Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD - Change lane without NOA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a dual carriageway I want to be able to change lanes without disabling Autopilot - this was the main reason for taking FSD.

If I have selected Navigate on Autopilot (NOA) the car will change lanes automatically if I click the indicator whilst on a road that supports NOA. I can tell the road supports NOA because a blue line appears running down the middle of my lane on the display (model 3). In this case, it works well (unless it times out, but that's another issue altogether...)

With FSD, can you get the car to perform a lane change for you by indicating, if you are NOT on NOA? Can you get it to lane change when you are on NOA but the current road is not showing the blue line for lane following?

With FSD, can you get the car to perform a lane change for you by indicating, if you are NOT on NOA? Can you get it to lane change when you are on NOA but the current road is not showing the blue line for lane following?

Yes but not all roads support lane change. Its not clear why some otherwise identical type roads (obviously dual carriage way or motorway) do and some don't. I've just assumed that its something that will be rolled out more over time.

I can tell the road supports NOA because a blue line appears running down the middle of my lane on the display (model 3). In this case, it works well (unless it times out, but that's another issue altogether...)

Being slightly pedantic, the single line actually means that you are on NOA. But if you are like me, and have NOA on by default (for the roads that support it), then yes, it shows that that road is NOA enabled.

As for lane change time out, if you are not already aware, make sure that you are hands on, nag mode friendly driving before doing a lane change. I found that the majority of my timeout lane changes were down to it not detecting my hands on wheel in a timely manner. So much of the time allowed for lane change was used up with the car waiting for it to detect me holding the steering wheel, which I was, but just a bit too relaxed for its liking.

Last edited:
Reactions: timpharrison
On a dual carriageway I want to be able to change lanes without disabling Autopilot - this was the main reason for taking FSD.

If I have selected Navigate on Autopilot (NOA) the car will change lanes automatically if I click the indicator whilst on a road that supports NOA. I can tell the road supports NOA because a blue line appears running down the middle of my lane on the display (model 3). In this case, it works well (unless it times out, but that's another issue altogether...)

Well it should change lanes with a tap on the blinker stalk with FSD engaged whether NOA is available or not. BUT with the last few software upgrades my car now, more than not, refuses to change lanes in many situations, but not always. I now have to take it off autopilot to switch lanes most of the time. I am in hopes this is a bug because it is a removal of one of the car's best features.

Well it should change lanes with a tap on the blinker stalk with FSD engaged whether NOA is available or not. BUT with the last few software upgrades my car now, more than not, refuses to change lanes in many situations, but not always. I now have to take it off autopilot to switch lanes most of the time. I am in hopes this is a bug because it is a removal of one of the car's best features.

I had this on a recent drive too, on motorway so no excuse. I've also had it before when its almost as if auto lane change temporarily stops working mid drive. Then it starts working again. Normally its right after an auto lane change to middle lane so leaves me stuck out there until a couple of failed lane changes back to left lane (here in UK) makes me realise its just given up. It wouldn't be so bad if it was not constantly indicating all that time. I had thought that it may have been concerned about other vehicles in left lane, but by second attempt, I'm well past it so I cannot see its justification in thinking that. Hopefully that behaviour will get fixed again.

Reactions: SilverString
It confuses me as well. (I have FSD and I always have NOA requested.) If there's one blue line down the centre (NOA active) I always get automatic lane changes, needing a light indicator tap to confirm a suggested lane change, and needing a solid indicator tap if I'm asking for a lane change that it hasn't suggested.

If there are two blue lines on the lane boundaries (NOA not active I've always assumed) then it ignores my requests for automatic lane changes most of the time. However, just to confuse me, about one time in ten when I try requesting a lane change with two blue lines it works. My only hypothesis – no evidence, probably wrong – is that the road is classified as a restricted access highway but for some reason NOA isn't "fully active".

