Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD email from Tesla (April 5, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone received an email from Tesla about FSD, including a ballpark timeline of when service centers will receive the HW3 processors for installation into cars configured for FSD? Just wondering, because I haven’t, but this video, posted on YouTube today (4/5/2019), details this email at around the 2:23 mark. If it’s to be believed, some people may be getting their hardware upgrades “a few months prior to the release of FSD.”

Has anyone received an email from Tesla about FSD, including a ballpark timeline of when service centers will receive the HW3 processors for installation into cars configured for FSD? Just wondering, because I haven’t, but this video, posted on YouTube today (4/5/2019), details this email at around the 2:23 mark. If it’s to be believed, some people may be getting their hardware upgrades “a few months prior to the release of FSD.”

Although the video doesn't admit this, I suspect they sent Tesla an email first asking about availability of FSD. And that was the email they got in response. I doubt there's a fleetwide email about FSD and HW3 going out yet.

Doesn’t make sense to do the hardware upgrade until the software is complete. Could result in even another spec bump. I would not be too anxious to get the upgrade until later this year.

There is the time factor. That is, suppose that Tesla will be ready to release software that makes meaningful use of HW3 on, say, September 1 of this year (just to pull a date out of thin air). Furthermore, suppose that "meaningful use" is something that people would really want -- like a jump from level 2 to level 4 autonomy, just to give an example (I'm not saying I think this is likely). I don't know how many FSD packages have already been sold, with HW2.5 installed, but it's bound to be in the thousands, at a minimum. Upgrading customers' computers is likely to take time, and if Tesla announces upgrades over several weeks (or worse, months) after the new FSD software becomes available, then Tesla will have a lot of unhappy customers on their hands. They'll also need to devote service resources to the updates, which could cause problems providing other services (routine maintenance, repairs, etc.). If they have the HW3 computers starting next month, say, then they could begin installing them before the software is available. Tesla will then be able to schedule the installations for slow periods at the service centers, and when the software rolls out in September, most of the customers who've already bought FSD packages will be able to begin using it immediately. Thus, installing the hardware early -- maybe months before it provides benefits to owners -- would make for a smoother rollout of the HW3-requiring software, with less griping on forums and negative press ("Tesla's New Software Isn't Usable on Most Cars").

Of course, all of the preceding is based on a number of premises that might not be correct -- that the HW3 computers will be ready in sufficient quantity well before the software will be available; that the first features to take advantage of that hardware will be impressive enough that people will desperately want it; that it really will take weeks, at a minimum, to upgrade the computers on eligible cars; that Tesla is organized enough to have thought this all through; and that Tesla cares enough about customer satisfaction to want to avoid annoying customers for a few weeks as they schedule all the installations. If any one of those is not true, then it becomes more likely that most upgrades will occur after the HW3-using FSD features become available. Musk's tweet also suggests that Tesla is planning a late rollout of the hardware upgrades. I'm simply pointing out that there is a plausible reason to do the hardware upgrades sooner rather than later; but I'm not saying I expect this will be the case.

Has anyone received an email from Tesla about FSD,
including a ballpark timeline of when service centers will receive the HW3 processors for installation into cars configured for FSD?
Just wondering, because I haven’t, but this video, posted on YouTube today (4/5/2019),
details this email at around the 2:23 mark.
If it’s to be believed, some people may be getting their hardware upgrades “a few months prior to the release of FSD.”
May be there will be some interesting announcements soon:

Tesla To Host Autonomy Investor Day
Tesla To Host Autonomy Investor Day (Update)

Autonomy Investor Day to April 22nd.
The event will still be held at Tesla Headquarters in Palo Alto.
The event will be webcast. Additional details forthcoming.

In the video at 2:27, the email says they are planning to release FSD features this year. This sounds correct to me because some buyers in Germany received a document from Tesla that also said they will release the main FSD features by the end of 2019 or Tesla will refund €5,200. See the tweet here. Therefore I think retrofits will happen this year. My best guess is, it will start in August 2019.

