Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Computer Upgrade and Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems rather unwise to begin expensive upgrades before FSD is actually proven to work on V3. Next year when they realize they need V4, what are they going to do?

They're rolling out FSD-exclusive features that require HW3 by end of the year, so they have to begin to do the HW3 upgrades by then to enable those features on the cars that paid for them.

Likely the lack of clarity on if L5 is achievable without further upgrades is part of the reason the defined/promised feature set for the FSD option was scaled back quite a bit- so that they'd only be on the hook to swap in HW4 for free to the legacy FSD buyers if it comes to that.

They're rolling out FSD-exclusive features that require HW3 by end of the year, so they have to begin to do the HW3 upgrades by then to enable those features on the cars that paid for them.

Likely the lack of clarity on if L5 is achievable without further upgrades is part of the reason the defined/promised feature set for the FSD option was scaled back quite a bit- so that they'd only be on the hook to swap in HW4 for free to the legacy FSD buyers if it comes to that.

Surely people who bought FSD early with HW V2 or V2.5 should be expecting what they actually paid for, i.e. summon from the other side of the country, take a nap while the car drives you to work etc.

Of course their cars may wear out and be scrapped before that becomes available, but unless Tesla wants to issue refunds + interest then they should be expecting full Level 5 with whatever hardware upgrades they get.

Surely people who bought FSD early with HW V2 or V2.5 should be expecting what they actually paid for, i.e. summon from the other side of the country, take a nap while the car drives you to work etc.

Of course their cars may wear out and be scrapped before that becomes available, but unless Tesla wants to issue refunds + interest then they should be expecting full Level 5 with whatever hardware upgrades they get.

Sure- that's in fact exactly what I'm saying.

They scaled back that promise for FUTURE buyers so they'd have a much smaller # of people going forward they were obligated to keep upgrading for free.

The FSD folks who bought earlier should absolutely expect to get L5 (eventually) and get any HW upgrades needed to make that happen for free- or a refund of what they paid for FSD.

Folks who bought after the language change however should only expect the actual specific reduced feature set called out in the product description.

Last edited:
...From other posts indicating they are upgrading based on Vin ranges, that lines up, they are slowly allowing the upgrades. I’d suggest we ALL send in the service request to put pressure on production and upgrades of the FSD computer....

That "other post" about vin based upgrades was also from me. Turns out the person who told me that was misinformed. Zero Model 3's have been upgraded (outside of the very limited and totally full early access program). Don't bother service with your requests. I already did twice now and the goal posts have only shifted farther back. It'll be at least December before they start (and I wouldn't even count on that).

The FSD folks who bought earlier should absolutely expect to get L5 (eventually)

I think they should get it now. Musk promised to demo it in 2017. Their cars are getting older, coming to the end of their lease/loan periods, wearing out, falling out of warranty, and they still have not got what they paid for.

Tesla should just refund them, with interest and a goodwill payment on top, and then give them FSD if/when it ever becomes available.

How long are they supposed to wait before suing to get their money back?

About two weeks ago I sent an email to Tesla Customer Support asking about upgrading the computer to the new FSD computer my two cars, one is a 2016 S with HW2.0, the other a 2018 3 with HW2.5. Both bought new with the FSD option. I received an email back on Wednesday stating to get the upgrade I should request service indicating it is for the FSD Upgrade. I used the phone app this morning and setup appts for both cars on August 5th (next time I’ll be around on a weekday). Just received an email confirmation so I guess we just have to wait and see if they cancel.
Update: I scheduled a service for both cars for Monday August 5th. Earlier this week around July 30th the Bellevue, WA Service center texted and said the FSD Computer Upgrade was not available yet and had no timeline as to when it would be available. I sent them the Customer Service email and the reply was, "Yeah. they push it to the Service Centers to let folks know its not available, even though Customer Service said it Was available". Sh*t.

Just talked to a mobile service guy....evidently Tesla basically sent out a cease and desist from Tesla about doing any retrofits...even employees can't have it done on their cars.

He also said that everyone putting in the service requests for it just bog down the system and cause other people to get longer waits for service and just generally messes up the whole service schedule.

Just talked to a mobile service guy....evidently Tesla basically sent out a cease and desist from Tesla about doing any retrofits...even employees can't have it done on their cars.

He also said that everyone putting in the service requests for it just bog down the system and cause other people to get longer waits for service and just generally messes up the whole service schedule.
Unfortunately I emailed Customer Service last month and their reply was “To get the Full FSD Upgrade use your mobile app and request the upgrade”, which I did, only to have the local service manager text me a few days before the appointment to tell me it was not available.

Unfortunately I emailed Customer Service last month and their reply was “To get the Full FSD Upgrade use your mobile app and request the upgrade”, which I did, only to have the local service manager text me a few days before the appointment to tell me it was not available.

Customer Service probably thought you were talking about the FSD software upgrade (and may not even know about the hardware upgrade..)

Reactions: derotam
Customer Service probably thought you were talking about the FSD software upgrade (and may not even know about the hardware upgrade..)
Could be but I was very specific and through about it being for the new FSD Computer currently shipping. The SC manager said the Customer Service dept just pushes the responsibilities onto the Service Center to inform what’s available or not.

Could be but I was very specific and through about it being for the new FSD Computer currently shipping. The SC manager said the Customer Service dept just pushes the responsibilities onto the Service Center to inform what’s available or not.

I can't remember the last time I emailed customer service for anything and have them actually answer the question I asked, the first time.