Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslas insurance algorithms explicitly include using autopilot.... (for example forced disengagements from ignored AP alerts count against you)
That's the only part of AP they use.

1. ABS Activation – Number of times ABS is activated
  2. Hours Driven – Average daily driving time
  3. Forced Autopilot Disengagements – Number of times Autopilot is disabled due to ignored alerts
  4. Forward Collision Warnings – Number of times car detects a potential forward collision
  5. Unsafe Following Time – Portion of time spent at an unsafe following distance
  6. Intensity of Acceleration and Braking – Speed variance due to extreme acceleration and braking. Shown on a scale from 0-10 as measured against Tesla’s internal fleet.

So, don't set off ABS. Easy.
Hours. Are more or less better???? Can you get the beta by just npt driving for 7 days?
Ok, don't ignore AP warnings.
OK, don't set off FCW, and make sure you set it to "late"
Umm, what is an "unsafe" following distance? Does AP set to "1" count?

Then, number 6... Ooof. That's where they will get you. Lets' advertise PLAID and LUDICRIS and PERFORMANCE and "Tesla never sells slow cars" and then call anyone that uses any of that acceleration an "unsafe driver.:

Other insurance companies gave up on #6. It's been proven to have no useful acturarial value without context. You really want me to not brake hard when that light turns yellow and risk running a Red? You really want me to dart around that car that pulls out in front of me instead of braking?

Tesla wasn't even using these Statistics for their own insurance back in June. They were "investigating" it.

This all feels like a joke by Elon and a way for him to act like both delays in release and the completely random nature of who gets it are somehow driven by big data.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
That's the only part of AP they use.

So you were wrong when you said they didn't use AP. Thanks for recognizing it :)

Overall you seem unreasonably mad they're starting the rollout with measurably safer drivers though- almost sounds like you want accidents. Weird.

It's interesting that they are blocking the release from their newest, most expensive cars too.

What's the source of this "interesting" info?

I think TMC should start a "FSDbeta prayer circle" thread for the TSLAQ trolls and FUDsters. 😂😅😆😁

Elon/Tesla gave them a week or so countdown before their last great hope evaporates just like "demand issues" and "bankwupt".

Tesla's Q3 earnings should be even better (!!!) by being able to recognize that last bit of FSDbeta money as revenue.

What's the source of this "interesting" info?
They are using acceleration data to evaluate "safe" drivers, while simultaneously selling the fastest accelerating street car ever sold.

If acceleration is unsafe, then Tesla is not a "safety first" company selling 1000 HP super sedans, and anyone that dares use the car the way it is advertised will be blocked from getting the beta.

Overall you seem unreasonably mad they're starting the rollout with measurably safer drivers though- almost sounds like you want accidents. Weird.
Can you show me any data that shows that these measurements are actuarial data that prove they are safer drivers?
I've actually worked with huge fleet companies that have tried to use this kind of data. It doesn't work. Context matters to every one of these metrics. This is why all the insurance companies tried OBDII dongles back in the mid teens and have mostly stopped using them.

Remember, by Tesla's own numbers, a huge impact to safety is just not driving the car at all.

But the real genius of this by Musk is that this is an opaque measurement, and nobody will really know why they were chosen or not, and Tesla can roll it out to 1% of people that pushed the button and go "yep, those were the safest drivers." - and it's awesome marketing too, acting like they have some actual way to measure individual drivers.

So, if this process works, why isn't Tesla using it to set their insurance rates yet?

They are using acceleration data to evaluate "safe" drivers, while simultaneously selling the fastest accelerating street car ever sold.

If acceleration is unsafe, then Tesla is not a "safety first" company selling 1000 HP super sedans, and anyone that dares use the car the way it is advertised will be blocked from getting the beta.
I get the argument you're making here, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the safety evaluation. None of us have any idea how each of the categories are weighted or what the minimum bar for entry is.

Can you show me any data that shows that these measurements are actuarial data that prove they are safer drivers?

Can you show me some that proves they're not?

I mean, Tesla thinks they do- and unlike you they actually have a line of business offering car insurance.

Versus your side of the argument that appears to consistent entire of "Nu uh!"

I find theirs more compelling so far but I remain open to any actual evidence you might have.

I've actually worked with huge fleet companies that have tried to use this kind of data. It doesn't work. Context matters to every one of these metrics.

Weird.

You say context matters and then insist whatever "experience" you have with an entirely different solution from entirely different people, in an entirely different context, is relevant.

This is why all the insurance companies tried OBDII dongles back in the mid teens and have mostly stopped using them.

Have they?

That's from a few months ago and suggest they largely still use them.

Maybe they all had better "context" than whomever you were unable to make it work for? :)

Remember, by Tesla's own numbers, a huge impact to safety is just not driving the car at all.

Can you quote where they say that- rather than you rewording and misunderstand something they ACTUALLY said?

I mean, obviously you can't get into a car accident if you're not in a car- but surely you had SOME point more cogent than that-- right?

What was it again?

This is how sure Tesla is of their driver monitoring capabilities from Tesla's insurance page:

Does Tesla Insurance use driver data to price insurance?
We use anonymized, aggregated data to inform our insurance rates, such as including the benefits of Tesla's active safety and advanced driver assistance features. Tesla Insurance does not currently use data from individual vehicles, such as GPS or vehicle camera footage. We plan to expand the product offerings to incorporate more types of data over time.

Yep. They don't trust it enough to set insurance rates, but sure, let's use it to distribute an FSD beta to "the proven safest drivers"

It's all marketing. It's all a way for Elon to have an opaque way to distribute this beta to a few more people and drag the masses just another two weeks into waiting.

Reactions: qdeathstar
I suspect the approach Tesla is taking here, regardless of which argument you use is to try and protect themselves from regulators in two ways.
1) Yes "Regulator" we did apply good driving checks before letting beta testers use FSD.
2) Yes "Regulator" we now have added camera monitoring in addition to steering wheel nags. So "Yes we're doing everything we can to make sure the driver is paying attention". Now having camera monitor too is key.

Of course whether you agree or disagree with the methodology in #1 just having something in place is important as some form of gate keeper.

Reactions: qdeathstar
It's ready! You just have to be ready to take over when it runs stop signs (which it can see) at 16mph, misses traffic with right of way, and avoids imaginary cones by going into crosshatched areas. Wide release will be very exciting.

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 2.04.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 2.07.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 2.10.04 PM.png