Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As your post splits FSD into 'unsupervised FSD vs supervised FSD', it's likely the disagree / agree in replies will be split between the first two paragraphs on supervised (above) vs the last two paragraphs on unsupervised (below). Supervised FSD are not two points to be toggled from one to the other; they're not even just a line segment with infinite points in between the two ends...supervised FSD and unsupervised FSD are merely two points on a infinite line that extends both backwards before unsupervised FSD and forwards beyond unsupervised FSD. Even today's current supervised FSDb point on that line provides a great deal of value to myself and many others already, far beyond anything else commercially available to us.

The root issue that is being missed is that FSD is being presented as a binary toggle, it's either "unsupervised" or "supervised", as though you envision one day it has very little value and the next day when the switch is flipped it has great value. Consider that, as with most everything else in the universe, there are steps in between, and yes, those steps in between do provide value and are not 'worthless'. Over the past 119 years from the first Ford Model T to the most recent Model X to roll off the line today, people have paid for automation in increments. Between 100% manual and today's FSDb purchasers paid more for changing gears to be automated, then paid more for very crude cruise control that merely kept the gas / air flow rate mechanically open but speed varied based on inclination, then paid more for smarter cruise control that could maintain speed somewhat even when climbing hills, then paid more for traffic-aware cruise control to not hit the car in front of them, then paid more for steering lane assist, and some (myself included) even paid more for FSDb to be able to do things like lane changes and ding when the light turns green and so on. Even something as simple as starting the car wasn't a single-step...people paid more to replace the hand crank with an electric starter, paid more to replace pumping the gas pedal with automatic priming, paid more for push-button starting, and now Tesla cars do not even need to be 'started'. Those who do find value in each incremental step pay more, funding the development that allows for each next incremental step.

TLDR: When saying something is "close to worthless" until it reaches some arbitrary mark of completeness, at the least one should use the phrase "close to worthless to me" to indicate that they understand others may find significant value in all the steps in between. At the best, one should realize while they're saying it that they are setting themselves up to lose out on enjoying everything to be had along the way in between today and that arbitrary point in the future. Queue the music (Miley Cyrus - The Climb - Official Music Video (HQ), 2015).
Thanks for the well thoguht out reply, appreciate how you weave it into the history of automation.

In retrospect I suppose I should change my stance from being “near worthless” to being a nice option to have If you can afford it. I get what you are saying about the development Of FSD as a long continuous line, but from a business / product marketing perspective the moment it becomes unsupervised and does not require a driver is the moment it becomes an entirely different product. It’s no longer just a driver assistance feature, it’s a personal driver.

Some analogies that maybe highlight the product differences between unsupervised FSD vs supervised FSD:

A personal gardener vs some nice high end gardening tools.
A personal chef vs some nice high end kitchen equipment
A tailor vs a nice sewing machine
A security guard vs an alarm system
A builder vs some nice DIY equipment
A cleaner vs some powerful cleaning equipment

The former does the work for you without your presence or attention, the latter requires your presence, attention & some effort.

The value of a “nice to have option“ that is supervision required FSD to tesla is maybe tens of billions in market cap. The value of an approved unsupervised FSD product that requires no human presence is somewhere in the hundreds of billions to trillions (depending on whether other vendors also offer similar)

Reactions: Hiline
Thanks for the well thoguht out reply, appreciate how you weave it into the history of automation.

In retrospect I suppose I should change my stance from being “near worthless” to being a nice option to have If you can afford it. I get what you are saying about the development Of FSD as a long continuous line, but from a business / product marketing perspective the moment it becomes unsupervised and does not require a driver is the moment it becomes an entirely different product. It’s no longer just a driver assistance feature, it’s a personal driver.

Some analogies that maybe highlight the product differences between unsupervised FSD vs supervised FSD:

The former does the work for you without your presence or attention, the latter requires your presence, attention & some effort.

The value of a “nice to have option“ that is supervision required FSD to tesla is maybe tens of billions in market cap. The value of an approved unsupervised FSD product that requires no human presence is somewhere in the hundreds of billions to trillions (depending on whether other vendors also offer similar)
Hmm...each of those analogies appear to be presenting a human, and assuming the human does it all for you, including the decision making, and handles all possible situations, even those you don't encounter. But wouldn't:
1. A personal gardener still need your input from time to time ("That tree is leaning more and more, are you ready for it to be removed and lose the kids treehouse?"). Conversely, for many other homeowners with just grass in the front and back yard, the evolution from manual-mower to powered-mower to riding-mower to robotic-mower (already available), with automatic sprinklers, the high-end gardening tools of robotic mower and automatic sprinklers may give them the same experience for their needs.
2. A personal chef is fantastic if one wants home-cooked complex meals constantly but can still screw up ("Trying a new recipe for the chicken, hope you don't get food poisoning"). Whereas for someone who predominantly dines out / has food delivered and eats only very basics at home (at sporatic times of the day and night), a Keurig Eccellenza Momentum and a fridge to keep the creamer and some milk cold is more useful than telling the chef to make a bowl of cereal at 3am. I know some people who have literally not cooked a meal in incredibly long times.

