Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Edge cases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are cameras on the side pillars, they can see more on the left than you can.
On the middle broad side of the car sure, but they’re badly placed when you consider how people lean forward to look around corners and obstacles. Relying on cameras in the B pillars here is like sitting allllll the way back and just turning your head to look before moving, which doesn’t really work when you’re nosing into a lane and tolerances are super tight for a pending turn or whatever else.

There’s no shortage of Beta testers who believe this could be a fundamental flaw and that more cameras might be required to safely execute in all situations

Level 5 is a red herring. Useful FSD will definitely happen. I don’t care about theoretical FSD.
There is no doubt in my mind that useful FSD is in the near future - maybe 2-3 years. I have been on FSD Beta since 10.3.1 and it has ALREADY made great improvements in functionality and behavior. Its getting closer and closer to being a fully useful product.

I tend to use it in a way that is convenient for me - I don't "challenge" it too often to do unprotected lefts and rights and stuff. I let it make turns on green in both directions since it does those so well. I think as more data gets fed into the neural network it will get more and more useful. Not having to worry about green lights or a forced max +5 mph offset in its current state is already a bonus that I love.

There are cameras on the side pillars, they can see more on the left than you can.
I wish that were true in all situations but it's simply not. When I lean forward I'm almost 3 feet closer to the front then the B-pillar cameras and the front cameras don't see 90 degrees left or right. The bushes and tree in the way simply block the B-pillar camera where I can creep turned to the right and lean far forward to maximize my sight. Even this method is difficult but at least it works. FSD keeps trying to project me into the intersection with cars approaching.

On the middle broad side of the car sure, but they’re badly placed when you consider how people lean forward to look around corners and obstacles. Relying on cameras in the B pillars here is like sitting allllll the way back and just turning your head to look before moving, which doesn’t really work when you’re nosing into a lane and tolerances are super tight for a pending turn or whatever else.

There’s no shortage of Beta testers who believe this could be a fundamental flaw and that more cameras might be required to safely execute in all situations
I agree that front cameras should have been placed near the edge of the car not in the middle. There can be obstacles that create blind spots for both cameras. Cameras are wide angle so they do cover everything with overlaps, but blind spots are possible.

Reactions: K5TRX
There is no doubt in my mind that useful FSD is in the near future - maybe 2-3 years. I have been on FSD Beta since 10.3.1 and it has ALREADY made great improvements in functionality and behavior. Its getting closer and closer to being a fully useful product.

I tend to use it in a way that is convenient for me - I don't "challenge" it too often to do unprotected lefts and rights and stuff. I let it make turns on green in both directions since it does those so well. I think as more data gets fed into the neural network it will get more and more useful. Not having to worry about green lights or a forced max +5 mph offset in its current state is already a bonus that I love.
Oh brother. Just drive the car and forget about all that Crazy Elon stuff

I wish that were true in all situations but it's simply not. When I lean forward I'm almost 3 feet closer to the front then the B-pillar cameras and the front cameras don't see 90 degrees left or right. The bushes and tree in the way simply block the B-pillar camera where I can creep turned to the right and lean far forward to maximize my sight. Even this method is difficult but at least it works. FSD keeps trying to project me into the intersection with cars approaching.

If you lean forward to the windshield, are you not now in the fisheye field of view? Perhaps the answer is not to add more fender cameras but to involve the wide angle camera in more object recognition.

Reactions: loquitur
If you lean forward to the windshield, are you not now in the fisheye field of view? Perhaps the answer is not to add more fender cameras but to involve the wide angle camera in more object recognition.
Hard to see an object when the camera cannot see past the obstruction until you're 3 feet into the road which means traffic cannot squeeze between you and the center yellow line. Not an isssue with most roads but definitely on narrow 2 lane roads.

I'm not convinced that leaning forward gives us that much more visibility. We do it instinctively when there's an obstruction, but it likely doesn't help unless you also creep the car forward. I have 3 obstructed T intersections just getting out of my neighborhood, and at the point where I want to lean forward, I purposely stop the car before the front end crosses the end of my road. Can't see. Lean foward. Can't see. creep car into the intersection. Can barely see, and if there's someone barreling down, i'm slamming on the brakes and hope they have enough control to swerve or brake.

-edit-
I have been very tempted at times to sneak out at night with an electric (quiet) chainsaw and just cut down all the sh*t obstructing these intersections. I can't believe the property owners would allow this to happen. surely they have to deal with the same damn blind spots.

Reactions: GWord
I'm not convinced that leaning forward gives us that much more visibility. We do it instinctively when there's an obstruction, but it likely doesn't help unless you also creep the car forward. I have 3 obstructed T intersections just getting out of my neighborhood, and at the point where I want to lean forward, I purposely stop the car before the front end crosses the end of my road. Can't see. Lean foward. Can't see. creep car into the intersection. Can barely see, and if there's someone barreling down, i'm slamming on the brakes and hope they have enough control to swerve or brake.

-edit-
I have been very tempted at times to sneak out at night with an electric (quiet) chainsaw and just cut down all the sh*t obstructing these intersections. I can't believe the property owners would allow this to happen. surely they have to deal with the same damn blind spots.

Agreed. It maybe gives you another couple of degrees at best, I would think. Maybe an edge case here or there with a minority of drivers. "Creep and peep" is an (unfortunately named) recognized and taught technique for dealing with obstructed intersections and it seems like FSD simply implements this.

Perhaps Tesla should glue a camera on a stick way out in front. As a side benefit, it would be a hit with the bosozoku community.

artworks-000642767338-iycvdf-t500x500.jpg