Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the hesitation and seemingly slow decision making is related to insufficient HW 3.0 processing power?
I have a background in custom AI ASICs at Google and it isn't for lack of processing power. The way these ASICs work is that they are designed to run one set of essentially "burned in" code stack. It is expecting only a certain type of things it needs to process. Therefore, when the NNs are pushed into memory and then fed images, it is very easy to see the latency and there is always sufficient memory and processing power as there are no other spurious or background threads to cause interuptions or take up clock cycles unexectedly.

I believe the hesitation is that the NN either does not have enough LSTM (Long Short Term Memory weightings) or a construct that that allows the inference models to remember what has happened in the near past. I think they are tackling this in V11 with 'object permanence' to apply LSTM practically to their solution set.

The map is only used for very rough turns. For FSD, the road ahead is a complete black box, until is runs a NN trained model to infer what is in the black box. Thus if it infers a lane it will use it, but it has to infer it first, nothing is inferred from the map other than a turn is coming up in X feet which is fused to GPS.
But I'm told in advance which lane goes which way, certainly before it can infer that from what it sees. If it isn't getting that information from the maps, where is it coming from? I find it difficult to believe that it's an improvement to go from "you want to be in one of the two leftmost lanes to continue on your route" to "I'll figure out which lane we want to be in when I can see how the road goes".

Reactions: Doggydogworld
A) Tesla can see intervention data so maybe there is a consistent trend downwards on interventions and Elon is making assumptions based on data. Humans are terrible about keeping tracks mentally of things like this. One intervention can psychologically make someone feel like it's not getting better.

B) Elon usually runs on a more advanced build, as does Tesla employees. We don't know if Elon's referencing a newer build or even V11 that Tesla is running internally.

Not saying Elon is right here, but there's other things to consider when he makes that statement.
LOL. People have been saying EM has the data. The problem is he’s been saying “it’s here, it’s here” for so many years now.
Closer, perhaps, but still not close enough (for a long long while).

It is simply construction from the map as opposed to being used for inference
I've an intersection where - the car can't see the lines on the perpendicular road. Yet, visualization shows lanes on that road and also the blue navigation path to the correct lane. When the car starts the turn, it will adjust as the lines become visible.

Ofcourse, one of the issues is the map is not always used properly for planning ... for eg. upcoming speed decreases are not taken into account and the car doesn't slow down before the speed change.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Possibly, but he didn't say that. He said previously that 10.12 was probably Tuesday, so this probably means it wasn't good enough and we'll get 10.12.1 or something like that. Too many unknowns to say.
They give a number to the build only when it goes outside Tesla (IIRC). So, it should still be 10.12 when it comes out. Ofcourse we could still get a 10.12.1 after that ….

Have not seen this posted here.
Not super impressed. Max speed 49km/h even on highways, buses overtaking it on the inside. U-turn was painfully slow. No memory, detections popping up intermittently. Everything remapped. It's a cute demo for a local optimum But lidar will probably end up being a crutch like Radar was for Tesla.

Am I the only one with a bad experience or are people just not saying anything?
I confirm that I have personally experienced each and every one of the concerns you have listed on my FSD beta 10.69.2. And I can probably add another 20 more, especially in regards to regular road obstructions, unusual lane markings/poor unmarkings/re-marking adjustments and driving through construction zones. But 10.69.2 is still a gigantic improvement over the first beta I received in Feb 2022.

I have been experimenting with acceleration set to chill vs standard, and setting default speed at various +/- settings. So far setting at -7 km/hr below speed limit seems to work best to minimize intervention. Chill/standard does not seem to make any difference. But I do need to dial up the speed if there are cars approaching from the behind and break the zero intervention criteria.

Also, dialing down the speed to 22 km/hr on every turn greatly reduces the anxiety level of my passenger as that is my typical speed at the sharpest point of the turn when I drive.

If each new version provides the same level of improvement as 10.69.2, then I estimate 2 (or max 3) updates should meet 95% of my drives for no intervention. Currently it is close to 5%, which is a great improvement from 0% for Toronto.

For me personally, I am not factoring FSD into the SP for several more years. Certainly not going to do so just because FSDb is about to get wide-released to everyone who purchased it. Here's why:

1) FSDb just isn't robust enough yet. I was in the first safety-score cohort that got FSDb last year on Oct 11 2021. We were on v10.2 back then. First impressions: wow, the car is doing it's own thing! That feeling cannot be understated. But it was heavily tempered by, wow this thing is incredibly jerky and very uncomfortable. Around the end of the year, Musk suggested (to Lex Fridman maybe) that FSDb would be ready for wide release in a year. Of course he's said this so many times in years past, but this time, I could experience the progress firsthand rather than try to sift through the shills and the naysayers opinions. Between each version, it was difficult to tell if there was meaningful progress being made. But after 4 or 5 releases, it was clear FSDb was definitely improving. But is it improving at a rate fast enough to be ready for the end of the year mass deployment?