<...>

As I look at the list, it occurs to me that in most cases, the first item would likely need the second item (tailor needing a sewing machine, guard still needing all the windows / doors etc to be alarmed, cleaner still needing a vacuum, etc). And, when something goes wrong with the second item on that list, you-the-owner will still need to get involved (it will be you, not the security guard, dealing with the police report and insurance company, etc). The greater the complexity of what is needed, the greater the need for the first item. That's actually kind of my point, in reverse...the more things can be simplified, the less the first item is needed.

FSD for someone who only goes to places near their newly built suburban neighborhood in an upscale area of the US, where all streets are nice and wide and newly marked and parking is always immediately available and they don't mind walking a block or so from parking to destination, etc, will likely get 100% solved for them and their specific use case first. While they are celebrating, others who have more complex transportation needs will still be waiting because it won't be solved for them and their specific use cases.

If one sets the goal of "FSD isn't done until it doesn't require anyone's attention anywhere in any situation worldwide", then the timeline may be in the many-decades magnitude. However, long before then, it will be solved to not require anyone's attention the vast majority of time.

Consider it this way: Assuming you lived in the most FSD-compatible house in the most FSD-compatible neighborhood possible, and had the most FSD-compatible travel needs, etc etc etc, how many years do you think it will take for FSD to handle 5% of your rides independently without you paying attention? 50%? 100%? Now assume AAA (or your auto manufacturer) can not only come to you to fix your unexpected flat tire, they can also remote-control your car (if you give them permission) to get it past that unexpected weird thing that happens once a year that FSD wasn't able to handle...what does that timeline look like?

TLDR:
I think you are underestimating the value of "I have to supervise but rarely have to do anything", but even with your framing, there are the in-between values of "It can take grandma to her weekly knitting circle down the street for me, so now I only need to drive her to the 17 doctor's appointments this week"..."It can take my 12-year-old to their school 2 miles away and pick them up afterwards while I'm at work, and the twice-a-year the car gets stuck I get an alert and approve remote-control driving by AAA or Tesla"..."Once I'm on the freeway I can stop paying attention for the next 200 miles until it gets to within 5 miles of my exit". Even just looking at the "unsupervised FSD product" scenarios, it will *not* be a single day when everything works for everyone...it will be a gradual release of increasing scenarios being handled. And each one of those will add significant value long before any 100%-unsupervised-in-any-scenario product is anywhere close to reality.

Reactions: GSP

Do you see the issue with your assertion at the end compared to examples you have given ?

Which of those is a bigger market ?!? Personal Chef or kitchen equipment ?

I think in the light of economic struggles of Waymo, Cruise etc we have to re-examine the market for AVs. As an ADAS FSDb will be very valuable and bring in a lot of cash for Tesla. A robotaxi network is a different beast ....

Hmm...each of those analogies appear to be presenting a human, and assuming the human does it all for you, including the decision making, and handles all possible situations, even those you don't encounter. But wouldn't:
1. A personal gardener still need your input from time to time ("That tree is leaning more and more, are you ready for it to be removed and lose the kids treehouse?"). Conversely, for many other homeowners with just grass in the front and back yard, the evolution from manual-mower to powered-mower to riding-mower to robotic-mower (already available), with automatic sprinklers, the high-end gardening tools of robotic mower and automatic sprinklers may give them the same experience for their needs.
2. A personal chef is fantastic if one wants home-cooked complex meals constantly but can still screw up ("Trying a new recipe for the chicken, hope you don't get food poisoning"). Whereas for someone who predominantly dines out / has food delivered and eats only very basics at home (at sporatic times of the day and night), a Keurig Eccellenza Momentum and a fridge to keep the creamer and some milk cold is more useful than telling the chef to make a bowl of cereal at 3am. I know some people who have literally not cooked a meal in incredibly long times.

<...>

As I look at the list, it occurs to me that in most cases, the first item would likely need the second item (tailor needing a sewing machine, guard still needing all the windows / doors etc to be alarmed, cleaner still needing a vacuum, etc). And, when something goes wrong with the second item on that list, you-the-owner will still need to get involved (it will be you, not the security guard, dealing with the police report and insurance company, etc). The greater the complexity of what is needed, the greater the need for the first item. That's actually kind of my point, in reverse...the more things can be simplified, the less the first item is needed.

