Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen a lot of discussion about the FSD option not worth the money. I added it to my order. My rationalization is that I am contributing to the development of this technology. I have gotten a lot of flack for this stance for various reasons in other forums. I was wondering if anyone else feels the same way. Even if not, would love to hear other's oppionions.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Even if you want to get FSD, it seems to me that the prudent thing to do would be to not include it in your original purchase as that can impact sales tax / assessed value, etc for your car down the line. If I were you and dead set on getting it, I'd purchase it for the 10K after taking delivery.

It's your money and your call to do with it as you please as long as you are making an informed choice. There are lots of posts on various forums that go over some of the gripes people have with the way FSD is set up currently as being non transferrable in any way, etc. It might also be worth waiting for the subscription service to kick in to try it before you buy it. But at the end of the day, It's your money and YOLO, so do what makes you happy.

Reactions: DaddysCar
I have seen a lot of discussion about the FSD option not worth the money. I added it to my order. My rationalization is that I am contributing to the development of this technology. I have gotten a lot of flack for this stance for various reasons in other forums. I was wondering if anyone else feels the same way. Even if not, would love to hear other's oppionions.

As long as you are happy with the money you spent, that would not be a problem.

It's only a problem when people thought they spent money for a particular purpose but it's actually not.

For example, if I paid for a sweet soda but I got a glass of tap water instead, I could rationalize that: It's so wonderful because I am funding for the development of sweet soda so it is perfectly acceptable to get tap water instead.

Normally, when a consumer paid fully for the house upfront, there needs to be a real physical, livable house and not some promise that I'll get my house when the city will approve the zoning as residential and the workers will attain the necessary skills to build it.

But sure, there would be some people looking at an empty plot of land with all the wild grass and trees and say: This is great! This is what my money is for: To advance human skills on how to build a house and to advance the lawyer's skill to persuade the city that they should not exclusively zone it for the industrial park but rather to rezone it as residential just for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: orion2001 and ArtK
Everyone has their own “worth it” meters. For me, FSD would be awesome, but only at half the price, OR if it followed me to a new Tesla. That extra .4 or .5 0-60 I get from the Performance model though? Totally worth the $8K. ☺️👍🏼 If money were no object, I’d have both for sure.

To each their own! Enjoy FSD, I’m quite sure I’ll wish I had it more than once over the life of the car.

Reactions: Vince C.
I purchased FSD just before the last price increase. Gave it a lot of thought after reading all the pros and cons but feel I made the right choice for me. While the promise of autonomous driving is still in question the current FSD version is meeting my expectations.

I was skeptical I would give up “driving”. I have always owned performance cars and didn’t think sitting back letting the car do its thing was something I would go for. But now, after six months, I have to admit I use FSD 95% of the time. If I’m going to be on a straight road for more than a quarter of a mile I always turn it on. The lane centering and stop and go at stop signs and traffic lights works very well and I’m really looking forward to the inclusion of right and left turns.

It‘s far from perfect, but I’m impressed.

I have a model 3 with basic autopilot. We did order FSD for my wife’s Y. I definitely do not think it’s worth it at this point. However, we plan to keep the Y for quite some time so hopefully it will be one day. I will admit, having had a chance to get FSD for like 5k at one point on my 3 and missing out, scarred me a bit. Plus, there is the silliness of feeling like you’re getting the ”top of the line trim” by getting FSD - definitely not a necessity but pretty neat to have.

My point of view is: if you have the money and want to support the development, then it’s no one else’s business what you do with your money. I would do the same if I could. I decided to take some of that money and put paint protection film on my Model Y when she arrives, but that’s my decision. Some people might think spending over $6000 on PPF is foolish, but it’s my money, not theirs.

You do you.

Lots of people seem to think FSD, in it's current state, is not worth the money. I sort of agree after the latest price increase. $10k is a lot to pay for a feature that isn't done yet and has no realistic timeline for being delivered, meaning one provided by the expert engineers working on it, not something Elon says on twitter. I think Elon genuinely believes they are close based on the testing and development he's seeing. But I can tell you as a developer that "close" is sometimes the worst part of the project. You'll have things 99% working but have one critical little thing that make it too unsafe to ship the rest and that little thing may take longer to solve than the rest of the project took to write. AI is not my field, I don't know the challenges they are facing there specifically but I can well imagine they have been close before and had to start over. In fact, we know they have. Elon has said they have. Twice if we count the latest revelation about ditching radar for pure vision as a restart.

