Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be, however when you pay someone to do it you can fire them if they're doing a bad job.

You can fire people working for free too.

In fact Tesla somewhat famously did so- removing a number of FSDbeta drivers when the data showed they were operating unsafely. (Speculation was around the rear-view cam registering them as driving without watching the road too often).

Chuck gets wayyy too much credit. Him repeatedly testing the exact same insane left turn seems unnecessary and dangerous. Once, maybe twice is sufficient. We get it, the current iteration cannot reliably complete the insanely difficult left turn. I can’t imagine they need him to test it 25 times in a row.

What's funny is- like 2 pages ago someone else was complaining the FSD videos were useless because they don't repeatedly test the same thing and just try a thing once or twice and if it works how do you know that's a "real" success or not?

Now someone else is complaining of the exact opposite.

But if the SW fails a significant amount of time at a specific spot and task, it's pretty clear Tesla needs more data on THAT spot and task. How else is it going to improve?

How much do you think you tube pays per view?
I had a Youtube autopilot video (AP1) about 4 years ago and it got about 900,000 views before I made it private. (Too many people were thinking I was Joshua Brown, the guy who was killed in that AP accident in Florida).

Never received a penny, but Youtube has a few requirements that need to be met before the video is monetized.

Google “Elon admit mistake”, then feel free to peruse the dozens of examples where he has done just that.
Maybe so, but the joy of a joke is that it doesn't have to be accurate.

Until he admits they were wrong to take money for *checks calendar* 4 years and 11 months without giving a single significant feature, and does something about it, I genuinely don't care about anything he says ever again.

Nice vid of an iffy drive. He basically just posts a number of clips of the car either succeeding or failing and I like how he occasionally zooms in and pauses on what the screen is showing when the car screws up. Interesting moment where the car incorrectly tries to go around a bus while displaying the message “moving around cones” with zero cones on the road and zero cones displayed by the car. Also an interesting failed unprotected left where it does a good job waiting for a number of cars but then appears to decide to go. It’s interesting because you can kinda see on the screen that the car appears to see the car coming from the left but the “tentacle” definitely changed from the short “creep” tentacle to the long dotted “path” tentacle.

You can fire people working for free too.

In fact Tesla somewhat famously did so- removing a number of FSDbeta drivers when the data showed they were operating unsafely. (Speculation was around the rear-view cam registering them as driving without watching the road too often).

What's funny is- like 2 pages ago someone else was complaining the FSD videos were useless because they don't repeatedly test the same thing and just try a thing once or twice and if it works how do you know that's a "real" success or not?

Now someone else is complaining of the exact opposite.

But if the SW fails a significant amount of time at a specific spot and task, it's pretty clear Tesla needs more data on THAT spot and task. How else is it going to improve?
Anyone watching AI day could gather that they do not need numerous attempts of the exact same scenario/task to train the NN.

It’s fascinating to go back and watch the original Autonomy Day FSD video and realize how primitive it seems now, especially since Tesla was likely using HD maps at the time:

That's funny because that was exactly was everyone told you when it was released, that it was highway and empty streets with virtually no traffic and you refused to listen to them. Now all of a sudden, you "realized". How touching...

• Disagree
Reactions: Dutchie
I should point out even if people made lots of money from Youtube videos, a key point is it's not predicated on saying positive things (about Tesla or otherwise). So people can say completely negative things about Tesla (there are some channels dedicated to this) and still make money if they go past the monetization line. I think there's enough FSD Beta videos out there that we know Tesla isn't really filtering things, as we get a look at all aspects (even when it is performing quite poorly). It's a view we don't really get from other ADAS development.
This is flat out not true. SolvingTheMoneyProblem, AIDriver, etc is proof of this.

You don't make money if all you did was positive or negative videos about tesla from start to finish.
You make money and get views only if you make completely outlandish superfan vids about Tesla that's well done.
I remember SolvingTheMoneyProblem first videos. I was there for that whole fiasco when he decided to make vids.
TMIOTesla is another and i could keep going. some of these youtube acounts are not even a year old.

But of-couse its normal to get 10-100 million views your first year on youtube and has absolutely nothing to do with the type of content you are doing.

