turn onto a busy highway is roughly 30-35 seconds. And that's if all traffic lanes are clear of cars for 100 m right and left.

What would be considered as a safe distance to the nearest traffic for a car to enter a highway with a speed limit of 100 km/hr? It's probably less than 100 m.

So that means that the maximum time the car has to make an unprotected left turn onto a busy highway is roughly 30-35 seconds. And that's if all traffic lanes are clear of cars for 100 m right and left.

What would be considered as a safe distance to the nearest traffic for a car to enter a highway with a speed limit of 100 km/hr? It's probably less than 100 m.
I assume you meant 3.0 to 3.5 seconds, that decimal point is missing. The number depends upon your assumption of the speed of traffic. But more importantly, you really don't have that much time because you cannot turn at the last moment before the next car would hit you. You must begin and end the turn in the interval that is quite obviously safe and not interfering with the oncoming traffic as it closes on your turn path.

This IMO is the greatest failure of the left turns we see (well, other than actually pulling into the oncoming lane and then stopping). The car is taking way too long to make up its mind that the traffic gap is sufficient to initiate the turn.

The way a human does it, and I believe the way it must be done by the Tesla, is to recognize the gap and begin the maneuver slightly before the last trailing car clears the turn path. Not to the extent that there's any perceived danger to that trailing car, but early enough to maximize the clearance distance to the lead car in the next oncoming batch. It's very bad to have the gap open up and take about a second or more to decide that the gap is sufficient and then begin the turn. By that time it's already too dangerous to the next batch of cars. Its also very non-human-like and stressful as the oncoming drivers see this happening.

100kph is 27mps. So about 4 seconds.
Why are we using metric? FSD is only in America!

Coincidentally 4 seconds is how far away the semi truck was when it began to cross in the last Tesla AP under ride collision. The P3D has a 60ft time of less than 2 seconds so it should be no problem I suppose.
1628306752687.png

Tesla #FSDBeta Turing Test - Can You Tell Who is Driving?

FSDBeta 9.1 - 2021.4.18.13

That's really cool. But we can see your hands on the wheel and try to figure it out if it looks like you are really steering or not. So that kinda diminishes the test IMO. Maybe you should also hide the steering wheel so that we can't see your hands. That way we have to decide if it is FSD or not just by looking at what the car is doing. IMO, that would be a better Turing Test. Also, I would suggest making each segment longer so that we can see more driving to make the test more interesting. For me, a real Turing Test would be watching the car drive for like 30 minutes and determining if it is human or not.

Can You Tell Who is Driving?
I don't watch many of these honestly but missed 4. A couple seemed indistinguishable - i.e. very short segment, no turns, one green light. I agree a bit longer might be better - I'd probably prefer a full minute/segment.

Might also help to number the segments to better facilitate discussion.

One segment apparently answered a question I had - unprotected left, at a traffic light with no arrow, first in line. When the light changes obviously you still have to yield to oncoming traffic in case they are pushing their yellow light. But with FSD, once the light changes and oncoming traffic slows/stops, does FSD still make the turn or does it wait for the next green light?? It appears not to do the turn which also implies FSD did not pull into the intersection. But I may have read that all wrong.

Side note - in today's software if an inbound car turns left crossing your path, it will brake unnecessarily many times. The human can instantly make a determination if your current speed along with the expected path of the other car warrants braking or not, but not NAV today. And then after that unnecessary braking, it takes much too long to resume speed. Has FSD changed that behavior?

Nice video, TY.