Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD computer HW3 or HW2.5 tracking sheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I collected my car last Wednesday (7th August) and have been through an exchange via email with Tesla on whether or not I actually have the FSD HW3 computer. My car records videos in H264 not H265 but they tell me I do have HW3. I also took a photo of the computer part number (under the glove box)

The parts list here

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47362

seems to indicate I do have HW3 and Tesla support europe tell me that there is a lot of confusion with codecs at the moment.

It's possible and plausible that in software 2019.28.2 they are now emulating HW2.5 and/or have reverted to the older codec with HW3 to make software releases easier across both HW2.5 and HW3.

I have created a google sheet to try and get more data of model variant software version and part no they have here

Model 3 HW3 computers

Hopefully more data will help make sense of whats going on.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
seems to indicate I do have HW3 and Tesla support europe tell me that there is a lot of confusion with codecs at the moment.

It's possible and plausible that in software 2019.28.2 they are now emulating HW2.5 and/or have reverted to the older codec with HW3 to make software releases easier across both HW2.5 and HW3.

They did.

I have to go find the other thread where someone asked about this now. I didn't really take them seriously, but they were apparently correct.

My TeslaCam videos from August 6th are HEVC/H265. My TeslaCam Videos from August 7th are H264/AVC.

I upgraded from 24.4 to 28.2 on the Evening of August 6th.

I have no idea why they did that, but it's going to make sorting out who actually has AP3 hardware a real pain...

Interestingly the file sizes are about the same - not sure if they weren't using the advanced features of the H265 codec or if the cars are working to a target bitrate and they traded detail. If so, the lost detail didn't immediately jump out at me.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Plot thickens. Good find. I'm reluctant to tear apart my car to check the part numbers but it's pretty clear to me based upon the part numbers that you have HW3.0 and the codec may not be a definitive way to tell the difference.

Actually I'm not reluctant I just need to get a good tool for it. :)

Plot thickens. Good find. I'm reluctant to tear apart my car to check the part numbers but it's pretty clear to me based upon the part numbers that you have HW3.0 and the codec may not be a definitive way to tell the difference.

Actually I'm not reluctant I just need to get a good tool for it. :)

I'm fairly certain an AP2.5 car can never give H265/HEVC videos, so getting them should still be a solid answer.

But if you have H264, and firmware 28.2 or later, you don't know the answer anymore.

I'm fairly certain an AP2.5 car can never give H265/HEVC videos, so getting them should still be a solid answer.

But if you have H264, and firmware 28.2 or later, you don't know the answer anymore.

Well honestly, I'm not sure of anything anymore. Tesla has stated that all cars shipped after April have HW3.0 and it's been impossible to check. I got delivery in July and have h264 videos. The codec doesn't prove anything either way at this point, and I'm still on 2019.24.4.

There are tons of threads out there that have stated definitively that the codec is the way to tell, so this thread really debunks that. It's entirely possible that I (and others) have HW3.0 and just happen to have h264 videos.

Well honestly, I'm not sure of anything anymore. Tesla has stated that all cars shipped after April have HW3.0 and it's been impossible to check. I got delivery in July and have h264 videos. The codec doesn't prove anything either way at this point, and I'm still on 2019.24.4.

There are tons of threads out there that have stated definitively that the codec is the way to tell, so this thread really debunks that. It's entirely possible that I (and others) have HW3.0 and just happen to have h264 videos.

As far as anyone knows, if you're on 2019.24.4 and have H264 videos, you're on HW2.5. I say that because I'm still on 2019.24.4 and have H265 videos, as I have done on every previous firmware since I got my car on May 2.

Now, if you were on 2019.28.2 with H264 when you got the car, it appears it would not be possible to tell if HW3 or HW2.5 is in the car because all cars are shifting back to H264 on 2019.28.2 (for reasons unknown).

So, bottom line is - I think you're on HW2.5. I'm going to guess you bought the car without FSD. I'm going to also guess that if Tesla ran out of HW3 for any period of time - they just put HW2.5 in people's cars that didn't have FSD at the time of purchase.

They did.

I have to go find the other thread where someone asked about this now. I didn't really take them seriously, but they were apparently correct.

My TeslaCam videos from August 6th are HEVC/H265. My TeslaCam Videos from August 7th are H264/AVC.

I upgraded from 24.4 to 28.2 on the Evening of August 6th.

I have no idea why they did that, but it's going to make sorting out who actually has AP3 hardware a real pain...

Interestingly the file sizes are about the same - not sure if they weren't using the advanced features of the H265 codec or if the cars are working to a target bitrate and they traded detail. If so, the lost detail didn't immediately jump out at me.

Yep, I see this too. When I took delivery my car was on the .15 branch. My recordings for that build are in HEVC (H.265). After upgrading to 28.2, I found my videos are now recorded in H264. I had checked a recent recording and thought son of a, thinking that my 8/19 built car had 2.5. Phew!

Yep, I see this too. When I took delivery my car was on the .15 branch. My recordings for that build are in HEVC (H.265). After upgrading to 28.2, I found my videos are now recorded in H264. I had checked a recent recording and thought son of a, thinking that my 8/19 built car had 2.5. Phew!

Interesting. One of the few theories I had for why they went to H264 was that they had some problem with H265 on the cars that were isolated on the .15 branch they needed time to resolve.

But if that branch was already H265 then obviously it wasn't that...

Same here. I just verified this morning after reading this thread over the weekend.

As far as anyone knows, if you're on 2019.24.4 and have H264 videos, you're on HW2.5. I say that because I'm still on 2019.24.4 and have H265 videos, as I have done on every previous firmware since I got my car on May 2.

Confirmed for me by actually looking at the part number on the computer.

1098058 is HW2.5
1462554 is HW3.0

My M3 was built and delivered in June without FSD and I have HW2.5. Drat. Has always been h264 videos. Currently 2019.24.4

Last edited:
Added mine to the sheet. Still on 2019.24.4 and get H.265 video.
Customer Service told me i had 2.5 when i asked a few week back though but partnumber and encoding tells me they were wrong.

I have a mobile service appointment on thursday, will ask the tech if he can verify.

Just checked mine and updated the spreadsheet. I can confirm the theory about H.264 on newer firmwares regardless of the HW version; the sticker in my car shows HW 3 (1462554-00-H Rev01) but my car's videos were encoded in h.264. This is a US car manufactured on 07-2019.