FSD for someone who only goes to places near their newly built suburban neighborhood in an upscale area of the US, where all streets are nice and wide and newly marked and parking is always immediately available and they don't mind walking a block or so from parking to destination, etc, will likely get 100% solved for them and their specific use case first. While they are celebrating, others who have more complex transportation needs will still be waiting because it won't be solved for them and their specific use cases.

If one sets the goal of "FSD isn't done until it doesn't require anyone's attention anywhere in any situation worldwide", then the timeline may be in the many-decades magnitude. However, long before then, it will be solved to not require anyone's attention the vast majority of time.

Consider it this way: Assuming you lived in the most FSD-compatible house in the most FSD-compatible neighborhood possible, and had the most FSD-compatible travel needs, etc etc etc, how many years do you think it will take for FSD to handle 5% of your rides independently without you paying attention? 50%? 100%? Now assume AAA (or your auto manufacturer) can not only come to you to fix your unexpected flat tire, they can also remote-control your car (if you give them permission) to get it past that unexpected weird thing that happens once a year that FSD wasn't able to handle...what does that timeline look like?

TLDR:

I think you are underestimating the value of "I have to supervise but rarely have to do anything", but even with your framing, there are the in-between values of "It can take grandma to her weekly knitting circle down the street for me, so now I only need to drive her to the 17 doctor's appointments this week"..."It can take my 12-year-old to their school 2 miles away and pick them up afterwards while I'm at work, and the twice-a-year the car gets stuck I get an alert and approve remote-control driving by AAA or Tesla"..."Once I'm on the freeway I can stop paying attention for the next 200 miles until it gets to within 5 miles of my exit". Even just looking at the "unsupervised FSD product" scenarios, it will *not* be a single day when everything works for everyone...it will be a gradual release of increasing scenarios being handled. And each one of those will add significant value long before any 100%-unsupervised-in-any-scenario product is anywhere close to reality.
Yeah I think people/ Elon just focus on the final end game of Robo Taxi, which would be game changing but the reality is most/ many people drive to and from work 5 days a week (well at least pre pandemic), and always take the same route. I see a lot of complaints about FSD getting in the wrong lane on turns etc but would be easy to have a route mode where you drive your commute and then remembers the turns / lanes. If it sees construction cones or such it could deviate. You also get a pretty good idea where it has issues with and could pay more attention there but just not having to have a death grip on the steering wheel makes commuting less tiring. I think Tesla could make more money now by offering a $5k “FSD” package that gets you most of the benefit but does not claim to give you true FSD in the future.

This is an example of how Tesla fans can use bad comparison and spread misinformation too.

Cruise is using a totally different collision standard. Afterall they show 50 collisions per 1 M miles as the standard - that is 10x more than what Tesla shows as the standard.

I've posted this a number of times. Tesla is probably only looking at L1 (or may be L2+). Cruise considers L4+. L1 is the severest crash and L4 is very minor.

1682875011828.png

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline and GSP
This is an example of how Tesla fans can use bad comparison and spread misinformation too.

Cruise is using a totally different collision standard. Afterall they show 50 collisions per 1 M miles as the standard - that is 10x more than what Tesla shows as the standard.

I've posted this a number of times. Tesla is probably only looking at L1 (or may be L2+). Cruise considers L4+. L1 is the severest crash and L4 is very minor.

View attachment 933267
This is helpful. I was wondering about the vast difference in average miles/accident for US drivers.

If Cruise said that was 50 collisions per 1 M miles, wouldn't that be 20,000 miles/accident? If so then Cruise would be using the "L3+" Crash Type.

GSP

View attachment 933267

Here's Tesla's description of their crash criteria according to the Vehicle Safety Report:

"we count all crashes in which the incident alert indicated an airbag or other active restraint deployed. In practice, this correlates to nearly any crash at about 12 mph (20 kph) or above, depending on the crash forces generated."

I can't find the definitions of the Crash Types column in your table. Does that still fall somewhere between L1 and L2+?

Not sure if this question has been raised and addressed. Once Tesla FSD achieves L3-L4 autonomy in North America, how quickly will Tesla make FSD work for other countries? Since FSD is all vision-based, I assume the system will learn other countries' signs and roads just as quickly as a human driver would?

Here's Tesla's description of their crash criteria according to the Vehicle Safety Report:

"we count all crashes in which the incident alert indicated an airbag or other active restraint deployed. In practice, this correlates to nearly any crash at about 12 mph (20 kph) or above, depending on the crash forces generated."

I can't find the definitions of the Crash Types column in your table. Does that still fall somewhere between L1 and L2+?

