Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD completely [almost] stops the car on a road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alexgr

Aug 13, 2019
Haven't seen this issue discussed yet. I have a 40 mph two lane road on my way to a grocery store. Good markings, a well-lit road. Some time ago (a few months ago) I started to notice the car slows down somewhere on that road while on FSD. I tapped accelerator or turned off the FSD before to deal with this issue. However, in the past couple times, I let the car deal with it, and to my surprise the car was stopping like before a stop sign. No actual stop signs, lines or traffic lights. I let it slow down from 43 mph to about 3 mph, didn't check if it stops completely yet (it's a really busy 2 lane road).

Has anyone else observed similar behavior?

Reactions: beachmiles
Is there a secondary road feeding into the road it’s stopping on that has a stop sign? I have several places where my car begins to stop for stop signs that are not on the road I’m driving.

Is there a secondary road feeding into the road it’s stopping on that has a stop sign? I have several places where my car begins to stop for stop signs that are not on the road I’m driving.
I also thought so, the roads entering the main road at 90 degrees indeed have stop signs. I watched the screen last time and the car does not show anything like stop signs or anything else identified.

I've had my car slow down dramatically while in AP or FSD on the freeways multiple times since getting FSD Beta (I'm on 2022.20.19 - 10.69.2.4). I usually get a message saying "Poor camera visibility - reducing Autopilot speed", and then the car proceeds to slow down to almost a stop (I've never waited long enough to see since its very dangerous in traffic). It happens mostly on evening commutes, in mild traffic, with no direct sunlight or other light source pointed at the cameras. Maybe it is reacting to the intensity of brake lights / taillights / headlights in Los Angeles traffic, but it never did that prior to FSD Beta. If that is what's happening, that's a huge problem, as the very sudden slowdown is not safe on the freeway.

Rando stops for me on a few roads. I assume it’s because it thinks there is a stop sign but can’t see one but doesn’t trust itself and defaults to what the map says. It’s always at a place where a sign could once have been. (Talking about 10.69.2.4 for me but it’s happening on nearly all versions I’ve tried.)

Rando stops for me on a few roads. I assume it’s because it thinks there is a stop sign but can’t see one but doesn’t trust itself and defaults to what the map says. It’s always at a place where a sign could once have been. (Talking about 10.69.2.4 for me but it’s happening on nearly all versions I’ve tried.)
I have the same problems where my car thinks the speed limit is 25mph instead of 45mph. Must’ve been a dirt road at one point in history 🤣😂

I have similar issue with FSD Beta starting a few releases back. On narrower two lane roads FSD will dramatically slow down. No signs or intersections nearby. Usually happens when there is oncoming traffic and car acts like FSD is unsure there is enough room for both cars to pass.

Hopefully this will be addressed in a near future release.

It does that for me at a small bridge on a small road. About a year ago the bridge was under construction and only one lane got through, so they put temporary stop signs on each side and cars had to alternate going through. That’s all completed now but FSD beta “remembers” the temporary stop signs and tries to stop there. (There are still barely visible white lines across half the road where the stop signs used to be.) I suspect it’s an error on the map that needs to be updated to reflect that the stop signs are gone, because nothing shows on the display. But it could be that it still makes out the faint white line, too.