With my FSD/NOA, when it asks for the lane change, I have to tap the indicator AND respond to a nag. This can go one of three ways: It works, the nag response is not enough so FSD/NOA stops or the nag response is too hard in which case FSD/NOA again stops. So I then have to double tap to turn it on again. By this time, the car has moved its position on the carriageway so lurches back to what it considers centered and accelerates or brakes as it sees fit. As this is normally in an environment with other cars around, it's not a nice scene.
I've also noticed recently that on the off ramp, the car will 'threepenny-bit' the corner while slowing or accelerating. I have to say that at the moment, life is less stressful just driving the car without any aids.

Always worth mentioning what software version the car is using when discussing car behavior. Especially when features are changing from one version to the next as they are currently for AP/FSD
I found a few months ago that the car would change lanes only when it meant moving away from the oncoming traffic.
I also leave the traffic light beta turned off, so the AP ride is much smoother.

... and which country-focused forum you’re in ;)
Exactly - this conversation is muddled as the feature set/restrictions are very different in UK vs. US!

Though I don't have FSD in UK, my reading of it is that it's hobbled to the point of nearly pointless - it might work in certain scenarios but my sense is that it causes my stress than it's worth given you never really know whether it will actually change lane / abandon / etc!

To answer @timpharrison's question - I thought this was specifically not possible. i.e. (at least in the UK) I thought you had to be on NOA for auto lane change to work.

Checked the manual?

Well, guilty NorfolkMustard but in my defence my profile does say Nouvelle Aquitaine and although I live there most of the year, I do have a gaff just south of you in Suffolk.:) I think the cars and firmware for France and UK are pretty similar but will stand by to be corrected.

To answer @timpharrison's question - I thought this was specifically not possible. i.e. (at least in the UK) I thought you had to be on NOA for auto lane change to work.

Checked the manual?

It works outside of NoA too, but only if you have FSD. If it likes the road (restricted access with central reservation, usually) then if you’re in autosteer (double-tap) then indicating (full pull down/up) will initiate an auto lane change, immediately before which you must wiggle the wheel so it knows you’re holding it.

Reactions: bhav
It works outside of NoA too, but only if you have FSD. If it likes the road (restricted access with central reservation, usually) then if you’re in autosteer (double-tap) then indicating (full pull down/up) will initiate an auto lane change, immediately before which you must wiggle the wheel so it knows you’re holding it.
There’s section of the A4232 in/out of Cardiff where auto lane change works well then, for no apparent reason as still restricted with a central reservation, auto lane change becomes unavailable. I’m hoping this behaviour will change with a new map update.

There’s section of the A4232 in/out of Cardiff where auto lane change works well then, for no apparent reason as still restricted with a central reservation, auto lane change becomes unavailable. I’m hoping this behaviour will change with a new map update.

The required wiggle + the randomness of when it will or won't work is (in my view) one of many reasons whyit just seems more stress than it's worth!

Similarly there a section of the A1 between Peterborough and Grantham with the same issue. NoA deactivates itself, and lane change not available. Not even a complete stretch between junctions, just a random few hundred yards.

I keep meaning to check openstreetmap to see if there’s a stretch mis-mapped but then never bother as 1: not entirely sure OSM is used and 2: since the last Tesla maps update it could have been fixed in OSM anyway and I’ll never find it.

I’m afraid I’ve been lured into FSD. Strong The Force is, on the dark side.
I look forward to it giving me some excitement in my dotage
I’m now on 2020.36.11 & map 2019.21.
I tried NoA on the A47 and A11 on my way to the Thetford superchargers (for a top-up & picnic)
On the outward journey part of the dual A47 was NoA yet the same stretch on the other carriageway isn’t.
Much of the A11 also wasn’t NoA.
Oddly, on the non NoA part of the A47 yesterday, I did manage an unexpected auto lane change. Perhaps I had unconsciously wiggled the wheel as suggested by @NorfolkMustard
Pre FSD, just indicating disengaged AP but not TACC. When not in NoA, is there another way to disengaged AP without wrestling the wheel while leaving TACC in place? Indicating now leaves AP on.