Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Exiting Passing Lane is Driving Me Insane (Pun Intended)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: I have "No" selected on "Exit Passing Lane".

Here in Washington State, there really is no such thing as a "passing lane". The 2-3 most right lanes are reserved for folks who want to drive under the speed limit. The left lane is there for anyone who wants to drive the speed limit or slightly above. Its annoying but it is the way it is.

FSD will not let me stay in the left lane. Every time I start FSD, it automatically tries to put me in middle lane. Even if I'm driving up I-5 with 7 miles to go before exit. I just end up clicking "cancel" every 2 seconds. It honestly makes FSD not worth it and unusable, and results in me just keeping it in autopilot.

Is this something everyone deals with or am I doing something wrong?!

Reactions: devobail
When Navigate on Autopilot repeatedly nags me to do something I don't want to do, I just disable it for a while and use regular Autosteer. I don't know if you're talking about FSD Beta, but I don't have that. That said, when NoA wants me to move out of the passing lane, it never asks more than once. The only time NoA repeatedly nags me about a lane change is when it thinks I need to make that change to follow the route (sometimes it's wrong).

With NOA you can disable that "feature" (which drives me nuts too); I have the FSD beta and it *really* likes to change lanes a lot (usually to the lane furthest away from the next turn coming up so it can cleanly miss the turn). In FSD beta there is an 'aggression' setting which claims it will change lanes less when set to 'chill' (mine is set to aggressive so it won't sit there stupidly for a minute at every turn).

• Funny
Reactions: RowdyMY

Here in Washington State, there really is no such thing as a "passing lane". The 2-3 most right lanes are reserved for folks who want to drive under the speed limit. The left lane is there for anyone who wants to drive the speed limit or slightly above. Its annoying but it is the way it is.

FSD will not let me stay in the left lane. Every time I start FSD, it automatically tries to put me in middle lane. Even if I'm driving up I-5 with 7 miles to go before exit. I just end up clicking "cancel" every 2 seconds. It honestly makes FSD not worth it and unusable, and results in me just keeping it in autopilot.

Is it specifically saying its exiting the passing lane or are you seeing it refuse to acknowledge the passing lane even exists?

I ask because I observed the same behavior where no matter how many times I tried or what the speed setting was I kept getting shoved out of the left lane in one specific section of I5.

As to the passing lane we really do have a passing lane, but it suffers from a minority of people messing it up for the rest of us. There is a also a lot of difference in driving behavior as you go down I5. Before you get to a hell hole called Tacoma you'll see people speed way up which is really bizarre as once you get to Tacoma it all comes to a crawl.

In my experience the left lane (but, not HOV lane) is the crazy person lane that does over >10mph, the next lane over is the lane for normal drivers (5-10 over). and the right lane is for slow vehicles. The middle lane becomes saturated, and there is always an idiot in the left lane going the speed limit. This results in people going drastically over the speed limit in the right lane trying to pass everyone.

It's bad enough to make a person want to move to Germany.

Here in Washington State, there really is no such thing as a "passing lane". The 2-3 most right lanes are reserved for folks who want to drive under the speed limit. The left lane is there for anyone who wants to drive the speed limit or slightly above.
Really ... which rule ?

ps : Hmmmm .... :D :D :D

RCW 46.61.100

Keep right except when passing, etc.​

(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

There is a Map database problem on many highways here in Western Washington involving HOV lanes. The Map database seems to frequently think the left-most general-traffic lane is an HOV lane. This is true on I-405 N and in other places, even some places on I-5.

The work-around is to enable use of HOV lanes in Autopilot. You will be able to use the left-most general traffic lane in NoA and not get kicked out. I’ve complained about this in the past without any apparent fix.

BTW, the “fast” lane in WA is the far right lane. Everybody crowds into the left lanes and slows them to a crawl. It’s been that way for years.

I don't know who needs to hear this or if it was intended as just casual nonsense, but that's not true at all. Washington's law on this is entirely conventional and matches the way everyone else in the country drives. Keep right, except to pass. RCW 46.61.100: Keep right except when passing, etc.

I don't know who needs to hear this or if it was intended as just casual nonsense, but that's not true at all. Washington's law on this is entirely conventional and matches the way everyone else in the country drives. Keep right, except to pass. RCW 46.61.100: Keep right except when passing, etc.
I took it to mean the reality of how the situation actually existed, and not the law.

I've driven to many states, and no state is worse than WA when it comes to people hanging out in the passing lane completely oblivious. It's kinda funny because we also seem to have more "keep right except to pass" signs than anyone else, and yet people still do it.

Reactions: Sporty
I took it to mean the reality of how the situation actually existed, and not the law.

I've driven to many states, and no state is worse than WA when it comes to people hanging out in the passing lane completely oblivious. It's kinda funny because we also seem to have more "keep right except to pass" signs than anyone else, and yet people still do it.
Indeed, WA drivers love the left lanes regardless of the law. That’s why I said the right lane is the fast lane here.

Reactions: Sporty
In GA it is illegal to drive in the left lane if someone has to pass you on the right.

(2) On roads, streets, or highways with two or more lanes allowing for movement in the same direction, no person shall continue to operate a motor vehicle in the most left-hand lane at less than the maximum lawful speed limit once such person knows or should reasonably know that he is being overtaken in such lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed, except when such motor vehicle is preparing for a left turn.

