Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly as long as it doesn’t crash 💥 it’s a good drive
Given FSD requires humans to take over for any and all mistakes, and we exclusively blame the human when they fail at that, it's impossible for FSD to be anything but perfect by that definition.

If you use the definition that it would have crashed without human intervention, well, it looks like a pilot that would lose their license or life in short order.

Given FSD requires humans to take over for any and all mistakes, and we exclusively blame the human when they fail at that, it's impossible for FSD to be anything but perfect by that definition.

If you use the definition that it would have crashed without human intervention, well, it looks like a pilot that would lose their license or life in short order.
That is a silly definition. It’s like asking people to smoke responsibly. FSD beta city streets should be able to not crash as often as the current highway product doesn’t crash. There are still some incidents, some issues, but they are mostly predictable. When fsd beta is that good, that is when I am talking about evaluating like an airplane. But it was also a joke, but we have spent about a page on it now…

Also, @diplomat33 dont you think it is ridiculous to compare Tesla fsd and waymo? I’m not accusing you of comparing them, but as the forums waymo guy your they guy who has to answer the question

Yes, I think it is silly to compare Tesla's FSD and Waymo. They are very different products. Tesla's FSD is L2, meaning it requires a driver as of now. Waymo is L4, meaning it can operate without a driver in a limited ODD, as we've seen from the driverless rides in Chandler. Also, Tesla is an automaker who's main business model is selling cars. Waymo is not an automaker. They are a FSD developer and robotaxi company. So they have very different business models. Lastly, both FSD systems can coexist. Tesla can deploy their FSD to consumer cars while Waymo can deploy their FSD on robotaxis in ride-hailing services in select cities. So it is really apples and oranges.

Does anyone know what possible messages show up for Autopilot paused / waiting? It first shows "Waiting for our turn" then "Waiting for bicyclist" although the cyclist wasn't visible yet from this camera view and not visualized either. I guess no "Waiting for dog" even though the dog was rendered blue:

dog.jpg

... dont you think it is ridiculous to compare Tesla fsd and waymo? ...
I like the comparison. Agree there is too much debate though. Perhaps limiting which threads this is discussed would help. I like the comparison because I often see statements that Waymo is by far the leader. In my mind Google/Alphabet isn't going anywhere and will fold or sell their driverless taxi business in some years as soon as Tesla or someone else launches (with a loss of many billions of dollars). If you go inside Waymo you will know what I mean. Zero ability to take risk of harming people. Doesn't matter how many nine's they've killed, there are always more nines to conquer. Hopefully Waymo will succeed elsewhere. Tesla is the leader because of ability to take risk. Waymo does have superior tech, but Elon appropriate risk taking will win.

I have a question for users in the beta group that have an S or X. It looks like some of the videos showing the visualizations are super laggy. Mainly in the IC. Not sure if this has been brought up but I just upgraded to MCU2 and will be kinda bummed if the whole UI gets worse just after it got exponentially better with my hardware upgrade. Maybe there are tweaks still to be made for the beta software to bring some polish?

To be clear that tester said- in the new video- it had failed for them at any speed.

So they set it to 5 mph to be safe.

It's possible this new version can do it even faster, we don't know.

(the earlier V9 success was at 2mph as pointed out, so even 5 is an improvement even if apparently by someone else)

Gali did try the monorail test multiple times-- test drivers often do so... Chuck is maybe the best at this often repeating his unprotected left tests a dozen or more times for a version.

And most of the folks with standard test routes likewise have run them dozens of times on previous versions-- the initial reports from those folks is there's multiple points of noticeable improvement in V10.

Is it possible EVERY one of them at EVERY point of improvement got some random success when EVERY one got nothing BUT failures previously?

I mean, in the quantum mechanic sense sure.

But in the "it can't be denied this version has noticable improvements without insane mental gymnastics sense" not really.

You can debate how MUCH improvement. I think you can't honestly make an argument for NONE though. And certainly from 8.x there's tons of examples of great improvement.

View attachment 708010
Doing the Lombard exercise much faster than 5 MPH would be dangerous. For years a friend of mine lived in that block. I do not recall anyone every going much more quickly. Many who have tried have had fender benders before completing that effort. Of course that was several years ago...oddly that friend is the one who introduced me to PayPal. I do owe him rather a great debt of gratitude.

