Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD computer retrofit into HW2.0 Model S: Owner Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I am trying to create a thread that will consolidate posts concerning successful retrofits from HW2.0 to HW3. I am supposedly getting my Model 3 updated from 2.5 to 3 tomorrow. Meanwhile no word on my 2.0 Model S. I realize the first Model S’ with 2.0 should be upgraded starting this month as long as the owners intend to pay the $2500 MCU2 upgrade.

BTW I realize we supposedly will be contacted when the upgrades are available for our 2.0 Model S’ but I was never contacted about my Model 3 so who knows if that will happen in all cases.

Reactions: croman
Going through it now. Have date for service on May 6 for MCU2. HW3, they tell me, is not available for AP2 yet and likely won't be by this appointment but since my MCU1 is dying, Tesla agreed to replace my MCU1 with 2 and then do HW3 at a later date. At least that's what it is at present. We will see when May rolls around whether they get the parts in.

If they pull it off and my MCU doesn't completely crap out in the next few days I'll be a happy camper and Tesla will have fulfilled all of their obligations to me. While it is a bad taste to have to wait while newer buyers got what I paid for, I can't say I ever expected an upgrade from MCU1 to 2, so I'm left pretty ok with it all (especially since my MCU1 died 120 miles after 50k and that's a bitter thing).

Since HW3 will be tied to MCU2 upgrades, I think Tesla will wait on doing pure AP2 to HW3 (but keeping MCU1) until Q4 at this rate. That's probably when FSD will actually do something and Tesla will have maximized their $3k+ interest free loans from all of us.

• Love
Reactions: FrunkLover
Since HW3 will be tied to MCU2 upgrades, I think Tesla will wait on doing pure AP2 to HW3 (but keeping MCU1) until Q4 at this rate. That's probably when FSD will actually do something and Tesla will have maximized their $3k+ interest free loans from all of us.

Their support site stills says that they plan to start HW3 only upgrades for AP2.0 cars in May...

Their support site stills says that they plan to start HW3 only upgrades for AP2.0 cars in May...

Oh and their site said they'd be doing MCU2 in late March. They also said FSD stop lights in late 2019. Clearly their site reflects nothing useful nor is it tied to reality.

I wish they'd do both hw3 and MCU2 and we will see but I'm told it isn't possible until later in May but the MCU2 upgrade page says late April.

Does anyone else feel like waiting for them to show me the proof that AP2.0 can be upgraded to FSD computer without MCU Upgrade before upgrading to MCU2? I kind of feel like I’m giving them an easy way out by purchasing infotainment upgrade. I also understand that it’s theoretically possible and that someone has already done it, but there must be an additional hurdle or challenge they need to solve to really make it official and possible.

Well, this thread was a flop as expected. I did get my 3 updated today and guess no one is getting S or X with 2.0 updated yet. (One 2.0 owner here reported getting the update weeks ago, but if I recall it only happened after the SC requested a second shipment of hardware.So it sounds like the upgrade was a mistake in the owner’s favor.)

Reactions: MP3Mike
I tried to schedule my HW2.0 for the MCU and FSD upgrade yesterday since I need an alignment. Response: "Regarding the requested upgrades, both infotainment and Autopilot computer upgrades are performed at the same time. However, the upgrade kit for your VIN range is expected to be available by the end of May 2020. We suggest checking back in roughly mid May." My vin is in the 160k range

I’m not convinced at all that MCU1 is compatible with HW3. I believe they’re scamming as many as possible like the old FSD full price “But you get early access to the new beta FSD features” bull crap.
I may be wrong.
But the evidence from there being no vehicles reported having an MCU1 and HW3 computer really support this... and the fact that you don’t know what your FSD features are going to do since they cannot display the stop signs, red lights, turn arrows, trash cans, cones, etc... on the HUD because of the low resources issue.

If they are to install HW3 I’m willing to bet they’re going to nonchalantly throw the MCU2 swap into the mix to make it feasible.

I would’ve done the MCU2 upgrade if I was allowed to continue with my grandfathered premium connectivity. That is ridiculous.

