Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sympathize with how AI Addict lost his job with Tesla, but he does not drive very responsibly.

His new video has a few rough sections.

2:32 he allows FSD Beta to drive through a red light and it then stops on a light-rail crossing. Use the brake and stop, if FSD wants to run a red.

9:01 he lets FSD Beta cut off a light-rail train after being given ample warning from the red no-right signal. Pretty stupid. He says "I'm going to have to go quickly...". No you don't. You stop.

9:24 he plays chicken with the light-rail train running beside him. He's not sure if the train is going to go straight or turn right into him and says "are we allowed to go", but despite not knowing what's going on he keeps driving anyway. If the train did turn right he might have hit it. There would likely have been a road signal if it was turning but he did ignore the last one and floored it. He should be more cautious, and is being a bit reckless, in my opinion.

Reactions: diplomat33
I know many of us liked the videos from AI Addict. Well, Tesla fired the employee who was the creator of the AI Addict youtube channel and removed his access to FSD Beta.

I found him to be way too willing to let the beta go without intervening. I didnt realize he was an employee. I’m honestly shocked he wasn’t fired way earlier considering how irresponsible he was with the beta. And wasn’t he also trying to sell FSD swag too? There Is no way any company would be okay with an employee selling stuff based on the company’s products for personal profit.
Informative video of 10.11. Looks like 10.11 is still unsure when making some turns.

Disappointing to see the car still hesitate through a turn after it has already committed. That really has to change.

Unprotected lefts from Chuck. First three were really good, but it was going way too far into the road on a couple of the other ones. It looks better, but needs more work. The real question is if Tesla can program in logic in how to use the median, or if they can just have it re-route to turn right and then U-turn instead.

Unprotected lefts from Chuck. First three were really good, but it was going way too far into the road on a couple of the other ones. It looks better, but needs more work. The real question is if Tesla can program in logic in how to use the median, or if they can just have it re-route to turn right and then U-turn instead.
In that Lee YouTube with James, they made an interesting point.

When you have motivated, volunteer test drivers, why not take usual routes and get as much data as possible ? Waymo can’t do that - so they just reroute.

Are these incremental improvements going to be relevant since 11 is going to be a complete rewrite? Should we keep reporting errors or just wait till 11?
Good to report - hopefully they will test 11 with those scenarios.

BTW, I would not characterize 11 as a “complete rewrite” …. Only some specific parts are being rewritten or more correctly, being moved from c++ to neural network.

BTW, I would not characterize 11 as a “complete rewrite” …. Only some specific parts are being rewritten or more correctly, being moved from c++ to neural network.
Well, I think FSD beta V11 is more about using one stack for both city and highway driving. For example FSD Beta 10.11 has already moved the lane recognition from a "bag of points" and C++ to a NN. But probably only for city streets, not the highway.

Well, I think FSD beta V11 is more about using one stack for both city and highway driving. For example FSD Beta 10.11 has already moved the lane recognition from a "bag of points" and C++ to a NN. But probably only for city streets, not the highway.
Single stack is just one of the features. IMO other features are much more important.

See the sticky thread on 11.

When you have motivated, volunteer test drivers, why not take usual routes and get as much data as possible ? Waymo can’t do that - so they just reroute.

Of course Waymo can. They do it all the time. Waymo has safety drivers for their testing and they have the safety drivers take all routes to collect as much data as possible. That is how they got over 2M miles last year in SF. Waymo only reroutes for the driverless rides with the public. They don't reroute when they are testing with safety drivers.

Of course Waymo can. They do it all the time. Waymo has safety drivers for their testing and they have the safety drivers take all routes to collect as much data as possible. That is how they got over 2M miles last year in SF. Waymo only reroutes for the driverless rides with the public. They don't reroute when they are testing with safety drivers.
Possibly. I’ve never seen high speed ULT in Waymo.

Didn't realize Chuck has a series dedicated to unmarked roads. I have a bunch of these about a mile in total distance getting in and out of my neighborhood, so FSD beta performance on these weighs heavily on my overall impression. Unfortunately it seems that 10.11 is still very bad at these. My roads are much wider than the one Chuck is demoing, but historically it does just as poorly.

