Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Computer Upgrade and Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aaaand.... they're saying it's still not available. Appointment canceled. No insight into any new ETA. Guess whoever got my hopes up back in early May was misinformed.

Sorry, all. False alarm. Don't bother trying to book your FSD computer upgrades yet. Not gonna happen.

Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 3.14.47 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 3.14.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 3.14.47 PM.png
    155 KB · Views: 39
Second, and with all due respect sir, if you really feel that you are a real danger driving a vehicle, then you shouldn't be driving anything. The Tesla, until it is Level 4/5 autonomous will NOT fix "I'm... a potential if not real danger on the road"

I determined some time ago that I should not drive with another occupant in the car. Where this argument falls is what about other vehicles that might be involved in the accident? Then for convenience would drive with my wife. Still a weak argument even when mellowed by the fact she is arguably less competent because my distance vision is much better and vast experience driving even in lots of winter weather. Thanks to you and others I ask her to drive more and more.

The real danger is that on top of a pacemaker recently installed, I've developed asymptomatic Afib and take a blood thinner for it. I am more likely than others to have a heart attack or stroke which is a worry, especially if incapacitated suddenly. Objectively and rationally you are correct in your admonition. Thanks.

I think what pseudo intellectuals like myself fear about being dead is the loss of consciousness or "I-ness." But we've already experienced that, it's like what we were before birth. A Shirley McClaine I am not. But losing control, especially of mobility and other diseases of old age is a pain in the butt, but I'm not in pain, nor even psychological pain thanks to my loving wife. She is getting bossy, though. The Thai have an expression "Old Bamboo" (as used in a structural fashion) for hard headed. That's at least half my fault, maybe more but I'll never admit it.

You are explicitly not supposed to, per the owners manual.

The system does not properly react to or recognize traffic lights, traffic signs, oncoming traffic, cross-traffic, turn lanes, and many pedestrians and bicycles among the many many reasons that is so.

BTW I've gotten 3 disagrees on this post now- which baffles me given its only content is just stating literally what the owners manual tells you about the system.

I tried booking an upgrade appointment back in early May when it was confirmed they were being installed in Model 3s. After some initial confusion about what I was asking for, mobile service canceled my appointment saying that while initial releases are already rolling out, my VIN range wouldn't be ready for about 4 to 6 weeks and that they'll notify me when ready.

Since then, I've heard of nobody getting the upgrade. That said, it is now past the 6 week mark, so it is possible OP may be one of the first to actually get it. I went ahead and booked another mobile service appointment today (also for the 25th) to see if I can get it installed too as I have texts from the local mobile service folks saying it'd be ready around now. We'll see what happens. Like most of you, I expect this one will get canceled too.

Here's a screenshot of the end of my conversation w/ mobile service from back in May:
WmzRr2S.jpg

Tried to nap at about 12:30 pm today. Got a message from a real person at the Rocklin store on my iWatch cancelling the appointment. Bummer. There was something I didn't catch about software update, I guess that it wasn't available anyway. Later an email notice of cancellation and "try again to schedule."

On the way to the toilet I got even with them by urinating in my shorts. Just kidding. I think it's a problem with a new medication interfering or negating flomax. To be or not to be.

To offend you more my wife says the unpredictable transition from laminar to turbulent flow, combined with an uncertain trajectory ranging from 90-135 degrees, can be fixed by sitting down. Again touting the superiority of women. I suffer such elder abuse. She knows nothing about hydraulic jumps!

Last edited:
I don’t know about upgrading now - I my car was built in January and delivered Feb 26th - before the infamous price drops etc (don’t get me started....). Anyways, Elon said that the current graphic card is good for what - 3 years, then they will have another one, with the same leap in performance as this one is to the last one. Seeing that full autopilot is at least 1 year, maybe more away from full implementation, I’m going to wait for the new, new card. EAP is great on the highway, and they will be having a sale, you can bet on that........
It's likely IMO that other things will be added to the next system, it won't likely just be a new computer upgrade. You probably will not be able to upgrade that system.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
You are explicitly not supposed to, per the owners manual.

The system does not properly react to or recognize traffic lights, traffic signs, oncoming traffic, cross-traffic, turn lanes, and many pedestrians and bicycles among the many many reasons that is so.

The thing is, no matter what disclaimers the lawyers have insisted are in the manual, Tesla themselves market Autopilot for non-highway roads in more than one instace. Here is one early one and there are later ones too:

Tesla enables Autosteer on 'local roads' for new Enhanced Autopilot vehicles - Electrek

About two weeks ago I sent an email to Tesla Customer Support asking about upgrading the computer to the new FSD computer my two cars, one is a 2016 S with HW2.0, the other a 2018 3 with HW2.5. Both bought new with the FSD option. I received an email back on Wednesday stating to get the upgrade I should request service indicating it is for the FSD Upgrade. I used the phone app this morning and setup appts for both cars on August 5th (next time I’ll be around on a weekday). Just received an email confirmation so I guess we just have to wait and see if they cancel.

Aaaand.... they're saying it's still not available. Appointment canceled. No insight into any new ETA. Guess whoever got my hopes up back in early May was misinformed.

Sorry, all. False alarm. Don't bother trying to book your FSD computer upgrades yet. Not gonna happen.

View attachment 421087
Well we know the new FSD computer has been shipping in all Tesla’s for a few weeks now based on Elon’s comments at the Autonomous Day presentation, so I’d say they are available, but maybe not in high volumes. From other posts indicating they are upgrading based on Vin ranges, that lines up, they are slowly allowing the upgrades. I’d suggest we ALL send in the service request to put pressure on production and upgrades of the FSD computer. I’d be nice if someone could setup a tracking database like the EV Firmware tracker were we could select our vin range, HW version and whether we bought FSD initially or added it later and the status of the upgrade.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Well we know the new FSD computer has been shipping in all Tesla’s for a few weeks now based on Elon’s comments at the Autonomous Day presentation, so I’d say they are available, but maybe not in high volumes. From other posts indicating they are upgrading based on Vin ranges, that lines up, they are slowly allowing the upgrades. I’d suggest we ALL send in the service request to put pressure on production and upgrades of the FSD computer. I’d be nice if someone could setup a tracking database like the EV Firmware tracker were we could select our vin range, HW version and whether we bought FSD initially or added it later and the status of the upgrade.

More recently Elon said end of 4th quarter for the upgrades to start.

12737A97-CB70-4F38-89B4-25B47A3961AE.jpeg

BTW I've gotten 3 disagrees on this post now- which baffles me given its only content is just stating literally what the owners manual tells you about the system.
I think you have a good point about this posting. But just to say I don't watch those "disagree" ratings and don't think anything about them. Whenever I disagree with a post, it is not because I think they are wrong, it's usually because my experience or information is different for theirs. I do notice that some people take the "disagree" too seriously. Frankly, I wish the mods would just remove that feature because I don't see that it serves any purpose other that to get a few people upset sometimes. Maybe those "diagrees" are people from the "I don't like him" group. I see that from some posters reacting to others. Sort of childish of them.

It seems rather unwise to begin expensive upgrades before FSD is actually proven to work on V3. Next year when they realize they need V4, what are they going to do?