Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD button is here!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clicked the button yesterday checked the app last night and had a rating 92% for ’hard braking’ - the ironic thing is my wife was driving the car and she’s the most conservative driver in the world. Both of the ‘hard braking’ events were braking for a yellow light. I guess you’re supposed to just gun it and go through?

Clicked the button yesterday checked the app last night and had a rating 92% for ’hard braking’ - the ironic thing is my wife was driving the car and she’s the most conservative driver in the world. Both of the ‘hard braking’ events were braking for a yellow light. I guess you’re supposed to just gun it and go through?
Considering how TACC doesn't brake until the last second, almost putting you through the windshield I am just enjoying the double standard...

Keith

The Safety Rating for Tesla insurance also includes "Intensity of Acceleration", which is vexing since the company touts their 0-60 times, sells a Performance Upgrade and boasts about the Plaid being the fastest production car. I sure hope the FSD Safety Rating doesn't include acceleration.

In 45 years of driving, I've never had an at-fault accident, but I do love to be the first car at the traffic light and watching the other cars fade in the rear-view. Guess I'll drive like a Prius for a while.

I took my first drive while being evaluated by Tesla's Safety Score algorithm. I was driving what I considered to be fairly conservatively yet the algorithm dinged me on my braking. My Driving settings are Sport for Acceleration, Standard for Regen Braking, and Hold for Stopping Mode. I generally use the 2-second rule for setting the distance to the driver in front of me. Nearly all of my stops were with regen but apparently I was letting up on the accelerator too quickly. Guess I'll need to use a 3-second rule and be more conservative in my stops.

On a related note, does anyone know what Safety Score threshold will allow drivers onto the Beta program?

IMG_0005.jpg

Guess I'll drive like a Prius for a while.
Problem is even if you drive well enough to get a great rating and then somehow get selected to beta test FSD, if you deviate from that 'Prius' style of driving they can remove you from the beta program. That is in the fine print. So you are effectively driving in 'Prius' mode as long as you want to stay in the beta test program. Worth it?

As for a score to get into the test, not published. Higher the better since they will have limited number of invitations and only so many in your area I assume. So you could have 100 percent score after a week but if they already have their quota in your area, you might not get in. Nothing published, just a gut feeling.

This whole rating system is garbage, an after thought to somehow weed out most drivers and make it easier for them to choose a select few to join. They do not score if your hands are on the steering wheel or if you are distracted with your phone, etc. Instead their rating system uses sensor data without any interpretation or validation. We have all these cameras that could validate the accelerometer data but they do not. So if a sudden yellow light, I can get penalized if my stopping generates a g-force greater than their safety limit or I run it to avoid that ding. If I have to stop or serve suddenly to avoid hitting something, ding.

I went out yesterday, in Sat afternoon traffic for a drive to test this out. Nothing major except an a**hole pulling out of his driveway without looking and I had to jam on the brakes. Double ding. Was I not supposed to hit the brakes and hopefully the car stops for me? Change lanes too abruptly to get across while you still can, ding. Avoid a pot hole, ding. Ended up with a 81 percent score because I generated a few events with g-force exceeding their low limits. Perhaps I should be driving at 4am on country back roads with no other traffic? Do I now go out on the highway with cruise control set exactly to the speed limit just to get more miles and try to raise my score? Makes no sense, for what, just so maybe I can be get into the test and then what, the first time I have to deal with crazy drivers or potholes I get dinged and out of beta?

I have to use it like I would any other time, regardless of this stupid scoring metric. That means driving in city traffic in normal hours. Some things are not under my control, I share the roads with others, good or bad. So unless they change their rating system to something that makes more sense, I guess I am not getting invited, and I do not care either. I'd rather enjoy the drive instead of being that nuisance car that is holding up traffic, takes forever to make a turn, starts slowing down 1/4 mile before a stop sign, etc. If I wanted to drive like a 90 year old in a Prius, I would have bought a Prius. I bought a performance MY for a reason and I am going to enjoy it. </rant>

Ended up with a 81 percent score because I generated a few events with g-force exceeding their low limits.

They say most drivers will have a score of 80 or higher, so you are in the most category.

They do not score if your hands are on the steering wheel or if you are distracted with your phone, etc.
They sort of do. If you are kicked out of AP because your hands aren't on the wheel or the selfie-cam sees you using your phone you get a Forced Autopilot Disengagement which is the thing that impacts your score the most. (By a lot.)

