Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, and the cronyism charge implies a conflict of interest that would inhibit honest criticism. The first and most obvious counter to this is that there have been plenty of complaints from many of the drivers, at least the ones I tend to follow. Maybe less so from some others, but I'm less familiar with those.

The second point is that it's not just a narrative that's subject to spin with no objective proof; we can all watch each situation develop and reach our own conclusions. People can and do, all the time, disagree with the comments expressed by the testers. This is seen in the YouTube comments (that I don't use very much), the TMC analysis and I'm sure also on Twitter and Reddit (an assumption as I have little to no presence on those). I along with others have often expressed my differences with the decision and path planning choices of FSD, or sometimes with the testers when they actually wished the car would do something I think it definitely should not do.

So far I haven't really picked up on any unhealthy or truth-burying tendency of the FSD testers, to try to burnish their relationship with Tesla by soft-pedaling FSD deficiencies. But I can see how the interpretation of behavior will vary widely on the pessimism-to-optimism spectrum based on one's expectations and biases. If you're already disgusted, nothing much will please you - and then you'll be suspicious of any positive spin, open to nefarious explanations of the reviewers' motives.

I think there are a few reviewers who make a good amount from YouTube. But there's no compensation from Tesla as far as I know; their source of income is from popularity and the way the YouTube algorithm works. They have to please their audience, and I don't think that audience is generally looking for fawning praise of Tesla.

so they pick 78-100 people out of ~250k people with the FSD package and those 70-100 people somehow includes almost every single famous Tesla Superfan? seriously? You don't see that and the problem with it

Following anything Tesla related is often maddening because of the lack of objectivity.

Whether its a beta tester or a poster in here.

There seems to be only a few people who are truly objective who can point out good things while also pointing out bad things.

The objective people Iwatch are DirtyTesla, AI Addict and Frenchie... I'm sure there are more like Chuck, etc. But yeah there are not alot.

Should there be laws not allowing conversations in the car or hands free voice calling? How dangerous is live streaming compared to those?
There have been studies that show your ability to pay attention is lowered while having a conversation. But also when you do a live stream you are also trying to look at the comments back because the point of a live stream is to allow two way conversation.

They really aren’t making much. Most don’t have any kind of sponsorship or Patreon, and YouTube pays pennies for each view if there are ads on the vid, and they don’t really get a ton of views. Even the ones with a Patreon page aren’t making much. I’d say they’re likely actually losing money considering some of the cameras and drone tech that some of them are using in their vids.
Yeah people assume that YouTube = money for some reason. A video with 500k views might get you $10 dollars.

The real money is in paid promotions in your video and Patreon…. Both seem to be lacking in the fsd vids.

Here is a calculator to figure out how much money you can make ion YouTube.

The average engagement rate throughout all of YouTube is 1%, for highly rated videos it is around 5%

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
OK, so there are several people in this thread who are obviously anti-Tesla, or at least, anti-FSD.

Can you tell us what Tesla would need to change in order for you to change your opinion of them? Please tell us how they should be developing FSD. What's the most fair way for them to do so that would please you? What are they doing currently that has made you have such a negative opinion? If they aren't currently doing something wrong, then what in the past has made you so anti Tesla? Have they taken any steps to correct those issues? How should they be selecting their beta testers? Is it wrong for them to be beta testing in plain sight with open transparency?

The positive people have explained why they are positive about the situation. Rather than just tell those people how wrong they are, let's hear how you'd do it in order to make things right.

Yes, Elon bit off way more than he could chew when he told us the timeline for FSD back in the beginning, and probably even now. But I don't think that anyone knew that it was going to be this hard to pull this off in the 21st century. Having to "solve the majority of AI to get it to work" was perfectly see-able with hindsight. Were you so smart that you saw this in the windshield? Having to fall back on a "just look at the promised dates" to support your argument is pretty weak sauce. Elon has admitted that it was much harder than he ever foresaw, and that he was wrong. Admitting that you're wrong is hard. ;)

C'mon, guys... don't just chew people's opinions apart with weak arguments and FUD; let's hear why you feel the way you do, and what Tesla needs to do to appease you. You've all stated that they're doing it so wrong, so tell us what they need to do to do it right.

Lay it all out so we see where you're coming from.

Those pillars are protected by a solid white line on both sides.

In California, my Autopilot/FSD used to be able to cross a solid white for a lane change until 3/23/2018. Shortly after that, I could not get it to cross a solid white line anymore, even now.

It's unclear the CA DMV would allow crossing a solid white line:

"...wait until a single broken white line appears..."
Interesting, in that posted signs specifically warn against crossing a DOUBLE WHITE LINE from mainline to HOV or vice versa. The DMV information is a bit muddy, but does suggest waiting to cross at a broken single white line.