Lots of potential small improvements up front but Rocco tears into existing/new problems and hype at the end

First Time I’ve heard a beta tester this displeased

At the 6:30 mark, why did FSD beta get confused with the lanes and then just wobble like a drunk going straight at a normal intersection? And why did it miss a simple right turn at the end? It's disappointing to see FSD beta fail at such simple scenarios.

8:25 into the video is where North Carolina beta tester starts to rant.

I think this is the sequel video:

Do you think level 4 or above will ever be achieved and do you think Tesla will get there at some point?
Well, L4 has been achieved, so yes.
Generalized, 99% of Americans can get in the back of the car on their commute to work? Yes, humans will get there. I think it's about 15 years away.

Tesla will get there too, but I have no idea if they will be first. The one thing I am confident in is that they have sold a bill of goods to their current customers, and that current cars will never do it. Their business practices around autonomy are unacceptable, and the fact that in 2021 we're still hoping that it can manage to not crash into concrete pillars and constantly defending the system as L2 and you must pay attention means healthy skepticism as to if Tesla is the leader in autonomy is warranted. They deserve harsh criticism given the billions of customer dollars they have for a product they haven't delivered and refuse to offer refunds on.

Lots of potential small improvements up front but Rocco tears into existing/new problems and hype at the end

First Time I’ve heard a beta tester this displeased
He posted a comment on Reddit basically saying he thinks the driving mechanics of the system have improved and that his issues are with the poor routing from the gps and how the car isn’t making proper lane choices causing it to miss turns.

Hello Everyone,

I do not care if you watch this video, but I do care to give you an accurate representation of my Beta 10 experience. Here is a list of pros and cons of my first drive.

• 1:15 Improvement 1 - Turned better into onramp
  • 1:27 Improvement 2 - Less hesitant with poor lines on onramp
  • 1:45 Improvement 3 - Merged onto Highway better
  • 4:15 Improvement 4 - Smooth exit
  • 4:20 Improvement 5 - Smoother lane change and turn
  • 4:47 Improvement 6 - No longer tries to hop lane
  • 6:18 Needs Improvement - Shouldn't change lanes here
  • 6:30 Worse from 9.2 - Ignores my cancelations
  • 7:05 Needs Improvement - Should slow down for railroad tracks
  • 8:26 Disengagement 1 - Missed turn
Here is my 2nd drive:

• 0:50 Needs Improvement - Nav doesn't follow road arrows
  • 2:22 Improvement over 9.2 - Smooth accurate turn
  • 3:45 Improvement over 9.2 - more confidant edge detection
  • 4:25 Needs Improvement - Shouldn't stop at yield
  • 5:22 Disengagement 1 - Failed to get in turn lane
  • 6:55 Improvement over 9.2 - didn't try and turn left
  • 7:02 Disengagement 2 - Failed to get in turn lane
Routing has always been one of my biggest issues with Tesla's FSD software. The actual driving mechanics are actually really good and have continued to get even more impressive with version 10. Routing and the car's decision on when and where to change lanes has degraded in version 10. It was already by biggest issue with 9.2 and now has continued having issues.

I am not sure if this is the experience for those on the West Coast, but in Western North Carolina it is a real issue.

I do Tesla no favors by telling them beta 10 is an improvement over 9.2. MY goal is to share my experiences and let you decide. I want to hear what you think, thanks for everyone's support.”

Frenchie in Chicago declares FSD Beta 10 a good incremental update, more confident in turns, but still makes silly mistakes.
Fail on left turn at 6:30 mark.
Yeah, that left turn fail was a showstopper. Elon said the button would be released if there weren’t any major issues with v10. Well, major issue identified. Barring a huge jump in improvement between 10 and 10.1, I doubt the button is going to be available within the next few weeks, unless it’s just a way to indicate to Tesla that someone is interested in signing up for the Beta (ie It doesn’t really do anything) and not an actual way to download the Beta.

Reactions: Matias

looks like they tweaked how lane lines and road edges are displayed.

I don’t know if it’s the case for all testers, but Dirty Tesla at least says that in his normal everyday use of Beta he does intervene and disengage more often to keep the drives smooth. He tries to let the car do its thing when he’s making a vid - so long as it’s not significantly impacting other drivers - to see what, if any, progress has been made. I would hope that others do the same thing.
Dirty T3sla’s vids are pretty much the only ones I watch, along with Chuck Cook and Frenchie. The others are pretty annoying.