Quick summary of issues shown in this video:

- 1:30, 4:05, and a whole lot of other examples throughout - Still likes to hog the center of the road. Other drivers think you're playing chicken with them.
- 1:45 - Stops when oncoming car drives by on their side of the road.
- 2:13 - Starts driving on the wrong side of the road for no apparent reason
- 2:25, 3:45, 7:20 - Can't re-engage FSD/AP because car is actually in the right position in the lane but it thinks it's too close to the right

- 4:45 - probably the worst offenses in the video: car starts moving toward the wrong side of the road as an oncoming car approaches. Note that the other car is already moved all the way over on their side to avoid Chuck and is about to start driving on the grass. Another example at 7:42

- 5:10, 6:35, 7:05 - fails to slow for speed bumps. In other areas of the vid, the car slows but doesn't visualize the bumps. regression.

Chuck's stance (which I agree with) is that it's fine for the car to be center-biased when there's no one around, but move over as as soon as an oncoming car is detected, and move over when approaching an intersection where you have to stop; otherwise you are blocking others trying to turn onto your road.

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
Chuck's stance (which I agree with) is that it's fine for the car to be center-biased when there's no one around, but move over as as soon as an oncoming car is detected, and move over when approaching an intersection where you have to stop; otherwise you are blocking others trying to turn onto your road.

Personally, I would like to see FSD Beta just stick to the side. In some of my rides, the car will go back and forth because it will center itself, then move over when there is a car, then center itself when the car passes, then move over again when the next car comes etc... It would be smoother if it just stayed to one side. Also, I do not see FSD Beta move over when approaching an intersection where it has to stop. In some of my rides, it will still be in the center, sticking into the incoming lane at an intersection on a road with no center lane. That is not good. I agree it needs to do that better.

Reactions: nvx1977
In addition to staying right on one lane roads, I would also like to see Tesla add a lane bias option, with which the user could adjust lane centering to personal preference. From driving a Tesla, one realizes that most other drivers on the road tend to stay to the right of the center line of the lane.

I also notice how on high speed roads many drivers in front of me weave back and forth in the lane. This perception is due to the steady lane centering of the Tesla.

Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
Personally, I would like to see FSD Beta just stick to the side. In some of my rides, the car will go back and forth because it will center itself, then move over when there is a car, then center itself when the car passes, then move over again when the next car comes etc... It would be smoother if it just stayed to one side. Also, I do not see FSD Beta move over when approaching an intersection where it has to stop. In some of my rides, it will still be in the center, sticking into the incoming lane at an intersection on a road with no center lane. That is not good. I agree it needs to do that better.

yeah when I drive, I imagine a center dividing line, and then I center myself within my lane. This gives me plenty of clearance in terms of garbage bins or anything else that might be near the road edge. I understand that there are other use cases of unmarked roads, esp when there is tons of parallel parking where a more center-bias is appropriate to avoid pedestrians moving between parked cars, driver-side doors opening, cyclists, etc. But unless the car is actively trying to avoid something on the right (or passing a car), it should really never cross the undrawn center line.

Reactions: diplomat33
yeah when I drive, I imagine a center dividing line, and then I center myself within my lane. This gives me plenty of clearance in terms of garbage bins or anything else that might be near the road edge. I understand that there are other use cases of unmarked roads, esp when there is tons of parallel parking where a more center-bias is appropriate to avoid pedestrians moving between parked cars, driver-side doors opening, cyclists, etc. But unless the car is actively trying to avoid something on the right (or passing a car), it should really never cross the undrawn center line.

Agreed. I think Tesla could solve this by having the car "draw" an invisible "center lane" on its perception of the road.

I wonder how Tesla AI learn to drive on the right side of the road when there is no way for the FSD Beta testers to input their preference, cause any wiggle of the steering wheel will disengage. To allow the FSD Beta to drive on the middle of the unmarked road will only encourage the neural net to learn and do the wrong thing.