Having said that, I got mine at the 7k price point, still a little steep but I feel like what I get out of it right this minute more than justifies that price. I like having navigate on autopilot and the other features that only come with FSD currently and I think they are worth more to me than big red brake calipers or huge wheels which make the ride harsher. But that doesn't mean I'm right and others are wrong. Just that we have different preferences. I do think $10k is a bit much for what they currently offer and that they should stop promising things like City Streets "later this year" and just say, "Here is what it can do now. Here is what we hope to do next, but we can't promise if or when it will be done." But a lot fewer people would buy it that way. Frankly, Elon has made no secret that he is using the money of people who can afford to spend it to fund development on things that he hopes to make cheaper later. That's why they did the Roadster first, then the S, X, etc. So by all means if you can afford to fund the development of future features and are happy with what you get for your money today, then do so.

I paid $7k for FSD on my MY because I really wanted the auto lane changes. I use that feature all of the time. Given the option, I'd certainly buy enhanced autopilot (which had the auto lane changes). At $10k, FSD isn't so cleat cut. I don't do that much city driving, and given the performance of autopilot after years of street-time, I find it hard to believe a trustable city FSD is going to happen anytime soon.

Back in the day (when I ordered my model 3's), Enhanced Autopilot was in my opinion clearly worth the I believe $4,000 over not having any type of autopilot at all. The extra $2,000 for FSD hasn't yielded much bang for its buck so far. Nowadays with free basic autopilot, the extra $10,000 only seems to be worth it if you believe that better FSD improvements are coming soon (within the next 3 years).

I think it all depends on one's outlook on what FSD will mean for them when they purchase it. If you go in fully aware of what you are getting, view it as a more powerful driving aid that will help automate away a bunch of mundane aspects of driving, and have the money to spend on it, you will likely have no regrets about spending on FSD.

If on the other hand, you are buying it for the future promise that Elon keeps hyping, and truly expect Level 4 like self driving during the lifetime of the car and are purchasing FSD out of FOMO because "price will go up", then you will likely come to regret your purchase.

As an aside, I would point out that paying $10K right now to "support FSD" could ironically result in Tesla being less incentivized to spend more resources on FSD. If they have a ton of customers willing to pay them $10K for FSD as it is today, they may decide to prioritize their profits on expanding manufacturing, etc., rather than feeling like FSD is a higher priority. On the flip side, if they see that customers are by and large refusing to pay $10K on FSD as it is today, they may be more incentivized to prioritize funding and development to further improve it so they can attract their customers back to their FSD offering.

Outside of yes or no...
If i was going to get I would buy After purchase for the following reasons:
1. buy with credit card and get reward/cash back
2. Less to be financed/lower payment(if you have the cash)
3. Possibly lower registration and/or insurance rate if lower price of car by 10k???(Not sure about this one)

Even if you want to get FSD, it seems to me that the prudent thing to do would be to not include it in your original purchase as that can impact sales tax / assessed value, etc for your car down the line. If I were you and dead set on getting it, I'd purchase it for the 10K after taking delivery.

It's your money and your call to do with it as you please as long as you are making an informed choice. There are lots of posts on various forums that go over some of the gripes people have with the way FSD is set up currently as being non transferrable in any way, etc. It might also be worth waiting for the subscription service to kick in to try it before you buy it. But at the end of the day, It's your money and YOLO, so do what makes you happy.
Sell the FSD with the car to a third party. Should recoup at least 50% of the current FSD cost.

I have the half baked FSD or enhanced Autopilot if you prefer which pretty much gives you most cool features that are offered at this point in time. The FSD promise is still a promise after how many years? Tesla jacked the price some time ago to appease those who purchased it a few years back that it is gaining in value and is still marketing this as being valued at the price of the car once it is fully operational which will never happen in the time you will own your Tesla.

My biggest concern is all these people you see on the news getting caught in the back seat or sleeping while using FSD. Pretty sure it is a question of time before country/state/province will ban the use of any such ability. If this does become the case, will Elon reimburse us?

Bottom line is it is extremely unlikely any country will allow FSD without severe testing over years of every odd situation that can come up. FSD will never exist in the near future without having hands on the wheel or some other form of making sure the driver is watching the road and on standby at a moments notice. Way too easy to buy those override steering wheel attachments that many are using. Yes they banned them in the US but seriously do you think that stops people from buying them outside of the US.

The term FSD is misleading and has been criticized many a time, it should be called Driver Assit Self Driving.

Don't get me wrong, love the way it functions now and nothing out there compares.

I have FSD and I use it all the time. I'm used to it and it'll be hard to go back. These are the FSD functions I use:

- Green light chime
- Traffic light and stop sign control
- Auto lane switching

I don't use summon, self-parking, or NOA and Autosteer city is a don't care for me. I navigate and make turns myself and only allow the car to go "straight" by itself. I might use Autosteer city when traveling to new unfamiliar places.