Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's ready! You just have to be ready to take over when it runs stop signs (which it can see) at 16mph, misses traffic with right of way, and avoids imaginary cones by going into crosshatched areas. Wide release will be very exciting.

Very nice drive, made some impressive unprotected lefts, but ya, I have trouble seeing a wide release with 10.0.1. Perhaps 10.1 is the amazing SeKReT SauCe version Tesla has been developing in Elon's basement since 2016.

That number is made up. Not a single one of JJRick's driverless video contains a safety disengagement. Getting stuck in a parking lot is NOT a safety disengagement, neither is stopping on the road. I don't know how many times this has to be explained to you.

Find me a driverless video of waymo driving off a cliff.
Find me a video of a driverless waymo running into cars, walls, objects, climbing curbs, poles, bollards, columns, barriers, construction/road closure signs, driving on the opposite lane, driving into merging traffic, etc.
That is a safety disengagement. Getting stuck is NOT. Unless you have a reliable and safe L5 car, there will always be a situation where the car gets stuck.

But guess what, i can find you a dozen videos from FSD Beta 10 alone of the car trying to do all of the above.

@ZeApelido how can you like this post and yet claim to be objective?

Hey Bladkersb and anyone else. Mobileye has requested an interview with my channel the Market Is Open. If you're interested in some questions I could ask them please let me know here or you can email me at [email protected]

I'd like to see those, but not interested in wading through 30 minutes of video.
Fails to detect green arrow

Unclear if it's running red light, but tries to

Crosses yellow hatch lines and leaves lane

Fails to detect traffic while entering road

Runs stop sign

It reads flashing yellow lights as yellow and red, but does not react even though it thinks the lights are red
FSDBeta 10.0.1 First Impressions - Memorial Park Drive

Changing lanes in an intersection

Fails to detect green arrow

Unclear if it's running red light, but tries to

Crosses yellow hatch lines and leaves lane

Fails to detect traffic while entering road

Runs stop sign

It reads flashing yellow lights as yellow and red, but does not react even though it thinks the lights are red

Changing lanes in an intersection
Very relaxing! Button end of next week allegedly. Should be interesting; this still seems like a bear to monitor.

Button in a week but then another week before anyone gets access. So there could be two versions between now and the opt-in people getting it.
Yes, that is very clear from the sequencing. Obviously a lot of monitoring will be required still in two weeks.

I detect the possibility of a Smart-Summon-like viral moment, but without wide release (only wider release), so the best of all worlds, arguably. Threading the needle!

[....] For City Streets, the primary function that is added is finally the car being able to make left and right turns on intersections.
For "City Streets" do you mean "NOA for city streets", as tested by the small band of FSD beta testers,
or "Autosteer on City Streets", which exists now for everyone with FSD intrepid enough?

What I'm getting at (as I've said elsewhere), why do many assume that Autosteer on City Streets
will do hard turns at intersections? It's easily possible that autosteer in town will act just as it
does on the highway and allow for driving straight with lane changing, etc., but with the added
functionality of working on streets without lane markings, guiding thru narrow streets (on curves, too)
including parked cars, nudging around cars with open doors, driving around double-parked cars when
it can, going thru intersections w/o confirmation -- all much welcomed.

But the NOA-on-city-streets folk are testing 90-degree intersection turns not by putting on
a turn signal to have autosteer take the next right or left, but by using what is essentially NOA.

From the existing videos, the public seems not quite ready for such drastic actions. If high-radius
turns are known to be tougher from a safety perspective, then I see no reason why Tesla won't
be conservative with "Autosteer on City Streets" when it's rolled out to a wide audience.

Even the more limited functionally of *everything but intersections* requires major changes
beyond current autosteer, i.e. multi-camera stitching to the vector-space domain, totally revamped
NNs, a completely different path planner, etc. That's huge, and we don't even have Tesla Vision
for radar cars yet. Safety first, which to me implies gradualism with new features.

Last edited:
For "City Streets" do you mean "NOA for city streets", as tested by the small band of FSD beta testers,
or "Autosteer on City Streets", which exists now for everyone with FSD intrepid enough?
I'm talking about whatever Tesla is referring to in the order page as "Autosteer on city streets", which does not exist for everyone yet, according to Tesla.

Autosteer on city streets.jpg

"Navigate on Autopilot On City Streets" is terminology that CA DMV used (see page 13), but that is not how Tesla describes their system. Tesla calls it FSD - City Streets or simply "City Streets" in correspondence and you can see on page 30 they explicitly say when they say "City Streets" they mean exactly the production feature mentioned above in the order page (bold emphasis mind). They are also very clear that FSD Beta is only testing for this "City Streets" L2 function and not some L3/L4/L5 system (when they get to that part they will have a lot more filings with the DMV).
Features that comprise FSD Capability are Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon, Smart Summon, Traffic and Stop Sign Control, and, upcoming, Autosteer on City Streets(City Streets).
PlainSite :: Documents :: California DMV Tesla Robo-Taxi / FSD E-Mails
What I'm getting at (as I've said elsewhere), why do many assume that Autosteer on City Streets
will do hard turns at intersections? It's easily possible that autosteer in town will act just as it
does on the highway and allow for driving straight with lane changing, etc., but with the added
functionality of working on streets without lane markings, guiding thru narrow streets (on curves, too)
including parked cars, nudging around cars with open doors, driving around double parked cars when
it can, going thru intersections w/o confirmation -- all much welcomed.