1682967092019.png

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Not sure if this question has been raised and addressed. Once Tesla FSD achieves L3-L4 autonomy in North America, how quickly will Tesla make FSD work for other countries? Since FSD is all vision-based, I assume the system will learn other countries' signs and roads just as quickly as a human driver would?
FSD beta already works in Canada, which uses international road signage conventions.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow and Hiline

View attachment 933601

Thanks. So it does sound like most of Tesla's reported collisions would be L1, with some L2.

There is somewhat of a fundamental issue with how these severities are defined, however. They're all seem to be written assuming a human will review every mile driven and manually compile reports. Tesla could automatically report on a few L3 items (like road departures), but I don't think they have any mechanism to automatically detect things like minor curb clipping. And they certainly couldn't automatically determine the value of damaged property.

Thanks. So it does sound like most of Tesla's reported collisions would be L1, with some L2.

There is somewhat of a fundamental issue with how these severities are defined, however. They're all seem to be written assuming a human will review every mile driven and manually compile reports. Tesla could automatically report on a few L3 items (like road departures), but I don't think they have any mechanism to automatically detect things like minor curb clipping. And they certainly couldn't automatically determine the value of damaged property.
Remember these are done by Vergia Tech to get statistically valid accident rates and causes of those, that in turn helps urban planners.

Cruise and Waymo etc can track their collisions comprehensively because of small fleet. How could Tesla do it .. esp. things like curbings are obviously important and if they can’t even figure out stats on that how will they improve FSD?

I hope they can figure out some of these by looking at g forces etc. But tracking L3/L4 incidents is important for tracking FSD error rates. That is why disengagement rates are very important and with robust voice reporting and perhaps voice prompts to answer questions after every disengagement becomes important.

Reactions: willow_hiller
That is why disengagement rates are very important and with robust voice reporting and perhaps voice prompts to answer questions after every disengagement becomes important.

I was thinking it would be nice if Tesla gave us a common vocabulary to use in voice reports. I often struggle to come up with the words to describe faults succinctly in a way I hope whatever is interpreting them can understand.

But with a common vocabulary, you could potentially track L3/L4 with key phrases like "I hit a curb."

I was thinking it would be nice if Tesla gave us a common vocabulary to use in voice reports. I often struggle to come up with the words to describe faults succinctly in a way I hope whatever is interpreting them can understand.

But with a common vocabulary, you could potentially track L3/L4 with key phrases like "I hit a curb."
It could be just a simple survey.
1. Was this disengagement safety related. Yes/No
2. If safety related rate it’s severity 1 to 10
3. Describe the incident…

Best guess timing:
11.4.1 imminent
July - 11.5? Start transitioning to diffusion
Aug - No hands on US highways
Sep - 11.6? Complete transition to diffusion
Dec - Dojo takes the load
Feb 24 - FSD V12 (end to end AI)
Mar 24 -Price increase
Apr 24 - Private use of door to door level 4 FSD now enabled in US
July 24 - Price increase
August 24 - Tesla Network (SEXY robotaxi) singularity
Mar 25 - Gen 3 joins Network

Improvements?

Best guess timing:
11.4.1 imminent
July - 11.5? Start transitioning to diffusion
Aug - No hands on US highways
Sep - 11.6? Complete transition to diffusion
Dec - Dojo takes the load
Feb 24 - FSD V12 (end to end AI)
Mar 24 -Price increase
Apr 24 - Private use of door to door level 4 FSD now enabled in US
July 24 - Price increase
August 24 - Tesla Network (SEXY robotaxi) singularity
Mar 25 - Gen 3 joins Network

Improvements?
My guess where this is most likely wrong is that V12 will include diffusion for the first time. This would bring timeline forward dramatically. But why didn't Elon mention diffusion again in his latest tweet?

Reactions: AZRI11
If, like me, you dismissed FSD for failing on roundabouts, I recommend watching this. My faith has been restored.
In the vid it expertly handles other drivers driving badly. Two who barge in. One who changes exit plan mid-way around. Entry is assertive when clear, yielding when not. Crosswalks also handled perfectly, no hesitation when clear.
Robotaxi. Is. Coming. OMG.

If, like me, you dismissed FSD for failing on roundabouts, I recommend watching this. My faith has been restored.
In the vid it expertly handles other drivers driving badly. Two who barge in. One who changes exit plan mid-way around. Entry is assertive when clear, yielding when not. Crosswalks also handled perfectly, no hesitation when clear.
Robotaxi. Is. Coming. OMG.

How anyone can deny that the rate of progress since single stack hasn't accelerated materially just dumbfounds me. And we're already on the doorstep of another big release coming out. Past 6 months, but especially the past 3 months have significantly made me more bullish for FSD adoption rate and revenue in the near term (next 12 months). Before I was thinking 2025 was the more realistic timeline for mass FSD adoption rate.