Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD [computer upgrade]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's a 2020 it has HW3, everything built after April 2019 has HW3 computer. BTW don't count on having true self driving any time soon, it's going to be Level 2 for a long time. We'll see if the next version of FSD really is the great step that Elon claims it will be but the current version isn't close to being capable of driving the car by itself. I bought FSD, which was only $6K at the time, because I want Level 5 to be available by the time I'm 80, I'm 66 now, that will give me a few more years of independence. By spending the money now I viewed it as an investment in the future, I don't have any expectation that it will reach Level 5 while I own this car.

If it's a 2020 it has HW3, everything built after April 2019 has HW3 computer. BTW don't count on having true self driving any time soon, it's going to be Level 2 for a long time. We'll see if the next version of FSD really is the great step that Elon claims it will be but the current version isn't close to being capable of driving the car by itself. I bought FSD, which was only $6K at the time, because I want Level 5 to be available by the time I'm 80, I'm 66 now, that will give me a few more years of independence. By spending the money now I viewed it as an investment in the future, I don't have any expectation that it will reach Level 5 while I own this car.

Nice to see someone who actually understand where FSD is really at, at the moment. With that said, I am still very interested in the subscription because of the auto lane change and NOA.

help me out here...
i have FSD, and i have a M3P 2019
do i not have the full capability of the newer models? how can i verify computer in my car?
Are you sure you have FSD (Full Self Driving)?
Auto Pilot (AP) became standard on the Model 3 some time in 2019, though I can't remember exactly when. FSD was expensive upgrade, anywhere from $4K to the current $10K

AP is made up of two components: TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control) and Autosteer. Basically, it keeps your car up to speed and keeps it in your lane.

With FSD, you enter an address into the navigation and your car (theoretically) drives you to that address, including lane changing and other things. I am leaving out the efficacy argument touched on above.

Regarding level 2 vs. level 5, I am in total agreement that we're a long way off from truly autonomous driving where you go to sleep in the back seat and wake up at your destination. However, FSD is still going to be very valuable and worthwhile in the time between now and then. The navigate on autopilot function for highway use is nothing short of amazing. It isn't 'perfect', but it is still an incredibly useful tool for long drives that can alleviate driver fatigue and make the trip much more enjoyable. As soon as they have a comparable experience for city streets (again, works great but not perfect) I think FSD will be very nice to have, and in the case of people that need a little extra assistance driving it will be a game changer.

(moderator note: I amended this thread title, because I really (really really really) dont like clickbait style thread titles. This thread appears to be talking about an FSD computer upgrade for the OP, which as pointed out already doesnt make any sense at all for a 2020. Thus, I am going to lock this thread. OP, you can re post a more descriptive new post if you want, but "going in for FSD upgrade for my 2020 Model 3", is a collection of information that does not make sense or fit together.)

Status
Not open for further replies.