Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD covered by insurance when added after purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

If you add FSD to your Model 3 after purchase and your car is totaled, will insurance factor in the FSD cost? Or do you need to add that as an 'aftermarket add-on' type thing (such as custom paint, etc.) for that to be covered?

Just curious and wondered if anyone had done the research on this already. Maybe it doesn't even matter because the amount is inconsequential for a totaled car...

Thanks!
-Michael

...need to add that as an 'aftermarket add-on' type thing (such as custom paint, etc.) for that to be covered?...

When you bought your car insurance, it covers what the purchased price that you told them.

If you told them $35,000 and they don't know about the new additional $5,000 you add later, they still cover you $35,000 because that's premium that covered for that exact amount.

You need to update your new purchase price in order for a new premium assessment and coverage.

Last edited:
In my plan if your car is written off you get full replacement including any aftermarket items within the first 5 years. So I added my tint and other oem mods for my Honda (written off ) and it was covered. You need proof of purchase. All plans are different..

I've owned, and insured, a lot of cars.... never have I been asked to provide what I paid for any of them... just the VIN and when I want coverage to start.

Agree. I have never had to provide the purchase price to an ins co. If you total your car, your insurance company will generate a market comparison report, determining the value of your car against comparable cars. During that evaluation, the ins co will determine the options/AM content on your car and adjust the value accordingly against the comparable vehicles which may or may not have the options. During this phase, it's very important that you verify the option content they assume you car has. The net value they pay you will depend on your policy and deductible.

• Helpful
Reactions: DurandalAI