But the NOA-on-city-streets folk are testing 90-degree intersection turns not by putting on
a turn signal to have autosteer take the next right or left, but by using what is essentially NOA.

From the existing video, the public seems not quite ready for such drastic actions. If high-radius
turns are known to be tougher from a safety perspective, then I see no reason why Tesla won't
be conservative with "Autosteer on City Streets" when it's rolled out to a wide audience.
Tesla can possibility do a staggered release of features as you suggest, but they have not indicated they are planning to do so, nor have they indicated to the DMV they are doing so (there is no separate NOA on City Streets vs Autosteer on City Streets function that can be turned on separate from each other). I don't see any good reason for such staggered release, as that'll only mean more confusion.

Q: You must be a good driver not to drive, which may become a new norm.
A (Elon): Ironically, yes at this time. FSD beta system at times can seem so good that vigilance isn’t necessary, but it is. Also, any beta user who isn’t super careful will get booted. 2000 beta users operating for almost a year with no accidents. Needs to stay that way.
Code:
https://twitter.com/hiromichimizuno/status/1439037002951708677
ZoSYyE4.jpg

Reactions: powertoold
A (Elon): Ironically, yes at this time. FSD beta system at times can seem so good that vigilance isn’t necessary, but it is. Also, any beta user who isn’t super careful will get booted. 2000 beta users operating for almost a year with no accidents. Needs to stay that way.

That's hard to believe considering what we've seen lol, impressive if true. Perhaps accident means DMV reportable accident.

Reactions: Matias
I'm talking about whatever Tesla is referring to in the order page as "Autosteer on city streets", which does not exist for everyone yet, according to Tesla.

View attachment 710808
"Navigate on Autopilot On City Streets" is terminology that CA DMV used (see page 13), but that is not how Tesla describes their system. Tesla calls it FSD - City Streets or simply "City Streets" in correspondence and you can see on page 30 they explicitly say when they say "City Streets" they mean exactly the production feature mentioned above in the order page (bold emphasis mind). They are also very clear that FSD Beta is only testing for this "City Streets" L2 function and not some L3/L4/L5 system (when they get to that part they will have a lot more filings with the DMV).

PlainSite :: Documents :: California DMV Tesla Robo-Taxi / FSD E-Mails

Tesla can possibility do a staggered release of features as you suggest, but they have not indicated they are planning to do so, nor have they indicated to the DMV they are doing so (there is no separate NOA on City Streets vs Autosteer on City Streets function that can be turned on separate from each other). I don't see any good reason for such staggered release, as that'll only mean more confusion.
Thank you for all that great info from Tesla to DMV! The terminology dovetails with limiting what "Autosteer
on city streets" (what is mentioned as part of the purchase contract) needs to do compared with "Navigate
on Autopilot [NOA] on City Streets" as mentioned to DMV, perhaps a superset of what will be rolled out
to we plebeians.

It's both great that Tesla has reduced expectations to DMV that even NOA City Streets is still L2, and
it's nice that Tesla has covered their legal behind to potential FSD purchasers that it might even do less,
notwithstanding Musk's Twitter teasing.

As a San Francisco Tesla driver, anything newer than what is offered now will be wonderful, and it may well drive
better than *me* once the NN trains me (not the opposite -- what most people think!) about its limitations.

Whatever Tesla's progress (guided by their crackerjack software crew, simulations, FSD beta feedback, etc.)
has to do with SAE levels, I don't care, because I didn't pay my $5K for FSD (incl. HW3 upgrade)
to turn an excellent car into a robo-taxi, but just to ease the pain of city (and highway, as it already has) driving.

To others here -- moving goalposts about what Musk hints vs. reality-on-the-ground
doesn't work with me, because my expectations are such that it's all good, because
no other car compares.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
Code:
ZoSYyE4.jpg
Definitely sounds like they are very conscious of the risks and will be looking to mitigate them as much as possible. Now this makes me wonder how quickly they can add testers while staying on top of all the data coming in and effectively stamping out bad behavior/trends before they become accidents.

There will be tools to flag the relevant data and bring them to the forefront, but I imagine actually booting someone from the Beta will involve a good chunk of humans assessing what's coming through and making the call on an individual level. Or maybe they'll have a system that automatically disables your access based on some hard criteria, and then you can opt to dispute your case. That feels like a relatively cavalier way of handling something that many people are passionate about having access to, but it would make a lot of sense in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Nah, it doesn't look like it would have went (the dots were gray, you can watch at 0.25x), but the creeping behavior was too close.
Then that’s the same issue that they need to fix: the car’s wheels should be straight until it is going to go, otherwise you get situations like this where at the very least the car freaks out both the Tesla driver and the driver of the oncoming car.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Code:
ZoSYyE4.jpg
I’ve watched several beta testers post videos of them allowing the car to do extremely unsafe things. I have major questions as to what behavior Tesla thinks is so egregious that they would boot a user off if they’re letting the stuff I’ve seen go.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life