There is nothing in CVC prohibiting lane changing across a SINGLE WHITE LINE. Some law enforcement officers may be confused, but if cited for this violation, it's a guaranteed win in traffic court (assuming the lane change was done SAFELY).

Yes, Elon has chosen quite a few YouTubers to test FSD beta. And, IMO, did so for maximum transparency so people can watch the progress of development unfold. But of course, this gets twisted by the FUDsters into being a bad thing. /facedesk Had they done it closed beta with zero transparency, FUDsters would complain about that. Yet doing it with full transparency, and the FUDsters claim cronyism. No way to please these types of people.

But there are also *a lot* of FSD testers who never even had a YouTube channel before getting FSD beta, and currently have such low subscription and watch counts that the money they are making on their videos is exactly zero dollars.

Yup, I'm pro-Tesla. But I'm also not a blind fan boy. I will be the first to admit that Tesla has some serious problems right now with quality control and customer service. Serious problems that could be a huge detriment to the company. Tesla isn't perfect. Elon isn't perfect. No one, no company IS perfect.

But to throw poop just to throw poop is just as bad as blind fanboi-ism.

Last edited:
Were you so smart that you saw this in the windshield?
Yes, because billions had already been spent trying to solve the problem before Elon claimed it was "solved". It was already the most difficult engineering problem ever attempted in my opinion.
So, I didn't buy FSD.
My only complaint is that I don't think Tesla's approach of having customers test beta FSD software is going to be safe. I'll be happy to proven wrong though because it's definitely entertaining and fascinating. If it's not safe they should go back to testing it with trained safety drivers until it's done. I'm definitely not anti-Tesla, when FSD is ready I'll be happy to purchase it.

Reactions: Phlier
My only complaint is that I don't think Tesla's approach of having customers test beta FSD software is going to be safe.
Now THAT'S the way it's done. Put up a valid concern and WHY it's valid. This is the kind of discourse we need here.

And I agree. Tesla needs to at least put some sort of vetting effort into their beta testers in order to keep it as safe as possible. There is more than one YouTube FSD beta tester that seriously shouldn't be using ANY sort of driver assist device, let alone a beta version.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Those pillars are protected by a solid white line on both sides.

In WA where the video was shot, changing lanes across the solid white is apparently legal

Note however the cop they initially asked thought it wasn't legal but said they need to check with Seattle DOT to be sure. DOT confirmed it WAS legal.

And I agree. Tesla needs to at least put some sort of vetting effort into their beta testers in order to keep it as safe as possible. There is more than one YouTube FSD beta tester that seriously shouldn't be using ANY sort of driver assist device, let alone a beta version.
I thought there was some verification once they were in the FSD beta program as in March they removed some.
Google search: tesla beta tester revoked

“FSD Beta has now been expanded to ~2000 owners & we’ve also revoked beta where drivers did not pay sufficient attention to the road. No accidents to date.”

Tesla has some data.
5:48 PM · Apr 10, 2021

Got a sample of the Tesla Insurance telemetry data. The insurance records are on a per drive basis. Here's the fields:

* Unique Drive ID
* Record Version
* Car Firmware Version
* Driver Profile Name
* Start / End Time
* Drive Duration
* Start / End Odometer
* # of Autopilot Strikeouts
* # of Forward Collision Warnings
* # of Lane Departure Warnings
* # of ABS activations (All & User)
* Time spent within 1s of car in front
* Time spent within 3s of car in front
* Acceleration Variance
* Service Mode
* Delivered

ie.
* tail gating - time to car in front, collision warnings, ABS activations
* inattention - autopilot strikeouts, warnings
* heavy throttle usage - acceleration variance

Also this data:

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
As far as Kim's difficulties lets wait and see the results of her camera calibration and rebooting. That made a world of difference to Brandon's drives.
+1. I lowered my Y 1" with coil overs and couldn't understand why my regular AP/FSD (not part of the beta) sucked so bad. I thought it was just a crappy release. It wouldn't brake or slow down for cars in front of me until the last second. Then it dawned on me that in lowering the car, I'd changed the perspective of the cameras. I did a calibration and it completely fixed the issue and AP/FSD has been great since. I can't wait for the beta and would be thrilled to try it as is.

My only complaint is that I don't think Tesla's approach of having customers test beta FSD software is going to be safe.
I disagree. Paying someone minimum wage even with training and they are less likely to pay attention. When you are doing something "fun" on your own time, you are way more likely to not tune out and pay attention. I think it was smart of Tesla to do it this way.