Last edited:
Ofcourse its gonna improve. The real question is what is the rate of improvement versus other AV systems. But based on what we are seeing their rate of improvement is akin Nissan and not Google. They have a very average but subpar rate of improvement.

Tesla fans always claim this exponential magic rate that is 100% fabricated and doesn't exist. What tesla fans should be praying that their rate of improvement is atleast as good as Waymo.

Waymo
2009 - 25 mile (based on their 10 100 mile uninterrupted challenge)
2012 - 500 (guesstimate)
2015- 1,244.37 mile (CA Disengagement report)
2016 - 5,127.97 mile (CA Disengagement report)
2017 - 5,595.95 mile (CA Disengagement report)
2018 -11,154.3 mile (CA Disengagement report)
2019 - 13,219.4 mile (CA Disengagement report)
2020 - 29,944.69 mile (CA Disengagement report)
2021 - 35,000 (projected based on history)
2022 - 90,000 (projected based on history)

These are a useful starting point, but one has to normalize for the quality of those miles, vs both where Tesla vehicles are operating and even changes between years for Waymo.

For many of those years, most miles accrued were probably in Mountain View, CA. I worked in there much of last decade, certainly some challenging intersections but nothing crazy. But at some point I assume they started doing more testing elsewhere, was that a steady increase or step function increase in a few years? For instance, it looks like not much improvement btw 2018 and 2019, but if Waymo tested in more difficult areas in 2019, then that would be considered bigger progress than it appears.

With Tesla we have no real data, we have to do some estimation for any comparison of absolute state and rate of change. I really don't know about absolute state. I like to think of what it would be in one particular area, say Mountain View, or Chandler Az.

If FSD 10 was operating in Chandler, what do you think the miles / disengagement would be? I'd guess somewhere in the 100s, maybe. Maybe less.

So quite low compared to Waymo. That being said, the rate of progress in the past year seems faster than anything Waymo has showed. I could easily see a 10x on this metric in the past year.

Based on so much of the interventions being routing confusion, I could easily see this improve 10x in the next year. At that point, Tesla could be in the thousands of miles / intervention (again I'm saying on the same distribution of environments Waymo is reporting on, not just downtown SF).

So Waymo is probably 100 times better than Tesla right now, and maybe 10 times better next year. After that I don't have a clear idea of where the interventions are going to cluster and what the limiting factors will be. How much more can Tesla improve at that time, and how quickly. I would guess the rate of improvement would slow down a lot. Maybe 2x or 3x. Much is dependent on how many of the issues are due to limitations of the cameras and inference compute power.

But if Tesla can reach 10x from current state, I think that makes a darn good L2 system. Enough to make most customers happy. Progress to L4, I'm gonna reevaluate in another year.

Reactions: powertoold
If FSD 10 was operating in Chandler, what do you think the miles / disengagement would be? I'd guess somewhere in the 100s, maybe. Maybe less.

If Tesla spent a single week fine-tuning the lane semantics / parking lots specifically for the routes that Waymo takes in Chandler, I think V10 would be comparable to Waymo's disengagement rate (which is around 1 in 500 miles in JJRick's videos). This is how much of a joke Waymo is becoming. In the coming months, it'll become clearer and clearer as we look back at JJRick's Waymo videos.

Yes Waymo is just hopeless. Somewhat sad really that yet another really cool Google project gets sidetracked and run sideways. Really almost no change in what they have been doing in 5 years. Very sad. As it is I'd say that in months Tesla is beyond Waymo in terms of quality of drive then in a year Waymo is getting sold off to VW or Toyota or whomever.

I'm so impressed by V10... There are at least 5 mind blowing decisions and maneuvers in this one...
Several impressive maneuvers, but almost causes an accident at 25:37. While waiting to merge from lane blocked by cones, it starts to go too soon, with cars still travelling in the lane to its left, and seems to cause the black sedan to squeal its tires to get out of the way. Tesla driver takes over with brake and wheel. Amazingly, the black car did not honk.

seems to cause the black sedan to squeal its tires to get out of the way

interesting, it doesn’t seem like the black sedan slowed down at all though, so I don’t think the squealing was from it braking. Plus, with abs technology nowadays, car tires shouldn’t be squealing while braking.

but yes, that particular part was risky, beta should have waited longer before creeping out towards the right lane.