Although the video doesn't admit this, I suspect they sent Tesla an email first asking about availability of FSD. And that was the email they got in response. I doubt there's a fleetwide email about FSD and HW3 going out yet.
Ah, I think you’re 100% right. This was the first time I had seen something so specific about the timeline of the HW3 roll out, so it got my hopes up, but since individual customer support staff have been known to say rogue things, a healthy skepticism is probably warranted.

Reactions: C141medic
I left a comment for the YouTuber that made that video, asking whether they had emailed Tesla first, and they replied:

“We have emailed customer service several times but haven’t received a response. This was an email that did not show it was a response to anything, but honestly, we just don’t know. ???”

But looking back at the screen shot of the email, it clearly says it’s coming from Tesla Customer Support, and has the [ref:_xxxx] stuff redacted at the top and bottom, that indicates they are writing back to a customer’s inquiry. And that’s also not how official announcement emails from Tesla are formatted. @novox77 nailed it.

Reactions: dragonxt
I left a comment for the YouTuber that made that video, asking whether they had emailed Tesla first, and they replied:

“We have emailed customer service several times but haven’t received a response. This was an email that did not show it was a response to anything, but honestly, we just don’t know. ???”

But looking back at the screen shot of the email, it clearly says it’s coming from Tesla Customer Support, and has the [ref:_xxxx] stuff redacted at the top and bottom, that indicates they are writing back to a customer’s inquiry. And that’s also not how official announcement emails from Tesla are formatted. @novox77 nailed it.

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me.

I can't say I'm seeing any reason to fault the video.
Or a reason to say the email contents is anything we don't already know.

The important thing about the email is it considers FSD to be a single release, and we know that's really not the case. It's going to be series of releases adding things.

I'm hoping that we'll get more details on April 22nd during that autonomy investor day thing.

For now it looks like we'll get the HW3 upgrade later this year when Tesla is releasing features for it, and this lines up with Elon's Tweet.

Doesn’t make sense to do the hardware upgrade until the software is complete. Could result in even another spec bump. I would not be too anxious to get the upgrade until later this year.

This is Tesla we're talking about so the idea of completion is out the window.

But, your timeline of the end of the year is probably correct.

At least sometime between August and Dec.

Tesla will hold off at least until the first feature for it is released, and then they'll start upgrading vehicles.

I believe there are some accounting advantages to it, and it's going to convince people without it to upgrade. That upgrade is going to be pretty profitable especially when compared to the $2K deal they offered a month ago.

We might not see that $2K deal (from EAP) for awhile.

This is Tesla we're talking about so the idea of completion is out the window.

But, your timeline of the end of the year is probably correct.

At least sometime between August and Dec.

Tesla will hold off at least until the first feature for it is released, and then they'll start upgrading vehicles.

I believe there are some accounting advantages to it, and it's going to convince people without it to upgrade. That upgrade is going to be pretty profitable especially when compared to the $2K deal they offered a month ago.

We might not see that $2K deal (from EAP) for awhile.

I would also not be shocked to see them pull shenanigans like incentivizing upgrading once the features start happening by it including priority for the upgrade. Tesla doesn't seem to be able to resist messing with the folks who already paid for it.

In the video at 2:27, the email says they are planning to release FSD features this year. This sounds correct to me because some buyers in Germany received a document from Tesla that also said they will release the main FSD features by the end of 2019 or Tesla will refund €5,200. See the tweet here. Therefore I think retrofits will happen this year. My best guess is, it will start in August 2019.

They aren't going to release real FSD this year. At most it will be some level 2 driving aids that they claim are "FSD" in order to avoid being forced to offer refunds. Consumer laws in Germany mean they can't string people along for years on something they already paid for.

Besides which the law in Germany doesn't even allow level 3 autonomy, let alone what Tesla sold people.

Elon has now confirmed what I said in my messages above and what the email in the opening message says at 2:27 in the video. Tesla is planning to release FSD features later this year and they plan to start retrofits at the same time.

Wgo7fWr.png

Elon Musk on Twitter

Both the email in the opening message and the tweet I linked are talking about (1) FSD features that will be released later this year and (2) FSD features not available in EAP. An example would be Automated City Driving.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia