Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD differences between US and Canada as of June '19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm debating whether to add FSD to my model 3 order in Vancouver Canada. I know their future FSD promises and I'm not counting on those. I just want to know what the differences are between FSD in US & Canada TODAY.

I rent a model 3 on a trip in the states and tried everything FSD related (auto park / summon / nav on ap). But I don't know if there's any Canada only limitations to the FSD now.

If anyone has experience in using FSD in both countries, please let me know.

Gooseserbus is correct. Summon works from much further away in the States. Basically need to be within 10-15 feet in Canada.

Advanced summon is also rolling out to beta testers in the us. There it will work within 150 feet of the car. I'm doubtful Canada will allow such a large distance from the car, but have my fingers crossed.

Other than that, nothing I'm aware of....maybe stoplight detection as well? But that doesn't apparently work well now anyway.

Reactions: samcvan
I think there are two distinct aspects to the FSD issue for Canadians.

One is whether the difference between AP and FSD is worth the money.

Is it worth getting FSD in Canada?

That seems to me to be an individual financial cost/benefit decision.

The other is what the OP asks about, the difference between what Americans and Canadians get for the same purchase of FSD.

The latter strikes me as being a collective interest. I think most all (note, most not all) Tesla owners would benefit by increased lobbying of Canadian politicians to give Canadian owners the same access to advanced FSD features as Americans enjoy.

Even Tesla owners who have not purchased FSD could benefit by Canadians having the same access to FSD features as Americans enjoy. It might make the purchase of FSD service sufficiently desirable for them that they would buy it.

Gooseserbus is correct. Summon works from much further away in the States. Basically need to be within 10-15 feet in Canada.

Advanced summon is also rolling out to beta testers in the us. There it will work within 150 feet of the car. I'm doubtful Canada will allow such a large distance from the car, but have my fingers crossed.

Other than that, nothing I'm aware of....maybe stoplight detection as well? But that doesn't apparently work well now anyway.

The summon issue is not about distance, the issue is our immobilization regulations. We need those challenged or updated. Canada has laws that a car must be immobilized for anti theft. Eventually they will get around to an exception or have the regulation amended that allow the user to disable anti theft for the purpose of summon.

The summon issue is not about distance, the issue is our immobilization regulations. We need those challenged or updated. Canada has laws that a car must be immobilized for anti theft. Eventually they will get around to an exception or have the regulation amended that allow the user to disable anti theft for the purpose of summon.

Hmm, I knew about the immobilization laws, but didn't realize it was in relation to anti-theft. I thought they were more set up such that you can't have the car move unless you are in visual sight of it, not for preventing it from being stolen. If that is the case, it would seem a potential amendment would be fairly straightforward.

Advanced summon would be awesome for me personally because my office is close to the employee parking lot, and it would be super sweet to walk downstairs and have my car waiting for me at the doors (and also be a kickass selling feature to get other people at work to buy a Tesla :) )

Reactions: Vawlkus
Hmm, I knew about the immobilization laws, but didn't realize it was in relation to anti-theft. I thought they were more set up such that you can't have the car move unless you are in visual sight of it, not for preventing it from being stolen. If that is the case, it would seem a potential amendment would be fairly straightforward.

Advanced summon would be awesome for me personally because my office is close to the employee parking lot, and it would be super sweet to walk downstairs and have my car waiting for me at the doors (and also be a kickass selling feature to get other people at work to buy a Tesla :) )

My understanding is the anti theft regulations were just in place before anyone thought of summon. Key fobs or cellphone in Tesla case have to be in or near the car or the anti theft kicks in and the car can't move. I think it should be a pretty straight forward amendment but I'm not a lawyer. I also think Tesla Canadian legal team has been focused on the rebate rules and just over all more important things.