Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note the color of the broken stripes separating opposing traffic when the car wanted to move left. They're white. White lane markings are only used for same-direction travel.

That's the US standard for separating lanes moving in the same direction. Yellow stripes are to be used to separate different directions of traffic. See, for example, Helpful Driving Info | Markings: Colors, Patterns, Meaning

More evidence: many locales in CA have replaced the double double YELLOW lines separating HOV from mainlines (both with traffic in the same direction) with double WHITE lines.

So the city has made an error in road markings, which could confuse anyone depending on those lane markings that imply one-way traffic.

This is a corner case due to improper lane markings. Nothing more.
That's actually a left turn lane for the direction of traffic the guy was travelling in -- the weirdness occurred at around 1132 N Halsted St in Chicago

Lanes coming off the bridge and the double yellow line turning into a dashed white line
psqNWQN.png

Here's the continuation and where it becomes a left turn lane
zLaF7KG.png

And in Frenchie's video, you can see there's actually someone in that lane waiting to turn left when the incident occurred
VhWOTDe.png

So there was a valid lane, which would explain why the guy didn't soil his underwear when the car made that move. But it's an exaggerated, dramatic, and most importantly bizarre move none the less

Why does FSD Beta just swerve into incoming traffic? Seriously, WTF?!?

Swerves directly towards this truck that was passing the stopped bus. If you're going to give oncoming vehicles the courtesy of letting them cross the center line you really shouldn't then swerve back at them to reclaim your lane. That's why the truck honked as if to say "what are you doing?".

Swerve.png

Cuts off this car on the left which is still beside the Tesla, causing the car to blare its horn. FSD Driver says the "gentleman didn't want to let us through, there was plenty of gap". No, it was right next to you.

Swerve 2.png

Swerve 3.png

• Informative
Reactions: diplomat33
Lanes coming off the bridge and the double yellow line turning into a dashed white line
I've noticed from Frenchie's Chicago videos that the double yellow lines often are very faded perhaps from snow removal. The B pillar camera does show the only bit of yellow line remaining for that whole section of road:
faded yellow.jpg

Look at the top left of the manhole cover, and that's the remainder of the yellow line -- this matches up with Google Street View. Impressively, the FSD visualization renders 3 lanes in the current direction as well as a yellow line separating the oncoming traffic lane.

Elon Musk touted that it shouldn't need to rely on lines.
It should see the context. Cars move in the opposite direction, and point in the opposite direction. don't move into that car lol
again, elon opens his mouth and people realize what a fool he is.

just let your engineers do their work, elon. every time you say things, you appear to be an idiot. when will that guy ever learn? sheesh.

Elon Musk touted that it shouldn't need to rely on lines.
It should see the context. Cars move in the opposite direction, and point in the opposite direction. don't move into that car lol
Isn't that what's happening here for the yellow lines? The yellow paint ends just before the bus, but the neural network sees the context and predicts that the yellow line should continue maybe indeed because it saw cars moving in the opposite direction. The predicted blue path stays on its side of the road without giving a forward collision warning because it knew it wasn't wanting to cross paths.

lane end swerve.jpg

I totally agree that the behavior was wrong and potentially confusing to others although at least turn signals were activated. My guess is perhaps FSD thought it was in a parking lane, which is common to the right of bike lanes. And/or the faded/non-existent lines ahead for the current lane (and bike lane) confused the neural network to predict only a wide lane ahead. I suppose the human behavior based on that misprediction would be to slowly "merge" left instead of suddenly swerving, and if FSD did that, the 2 extra seconds of traveling in the "parking" and bike lanes would have brought it close enough to realize it's actually a turn lane.

the reason the eyes aren't fooled is that we have a lifetime of training and big brains.

I dont think NN's are going to even come close to human brains.

but that's the bet, now, isn't it?
fsd beta is a generalized system for the entire USA. Even humans driving in new cities will be confused at differences in lane lines, signs, road objects, and street layout.

That’s a mystery.

I remember when fsd beta was just released, it sometimes made left turns into oncoming traffic lanes. It's much reduced now, if not eliminated, as I haven't seen it in any recent videos.

These things will obviously be improved. If we watched AP2 videos from when it was first released, we'd be freaked out about autopilot as well.

Reactions: WattPwr
the reason the eyes aren't fooled is that we have a lifetime of training and big brains.

I dont think NN's are going to even come close to human brains.

but that's the bet, now, isn't it?
Honestly the day AI obtains this type of big-brain thinking is likely the day autonomous vehicles begin intentionally driving us into objects as they gain sentience and initiate their takeover

Isn't that what's happening here for the yellow lines? The yellow paint ends just before the bus, but the neural network sees the context and predicts that the yellow line should continue maybe indeed because it saw cars moving in the opposite direction. The predicted blue path stays on its side of the road without giving a forward collision warning because it knew it wasn't wanting to cross paths.

View attachment 694465

I totally agree that the behavior was wrong and potentially confusing to others although at least turn signals were activated. My guess is perhaps FSD thought it was in a parking lane, which is common to the right of bike lanes. And/or the faded/non-existent lines ahead for the current lane (and bike lane) confused the neural network to predict only a wide lane ahead. I suppose the human behavior based on that misprediction would be to slowly "merge" left instead of suddenly swerving, and if FSD did that, the 2 extra seconds of traveling in the "parking" and bike lanes would have brought it close enough to realize it's actually a turn lane.
I don't know what it's doing to be honest. I think it's a massive path prediction bug. It was supposed to go to the right. Why the heck would it freak out like that and allow the path prediction to touch the line? It should be in the middle of what it sees. The line is the middle of the car. Ergo, it would have crossed it. Aren't there some sanity checks?

1628584660238.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan D. and ahoen117
Note the color of the broken stripes separating opposing traffic when the car wanted to move left. They're white. White lane markings are only used for same-direction travel.

That's the US standard for separating lanes moving in the same direction. Yellow stripes are to be used to separate different directions of traffic. See, for example, Helpful Driving Info | Markings: Colors, Patterns, Meaning

More evidence: many locales in CA have replaced the double double YELLOW lines separating HOV from mainlines (both with traffic in the same direction) with double WHITE lines.

So the city has made an error in road markings, which could confuse anyone depending on those lane markings that imply one-way traffic.

All of Europe, except Norway, has white Lane markers only...

Reactions: emmz0r

Yes. That is one very weird dangerous incorrect marking. I would have made the same mistake but for the car speeding from the opposite side on that lane. Also note the left turn arrow mark on the ground on that lane just a few feet forward.