Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD - Change lane without NOA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Manually instigated auto lane changes are not restricted to NoA. You can do them on many dual carriageway roads. But its a guessing game where they work and where they don't and can change from version to version.

If a lane changes does not work where you expect, first thing to do is to quickly wiggle the steering (you soon get the hand as to what is enough and what is too much) before it times out midway through the lane change and throws you back to where you came - and you thought that phantom braking was scary!

Manually instigated auto lane changes are not restricted to NoA. You can do them on many dual carriageway roads. But its a guessing game where they work and where they don't and can change from version to version.

If a lane changes does not work where you expect, first thing to do is to quickly wiggle the steering (you soon get the hand as to what is enough and what is too much) before it times out midway through the lane change and throws you back to where you came - and you thought that phantom braking was scary!
Yup. Had that. Fortunately I choose moments when no-one’s around.
I’ll give my local non-NoA dual carriageway a try tomorrow to see if I can master lane change.

I've never worked out what the criteria was for auto lane change to work. Perfectly good roads for it and it won't (even with dotted lines etc.) but other roads that I'd think of as less suitable it works fine..

I assume it's categorised by software somehow (rather than a tesla intern manually going through each road) so there must be a criteria.

When not in NoA, is there another way to disengaged AP without wrestling the wheel while leaving TACC in place
Right stalk up to the first detent? (Just before Neutral). Works for normal AP or TACC, can’t confirm for FSD.

1550DF79-1F18-418E-A0E2-8B2AB179AD8E.jpeg

Tried giving the wheel a wiggle on my local non NoA stretch of dual carriageway and auto lane change worked fine. Thanks for the heads up.

Coming back on the A14 last weekend NOA was enabled most of the way, there are very short patches however where it was not available - these seemed to be for junctions which were perpendicular (i.e. not slip roads), NOA then re-activated when passing that junction (guess this makes sense, as car not yet able navigate off road for such sharp junctions automatically)

Lane change however did continue to work on request through these sections.

Similar thing with tunnels, on the A1(M) Potters Bar tunnel, NOA disengages, but you can still request a lane change through the tunnel no problem.

I've yet to find a "true" non-NOA road where lane change works, there are plenty of such dual carriage ways near me, where none of them allow this feature.

Reactions: timpharrison