Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't say I see much of a difference in how it's handling cones compared to previous updates

Like am I crazy or does it do quite badly aside from dodging three cones in the middle of the lanes

Reactions: skipere
Here's what I've noticed on 10.5 so far:
  1. Phantom slowdowns of 3 to 5 mph are about the same or maybe more frequent.
  2. Traffic circles are still terrible.
  3. Left and right turns are smoother. The car begins the turn then slows down and then completes the turn.
  4. Eye and steering wheel nags are becoming annoying. I can't even look at the screen for a split second to change music channels without getting an eye nag reminder.
  5. I have a street near my house with an uphill curve and a white horse fence on the right. Prior FSD beta versions would steer straight towards the fence. 10.5 follows the road correctly.
Fence

NHTSA is very likely upping the attentiveness requirements in their regular discussions with Tesla, possibly after that first reported accident?

Throwback to the days when the cabin camera wasn’t used at all for eyeball monitoring and (I think) Elon kinda disregarded the idea of it being used that way

Reactions: K5TRX and EVNow
Yeah it's a lot better. It doesn't hug center as much. I'd prefer it stay to the right a bit more, but this is definitely improved. For the most part, my left-side tires never cross the centerline anymore. On some turns, it will cut the corner a bit and cross, but I haven't seen it go completely into the oncoming side to cut a corner, like it used to do in 10.2-10.4.
In my first drive it seemed to stay a couple feet more to the right. Definitely not “near-perfect” though! Lots of issues with creeping for visibility at unsigned intersections, slow turns, turning wheel before making turns. Some steering jerking as normal. Very limited sample so far so it’s possible it is not as much of a change as I think, or that it is better than I think.

But definitely not anywhere near perfect. A passenger would definitely know I was not driving…not a good thing.

NHTSA is very likely upping the attentiveness requirements in their regular discussions with Tesla, possibly after that first reported accident?

Throwback to the days when the cabin camera wasn’t used at all for eyeball monitoring and (I think) Elon kinda disregarded the idea of it being used that way
Possible - or as happens with teams under the regulatory microscope, voluntarily Tesla decided to show they are being responsible.

Possible - or as happens with teams under the regulatory microscope, voluntarily Tesla decided to show they are being responsible.
Definitely possible too, although it feels less likely the company would voluntarily ramp up something that could annoy users

NHTSA has long had their hands on this side of driver assistance programs, IIRC the "AP Jail" aspect of ignoring nags had originated from a previous NHTSA investigation.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: KArnold and EVNow
Definitely possible too, although it feels less likely the company would voluntarily ramp up something that could annoy users

NHTSA has long had their hands on this side of driver assistance programs, IIRC the "AP Jail" aspect of ignoring nags had originated from a previous NHTSA investigation.
Weird aspect of Biden pro-union / anti-climate "triangulation" policy is that it actually ties NHTSA hands. Now whatever they do w.r.t. Tesla will be looked at as political.

Weird aspect of Biden pro-union / anti-climate "triangulation" policy is that it actually ties NHTSA hands. Now whatever they do w.r.t. Tesla will be looked at as political.
I'm a pretty easy going guy IRL. Wife has always said that she appreciates how it really takes a lot to harsh my mellow (or marsh my mallow), but the whole Biden Tesla/GM electrification etc. thing manages to really set me off.

To the point that I gotta stop typing now before I have to buy a new keyboard.

I don't have enough hands to facepalm adequately.

Still waiting for 10.5 here...

Edit: Picked up my phone after posting, and got the Update Available message.

To the point that I gotta stop typing now before I have to buy a new keyboard.

I don't have enough hands to facepalm adequately.
LOL.

Politics is dirty (& deadly). Politicians are self-centered - they make decisions purely based on how the decision affects their favorability or re-election.

I stopped even using Twitter to keep my sanity.

Upgrade Information:
I noticed that after the upgrade to 2121.36.8.8 , I can see two strikes against me on FSD. I think this is relation to an incident that came out of nowhere on Friday night, and another one where I exceeded AP speed (easy to do here legally). Just a heads up for anyone taking the update - if you have forced disengagements previously, it looks to me like they carry over.

Autopilot Menu, under "Full Self-Driving"

Attachments

• PXL_20211123_195323270.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211123_195323270.MP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Upgrade Information:
I noticed that after the upgrade to 2121.36.8.8 , I can see two strikes against me on FSD. I think this is relation to an incident that came out of nowhere on Friday night, and another one where I exceeded AP speed (easy to do here legally). Just a heads up for anyone taking the update - if you have forced disengagements previously, it looks to me like they carry over.
Cool. Good to know it is visible.

Must have been another incident - or you exceeded the 80mph on a road where FSD was active (quite possible - what was the exact situation?). I’ve exceeded the 80mph speed limit on the freeway (while using NOA, so no FSD) and gotten locked out twice since the start of FSD Beta. The last time was within the last two weeks IIRC (on 10.4).

I have a zero count on version 10.5.

Finally, we know the answer (and as expected, speed limit lockouts when you are not using FSD don’t count, since you are not using FSD on the freeway).
FE27D5AB-0A7E-4C42-B480-557338DC0BBC.jpeg

Or, there is a time limit on the counts. Or they are being displayed incorrectly or reset for some people.

I guess tonight on the way home I need to get myself locked out on the freeway. For science! That should be definitive.

Last edited:
Cool. Good to know it is visible.

Must have been another incident - or you exceeded the 80mph on a road where FSD was active (quite possible - what was the exact situation?). I’ve exceeded the 80mph speed limit on the freeway (while using NOA, so no FSD) and gotten locked out twice since the start of FSD Beta. The last time was within the last two weeks IIRC (on 10.4).

I have a zero count on version 10.5.

Finally, we know the answer (and as expected, speed limit lockouts when you are not using FSD don’t count, since you are not using FSD on the freeway).
View attachment 736522

Or, there is a time limit on the counts. Or they are being displayed incorrectly or reset for some people.

I guess tonight on the way home I need to get myself locked out on the freeway. For science! That should be definitive.

Well, i just did this test for you, i drove over 80 on Friday and got AP jail. Just checked my car with 10.5, and have 0 strikes right now. So pheww!

As someone who thinks 10.2-10.4 were more or less the same, some minor improvements and regressions in each build, 10.5 has been noticeable better for me!

Improvements
-Understanding the correct lane is much improved, there are two areas on my test loop, one right before a right turn, there is an indent where a bus stop is created, car used to dive into the bus lane thinking it was the right turn. That's finally fixed for the first time in 3 builds. Second, where the car used to mistake a left turn lane as the going straight lane, also now fixed for the first time
-Parking lot, neighborhood behavior much improved, my little community is labelled as 25 even though it is meant to be 15 with speed bumps. While not perfect, my car was able to navigate around at the desired 15mph on it's own, and intermittently slowed to 5 for the speed bumps

Some things not improved/regressions
-Speed bumps no longer show on the UI, even though it did seem to slow for 1 above, but it also didn't for a couple
-Unprotected turns and "creeping for visibility" still uncomfortably slow when you have traffic behind you. (same as before)
-Seems to get closer to curbs on both left and right turns for me (possibly worse?)

-Understanding the correct lane is much improved, there are two areas on my test loop, one right before a right turn, there is an indent where a bus stop is created, car used to dive into the bus lane thinking it was the right turn. That's finally fixed for the first time in 3 builds. Second, where the car used to mistake a left turn lane as the going straight lane, also now fixed for the first time
Did you report this often ? I guess you didn't change the map in OSM / TomTom ...

But, this looks like a mapping correction.