I’m not convinced at all that MCU1 is compatible with HW3. I believe they’re scamming as many as possible like the old FSD full price “But you get early access to the new beta FSD features” bull crap.
I may be wrong.
But the evidence from there being no vehicles reported having an MCU1 and HW3 computer really support this... and the fact that you don’t know what your FSD features are going to do since they cannot display the stop signs, red lights, turn arrows, trash cans, cones, etc... on the HUD because of the low resources issue.

If they are to install HW3 I’m willing to bet they’re going to nonchalantly throw the MCU2 swap into the mix to make it feasible.

I would’ve done the MCU2 upgrade if I was allowed to continue with my grandfathered premium connectivity. That is ridiculous.

while I respect the skepticism.... I suspect it is more difficult for reasons related to man power and coordination.... and while of course it can be done.... I also suspect there are a couple of things making it hard to pull off easily. In otherwords, it's incompetence and easier to go after low hanging fruit than to take care of the original AP2.0 people with FSD. I think it's very possible they tire of waiting for the code to get written correctly in the next 6 months... and if enough of us refuse to purchase the MCU2 upgrade, they will be confronted with more and more problems and limitations of their ability to implement full self driving like they indicated would be achievable....
in other words, I'm betting that if you don't upgrade the MCU... sooner or later, there is going to be something about FSD hardware and MCU ability that makes Level 4 or 5 not possible without the ability of the MCU to render something on the display without causing serious problems for a driver that is supposed to be the last failsafe measure. So... I think I'm talking myself out of upgrading MCU for now.... I also know the moment I purchase MCU2, they are going to release MCU3

Reactions: goRt
The way I see it, there is now officially a delta in FSD features ( with stop sign and red light detection having been released). How is Tesla legally allowed to drag their feet on HW 2.0 upgrades. Could they in theory drag their feet for years? I’m not paying for the MCU2 upgrade at this point in time... they need to deliver my FSD upgrade before I would even consider it. It’s quite insulting they lack of attention original FSD buyers are getting for having invested over 3 years ago...

They have an official confirmed path to upgrade HW 2.0 cars and it involves upgrading the MCU too. I know Tesla wanted to come up with a way to upgrade to the FSD computer without upgrading the MCU to save money... well clearly they haven’t gotten there yet. Of course if it goes this way and we do end up getting MCU2 for free, someone is going to sue Tesla for taking away their FM Radio... (which is kind of a joke they can’t get THAT figured out...)

If Tesla can't figure out how to provide the FSD upgrade for MCU1/AP2 vehicles and include the MCU2 radio, it may be better for Tesla to consider an alternative to upgrading those vehicles:
  • Provide an FSD "early adopter" credit (10% of new vehicle price?) to be applied to when trading in the current MCU1/AP2/FSD vehicle for a new Tesla S/3/X/Y
  • Transfer all activated features to the new vehicle (FSD, free supercharging, premium internet, ...)
Since there is a cost for parts and labor for Tesla to retrofit MCU1/AP2 vehicles to support FSD, Tesla could apply that savings towards the purchase of a new vehicle - which would not only provide the latest FSD features, it would also address that odd decision to provide an MCU2 upgrade without any radio support.

And since there could be a disruption in new vehicle sales due to the current crisis, this could help generate a burst of new vehicle sales - which would be a win-win for everyone - Tesla sells new vehicles and saves costs of upgrading old vehicles while owners get the latest capabilities (FSD computer/cameras, radio, longer range, ...).

I'm getting my MCU2/HW3 upgrade right now for my HW2 (MCU1) car. They told me that HW3 in MCU1 is no problem but requires extra parts that Fremont hasn't allocated and the VINs are greyed out for HW3 (and therefore they cannot actually put a HW3 in without Fremont greenlighting the part for the particular VIN).

So I'd expect another 3-6 months (sound familiar?) before Tesla does MCU1/HW2->HW3 without MCU2 upgrade. They got our money and without a bit more, we get nothing for it. I'm willing to put it in but I can easily understand why others demand to get what they paid for insteading of being forced to pay more for something they didn't necessarily think was needed for FSD.