Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What was Elon smoking when he said in January that Tesla would have Level 5 by the end of the year?

And don't say weed, because weed does not impair your cognitive functioning that much
This is the experience of the industry with NN
- Takes a long time for neural network to do basic things humans can do easily
- But once that happens, very quickly NN comes to human level and then surpasses the best human

Well, Elon thinks this will be the case for self-driving too. IIRC, he has explicitly talked about this.

Reactions: VValleyEV
- But once that happens, very quickly NN comes to human level and then surpasses the best human

Well, Elon thinks this will be the case for self-driving too. IIRC, he has explicitly talked about this.
Did anyone else in the autonomous vehicle space believe that we could ever possibly have Level 5 by the end of 2021?

What has changed so fundamentally in not even 12 months?

Why is Elon still making unachievable promises with 100% certainty?

Not on topic, but recent videos seem to be illustrating how staggeringly far we are from anything resembling Level 5. Lets say we cut out the rest of the world and geofence FSD strictly to the United States, which I think already makes it Level 4 at best. When do we think we could see a consumer production vehicle with these capabilities?

Do the vehicles even have cameras in the spots necessary to achieve this? Are other sensors truly not required? There are a lot of questions around whether this is even possible with the current setups much less achievable in a calendar year. I have a really hard time imagining being so far off on this, especiallyon the back of six years of similar unmet timelines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: daktari

AP is mostly traditional code. Only sensing is neural nets.

AP is mostly traditional code. Only sensing is neural nets.
AP includes "sensing" - so not sure what you are saying.

Are you saying since only part of FSD is NN and rest not NN, he can't apply NN learnings to FSD ?

There are actually a lot of reasons NN lessons don't seem to apply to autonomous vehicles. Thats a different thing - I'm just stating why Elon seems to be so bullish on FSD unlike most of us.

ps : I don't even consider robo taxis a near term possibility. We can come back to this issue in 2030 and see where we are.

CGP Grey at Tail of the Dragon!

Haven't watched this yet but FSD is pretty solid when it comes to just navigating roads and lane lines and curves etc, complexity and especially interactions with other people are where it really struggles

Came across this last night, two guys who recently got their hands on FSD. One of them says he has watched hours of footage from Beta testers and thought he would be prepared for the experience. Starts out really strong but eventually ends in the one dude looking like he's about to get sick

The answer is in my post you just quoted !
Karpathy tweeted this yesterday in response to the above Tail of the Dragon video

The new lead is still calling it a baby! There was zero chance of this happening, and we have no idea when Level 5 will happen. Elon needs to stop overpromising, stop setting people up for disappointment when yet another promise fails to materialize.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of a sudden, FSDbeta doing well is no big deal.

I doubt this has been repeated by other ADAS systems and Tesla is the last in line to do this. No instances of FSDbeta spontaneously going into the opposite lane after all of those turns. He went both ways, as well.

Haven't watched this yet but FSD is pretty solid when it comes to just navigating roads and lane lines and curves etc, complexity and especially interactions with other people are where it really struggles
[snip]
The new lead is still calling it a baby! There was zero chance of this happening, and we have no idea when Level 5 will happen. Elon needs to stop overpromising, stop setting people up for disappointment when yet another promise fails to materialize.

AP includes "sensing" - so not sure what you are saying.

Are you saying since only part of FSD is NN and rest not NN, he can't apply NN learnings to FSD ?

There are actually a lot of reasons NN lessons don't seem to apply to autonomous vehicles. Thats a different thing - I'm just stating why Elon seems to be so bullish on FSD unlike most of us.
I’m saying, that even if the NN part of AP would work flawlessly, it still would not solve AP’s problems.

New lead ... ? Karpathy has been there for quite some time now. Looks like he shares my view FSD beta is like a 2 year old baby ;) Though, I think he is probably using the term differently (xyz project is my baby) - not in terms of abilities.

With Elon, you take the bad with the good. You learn that over the years if you are an investor - its maddening to see him tweet something moronic and the stock tanks.

Definitely fsd beta is not beta in the sense of AP. Its a real "beta" which requires constant care and supervision. If AP is a 10 year old, FSD Beta is like a 2 year old.

All of a sudden, FSDbeta doing well is no big deal.

I doubt this has been repeated by other ADAS systems and Tesla is the last in line to do this. No instances of FSDbeta spontaneously going into the opposite lane after all of those turns. He went both ways, as well.
FSD Beta has done quite well in these types of situations for a while now. Even city roads at night when an update first hits, many of the Beta testers post up zero disengagement initial drives. Open roads, good lines, no traffic, decent weather, that's a breeze for FSD.

There's nothing particularly challenging about the road shown in this video, it's dangerous because people race it

That said, the guy complains about the car hugging the double yellow line and describes some of the turns as "dicey" for that reason

New lead ... ? Karpathy has been there for quite some time now. Looks like he shares my view FSD beta is like a 2 year old baby ;) Though, I think he is probably using the term differently (xyz project is my baby) - not in terms of abilities.

With Elon, you take the bad with the good. You learn that over the years if you are an investor - its maddening to see him tweet something moronic and the stock tanks.
My bad, I thought Karpathy took CJ's job as the Director of Autopilot