Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The impressive part was the car handling roundabouts at all that conflict with the map data. It was vision overriding map. And I noted that it was a screwup in my original post.

It was a new roundabout with clear lane markings. Vision is very good when roads are "clean" with good lane markings. And Tesla only uses basic nav maps. Tesla relies mostly on vision for actual driving tasks. So with clean lane markings, it is not that surprising IMO that FSD Beta could handle lane keeping in a new roundabout well.

Reactions: gearchruncher
IMO, that was a screwup by FSD Beta. Cutting off another driver like that is bad. Sure, it was slow enough that nobody would have died, but it could have been an accident if the other car was not paying attention and/or moving faster. And cutting off another driver like that is still very bad IMO.

And handling 3 out of the 4 roundabouts is not impressive. That is only 75% success.
Same issue with Dirty Tesla where it went to cut off a car on the roundabout. Something they need to work on fixing next.

Screenshot_20220821-141733~2.png

Last edited:
DirtyTesla

Interesting stuff. Car is super cautious on that UPL at the end, taking a looooong time. Also its creep tolerance is just beyond the comfort level for a human, imo. You could see how closely passing cars were displayed in relation to the creep line. Sure, there might be enough space for cars to pass by if the Tesla crept up to that point, but human drivers wouldn’t be comfortable with someone sticking that far out.

kind of funny about the “uncrashable” car stuff. I guess if the car just sits like a lump, waiting forever for the perfect gap like it did on the UPLs at the end, it won’t crash into anything, but it would piss people around it off and might cause other vehicles to crash as they try to go around the car in a rage.

Reactions: diplomat33
That behavior on the two roundabouts in Chuck's Memorial Park drive looks pretty much the same as 10.12.2, except now the roundabouts aren't covered in cones and he had the vehicle going straight at the second roundabout rather than turning right last time

But watching from 05:00, on 10.12.2 it sat until it had a lead vehicle and this time it had a lead vehicle right off the bat. Either way it was probably thrown off by the cones on the last run

On the second roundabout, it yielded for pedestrians on the sidewalk but otherwise handled it

Kim has a super screwed up version of Chuck’s UPL. Lmao. I’m not sure what version she’s on here, but I’m assuming it’s the newest version. The car has no idea how to do it right now, I don’t think.
She has 10.69. Hard to tell if that is a difficult turn or not. Didn’t bother to look it up. Most turns are easy though.

I would bet that turn is easy to fix. Tesla only has to put something in the map data to tell the car to only make right turns when on Gibbs/Cliff Ave approaching Memorial Blvd.
Agreed, this is a right turn followed by a quick left turn. Left turning traffic in the “median” which is not a median, has to yield to you (they have to treat you as either right-turning traffic, in which case I guess actually whoever got there first has right of way, or probably more correctly have to treat you as through traffic on Memorial, since you turn right onto Memorial before they do, since their street is further down, so must always yield) so that makes it easy.

Anyway it looks like an easy turn.

Might be wrong but I don't think FSD is designed for building exceptions and special circumstances into the map data, that's not how this generalized AI is supposed to work in the Tesla view

The system needs to know that regardless of where it's happening, this situation requires a bit of a right turn and then a left

When it approaches a left turn that's more streamlined, it needs to just go left

Reactions: scottf200 and EVNow
I’m surprised nobody has commented on this video yet. It looked impressive.
Well covered and tons of commenting in the 10.69 thread starting here.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This happened to me yesterday (10.12.2 or whatever is the last one before 10.69, of course); you can see why having a safety driver and keeping hands on the wheel at all times is essential! At first I thought the redirect happened (you can see the path change to going to straight ahead on the screen immediately before I override) because the light changed to red, but that is not the case - the path change occurred while the light was still yellow, and I had full control when the light turned red.

Note that it said cruise control unavailable as well on this turn (which is good!) after I took control (since I did not hit the brake, and just completed the (wide) turn, I am glad it was not still applying any acceleration - though I would have hit the brake briefly if it had).

Anyway, FSD Beta is fine, you just need to make sure you're completely in control at all times as you test the system.

Gotta love the drone of the RE-71Rs though. Useful when making turns like this; makes testing the beta very safe, haha.

The noise as the car weight transfers dramatically is from bits of PVC in a plastic bag in the backseat, I believe (though I am not completely sure). Also there would have been noises in general from stuff moving around (it is more apparent in the video than in reality).

I assume if I hadn't overridden, the car would have smoothly merged into the traffic going straight (there was no car to my right on the through lanes, for several seconds). The only possible obstacle was the Forester directly in front. But that would have been illegal (both hitting the Forester, or going straight); this was a left-turn only lane.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dan D.
That behavior on the two roundabouts in Chuck's Memorial Park drive looks pretty much the same as 10.12.2, except now the roundabouts aren't covered in cones and he had the vehicle going straight at the second roundabout rather than turning right last time

But watching from 05:00, on 10.12.2 it sat until it had a lead vehicle and this time it had a lead vehicle right off the bat. Either way it was probably thrown off by the cones on the last run

On the second roundabout, it yielded for pedestrians on the sidewalk but otherwise handled it

I had a roundabout on my route this afternoon - a simple, one lane roundabout, nothing special. FSD (10.12) stopped at the yield then waited, then started to proceed exactly in front of a pickup that was coming around. Essentially it did the exact opposite of what it should have done. :/

I had a roundabout on my route this afternoon - a simple, one lane roundabout, nothing special. FSD (10.12) stopped at the yield then waited, then started to proceed exactly in front of a pickup that was coming around. Essentially it did the exact opposite of what it should have done. :/
For some reason, roundabouts seem to be the bane of FSD beta's existence. Curious, since all the cross traffic comes from one direction and there's usually a clear view.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Yes, saw this mentioned in videos too. I think the logic isn't made to handle them yet, so it screws up most of the time.
THe silly thing is the logic should already exist. It’s the exact same logic that‘s used when you have a sweeping right turn lane with a yield onto the target road. Of course FSD seems to have trouble with that, too.

Maybe Chuck needs to start making UPR videos.

Reactions: momo3605