Is the “safety tab” in the phone app or in the car?
The safety tab is on the app, if your iPhone you’ll need to be on 4.1. Doesn’t show up immediately, not sure what triggers it, driving a bit I’m guessing. My experience so far is that I getting nailed for hard braking, this is a result of the non- proactive response to a pending stop. I know that it can “see” much farther as it gets freaked out about crossing traffic way out there.

Clicked the button yesterday....So tired of waiting for something I paid for 3 months ago. Now I "have" it, I can't drive like a douche for who knows how long.... Slower traffic keep right!
I didn’t get FSD cuz it’s not 10k worth it, but I was planning to subscribe; this driving monitoring nonsense is what did it for me. I will never get it now, for the same reason I did not accept to plug the AllState monitoring device to any of my cars. I really “drive” my cars! didn’t get a fast car to not enjoy it.

I was out today and saw several Tesla owners driving really slow, even below the speed limit on highways! I felt I was in Florida with a bunch of old people, that sometimes shouldn’t even be driving anymore, around me! Elon must be taking a lesson directly from the chinese commies and their social credit system!

Posted this as a new thread but fits in here as well.

I’ve always felt Auto Pilot was a little slow to react to stopped or slowing traffic, well today I saw the negative side to that issue.

Having signed up for the FSD beta and thusly taking part in the Safety Score program I experienced an occurrence when I had to disengage Auto Pilot when the car did not react properly when approaching multiple lane choices at a stop light. I selected the lane that had the most room to make the stop safely but did have to brake a little harder than I would have if I had been in complete control before braking.

Result… a ding for hard braking in my Safety Score. I feel confident that the score would not have been impacted had I not disengaged and let Auto Pilot make the same stop.

Lesson learned………

I didn’t get FSD cuz it’s not 10k worth it, but I was planning to subscribe; this driving monitoring nonsense is what did it for me. I will never get it now, for the same reason I did not accept to plug the AllState monitoring device to any of my cars. I really “drive” my cars! didn’t get a fast car to not enjoy it.

I was out today and saw several Tesla owners driving really slow, even below the speed limit on highways! I felt I was in Florida with a bunch of old people, that sometimes shouldn’t even be driving anymore, around me! Elon must be taking a lesson directly from the chinese commies and their social credit system!
I can't blame Tesla for this. They've received a fair amount of bad press around autopilot recently. Some of it is deserved but much of it is from people being stupid idiots. They are preparing for a wider roll out of pre-release beta software. There is clearly no shortage of people looking to participate in the beta testing program and Tesla wants to do what it can to ensure that these people are responsible.

If you don't want to participate then you don't have to. You can wait for the final version of the software. You said you didn't pay for FSD, so I'm not sure why you're complaining about since you're not even eligible to participate.

Reactions: Yelobird
The Safety Rating for Tesla insurance also includes "Intensity of Acceleration", which is vexing since the company touts their 0-60 times, sells a Performance Upgrade and boasts about the Plaid being the fastest production car. I sure hope the FSD Safety Rating doesn't include acceleration.

In 45 years of driving, I've never had an at-fault accident, but I do love to be the first car at the traffic light and watching the other cars fade in the rear-view. Guess I'll drive like a Prius for a while.
Hey, my parents drive a Prius....oh, yeah, I get it.

This is the hardest driving test ever.

One problem is that the computer doesn't see ahead of the car ahead. So if the light is green and the car is about to go because the brake lights are not on and I accelerate, the car warns me of a "potential collision." And it's not like I'm flooring it. It's lightly on the accelerator!
Same goes with if a car is turning right and is about to turn right and you accelerate in your lane because you predict the car will turn RIGHT, the notification comes on again. haha
And, hard braking??! Come on.

I'm also getting dinged for aggressive turning which is crazy. Literally driving like a grandpa but maybe they think a left turn counts as aggressive? haha

It's so hard yet stressful. I think the best thing to do is Autopilot whenever you can. It doesn't seem to ding you for hard braking or how close you are to the vehicle if it's on autopilot

Reactions: mathewbeall
I can't blame Tesla for this. They've received a fair amount of bad press around autopilot recently. Some of it is deserved but much of it is from people being stupid idiots. They are preparing for a wider roll out of pre-release beta software. There is clearly no shortage of people looking to participate in the beta testing program and Tesla wants to do what it can to ensure that these people are responsible.

If you don't want to participate then you don't have to. You can wait for the final version of the software. You said you didn't pay for FSD, so I'm not sure why you're complaining about since you're not even eligible to participate.
you can subscribe genius! can’t you read?! 🤦🏻‍♂️ the hardware is already there, even on entry level cars like yours … Tesla can enable it via software later on.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: GeezerSquid