2) What will be delivered at the end of 2022 won't be what the masses might expect. What will be released is a feature-incomplete, L2 system, where the driver must keep their hands on the wheel along with cabin camera enforcement of looking forward. Yes, Elon did say during the call last night that you wouldn't need to touch the wheel. IMO he was trying to convey capability of the system. But the system is still going to enforce periodic torque like it has since forever. Because in reality, there will still be lots of situations where the car does something completely wrong and unexpected, and the driver is responsible to prevent it from being unsafe. Also note how Elon dodged the question specifically asking about L4/5 capability. He's basically saying that by EoY, FSDb will be a decent L2 system. We're almost at the EoY, and based on my observations since 10.2, we're going to end up with an L2 system where paying attention is very, very mandatory. The car still exhibits unnatural jerkiness on some very basic turns, and it also has no idea about your local driving culture (speed limits, aggressive passing, etc).

I also said it was feature-incomplete because there's still a fairly long list of things the car can't do, like U-turns, 3-pt turns, reverse maneuvers, interpreting more complex signage, school zones, school buses, etc. These aren't things the car does poorly; it flat out can't handle them yet. therefore, feature-incomplete.

3) Maybe the EoY wide release will allow Tesla to recognize revenue from FSD, and that might make for a nice earnings report, but I think there's a fundamental disconnect between the capability of FSDb and the asking price, currently $15,000 as of this writing. I'm not going to dictate what is a good value for FSDb, but based on how it performs today, my intuition tells me many people would be disappointed with FSDb performance after paying that amount. Already there are lots of vocal people on TMC polluting every FSD thread about how they were duped, and FSD is a scam. This problem could escalate more once FSDb is wide-released. Once FSDb is available to all, I would advise anyone thinking of purchasing it to do a 1-month subscription first. You might love it; great! Or you might hate it, at which point I just saved you $14801 that you can put into TSLA. Assuming informed buyers and current FSD pricing, I don't see take rates being high enough to be material to the SP. I feel that FSDb still needs a year or two to become polished enough to justify TODAY's $15,000 pricing. At that point, it would be feature complete and a very reliable and comfortable L2 system.

I love FSDb, and I love being part of the testing process. I send snapshots and send Tesla detailed emails describing problems and suggesting feature improvements, even beyond FSD. But I cringe a bit when I hear the bulls get overenthusiastic about FSD and robotaxi potential. It will need more time. And one more observation: for any robotaxi that intends to operate without a driver, all doors and trunk lids need an ability to auto-close. Imagine passengers getting out and leaving the doors open. Would the car just drive off like that? Not safely. And in the S3XY lineup, only the Model X has auto-closing doors. So unless 3/Y get autodoor retrofits, don't count on them being the driverless robotaxi fleet of the future.
Thanks for such an informitive post. I like to ask a few questions that will help me understand FSDb better.

Has the comfort of the drive improved?

Is phantom braking a problem for you still?

How many disengagement do you have only a daily basis and has that improved?

I am an OG 100% safety score beta tester.
I have put 13 months and 22k miles on Beta and use it exclusively.
I have gone through every upgrade and there are usually 2 steps forward and 1 step back. About 3 months ago the changes became more like 2 steps forward 1/2 step back.
My commute is 57 miles each way. 50% Fsd and 50% NOA. I have been tracking interventions and disengagements since jump. At first they were 7 to 8 each way from home to work or vice versa. (Usually 1 or 2 safety related) Today, 1 sometimes 2 interventions. Those 1 and 2 are no longer safety related, they are me pushing the accelerator to speed up after a stop sign or speed up on unprotected left turns out of courtesy for a driver behind me.
My advice to anyone speculating, if you haven't been personally using it, don't try to comment on it. Taking 1 or 2 or 3 drives doesn't suffice. Watching YT videos of others also doesn't depict it accurately.
Most opinions on Fsd beta are like some guy teaching self defense in a book that has never been in a fist fight in real life, or like Gordo's 1 year price targets.
It's happening now, everyday and every new release. We are very close to being safer than most drivers. Beta doesn't care about texting, missed calls, getting sleepy, etc.
It has 8 cameras watching non stop with no distractions.
I feel 100% safer with it driving instead of my wife... which isn't a Herculean feat, but she knows it, hence hates my car.
As far as regulators go, I won't bother speculating, but can use my imagination.
HODL, because when it goes out to all fsd cars, start planning your retirement.