Jesus I was being facetious. Washington state does have pass lanes but everyone drives like a grandma

There is a Map database problem on many highways here in Western Washington involving HOV lanes. The Map database seems to frequently think the left-most general-traffic lane is an HOV lane. This is true on I-405 N and in other places, even some places on I-5.

The work-around is to enable use of HOV lanes in Autopilot. You will be able to use the left-most general traffic lane in NoA and not get kicked out. I’ve complained about this in the past without any apparent fix.

BTW, the “fast” lane in WA is the far right lane. Everybody crowds into the left lanes and slows them to a crawl. It’s been that way for years.
Thank you. Apparently you were the only one on this thread that didn't make my note literally. Everyone crowds the left lane and when the left lane is going the same speed as the right lane, it effectively defeats the purpose of the passing lane.

Curious though, this seems to happen most on I-5. It wont let me stay in the HOV lane and even when my destination is 7+ miles ahead it wants me to sit in the middle lane. I have played around with all sorts of aggression settings and speed based lane changes and have had no success. It just always wants me to keep right.

When Navigate on Autopilot repeatedly nags me to do something I don't want to do, I just disable it for a while and use regular Autosteer. I don't know if you're talking about FSD Beta, but I don't have that. That said, when NoA wants me to move out of the passing lane, it never asks more than once. The only time NoA repeatedly nags me about a lane change is when it thinks I need to make that change to follow the route (sometimes it's wrong).
I do this to. I frequently find myself switching to autopilot on the freeway. It just sucks because we are effectively disabling the very feature we paid for simply because its a pain in the a$$

Is it specifically saying its exiting the passing lane or are you seeing it refuse to acknowledge the passing lane even exists?

I ask because I observed the same behavior where no matter how many times I tried or what the speed setting was I kept getting shoved out of the left lane in one specific section of I5.

As to the passing lane we really do have a passing lane, but it suffers from a minority of people messing it up for the rest of us. There is a also a lot of difference in driving behavior as you go down I5. Before you get to a hell hole called Tacoma you'll see people speed way up which is really bizarre as once you get to Tacoma it all comes to a crawl.

In my experience the left lane (but, not HOV lane) is the crazy person lane that does over >10mph, the next lane over is the lane for normal drivers (5-10 over). and the right lane is for slow vehicles. The middle lane becomes saturated, and there is always an idiot in the left lane going the speed limit. This results in people going drastically over the speed limit in the right lane trying to pass everyone.

It's bad enough to make a person want to move to Germany.
Often times on I-5 or I-90 I am in either the HOV lane or the left lane. Almost every time it tries to put me in the middle lane (which usually consists of people driving UNDER the speed limit here in WA state). I have experienced it trying to get me out of this lane even on long road trips where I am not exiting for miles, which is infuriating and I end up just going into autopilot. My girlfriend asks me what the point of even having NOA enabled every time this happens and I shake my head and think about the 10k I spent on it.,

My girlfriend asks me what the point of even having NOA enabled every time this happens and I shake my head and think about the 10k I spent on it.,
I think I'm going to add to that query...

I mean basically what you're saying is that the only reason you turn NOA is because you spent $10K on it, so you feel the need to turn it on to justify the spend? It's not like the $10K only got you NOA. Hopefully you'll eventually get a lot more for that $10K than just navigate on autopilot, but even now you at least are getting the the ability to do auto lane changes (manually initiated). The fact that you don't like NOA's behavior and you would prefer to simply go hang out in the left lane anyway means you aren't really using NOA's capabilities anyway, so just turn it off and don't feel bad about it.

Another option would be to turn on lane change confirmation, meaning NOA will suggest to you that it wants to change lanes but won't actually do anything until you confirm with the turn signal stalk. To me this doesn't seem a whole lot different than just disabling NOA, but I suppose one difference is that if you aren't paying attention you may not realize that you are stuck behind a slow moving car.

At the end of the day though, I think people like you need to be a bit more willing to accept the fact that if you want to let the car drive for you (even in its current "oversight required" mode, you have to let the car drive for you. Just like when I ride along with my wife and she has a different driving style than me, I'm not allowed to tell her how to drive. My choices are to let her do it her way, or I can take over and drive myself. You have the same choice in your car. Yeah, if you are not willing to accept the car's driving style, maybe buying FSD was not a wise spend. Believe me, when it's actually Full Self Driving, it will probably annoy you even more because at the point where it no longer requires driving monitoring (and presumably Tesla accepts responsibility for the car's driving behavior), it will certainly never exceed the speed limit and be very conservative in its driving style.

I will say this though. NOA obviously does know how to pass, and will do so if there are cars in the middle and right lanes to pass. So what do you care if it changes lanes repeatedly to pass those cars? There are a few valid responses to this question: 1) It's not aggressive enough in getting into the passing lane and gets "stuck" in the non-passing lane; 2) It takes too long to initiate a lane change into the passing lane and winds up having to slow down as it approaches a slower car ahead. Of those two, I think the first is usually the most applicable. The car usually (but not always) does a good job of anticipating a slower moving car ahead and starts the lane change process even before I would think to do so. So I think it's fair game to criticize Tesla on these items. But to expect NOA to go against what is not only common courtesy, but also the law in many areas (even if there is a setting that appears to direct it to do so), doesn't seem reasonable to me.

you have to let the car drive for you
That's pretty much exactly it. Complaints about AP generally fit into two buckets: "The Car Did Something Wrong", and "The Car Failed to Drive Like Me". Folks looking for the latter are basically always going to be disappointed. If you want total control over the driving style... you really just want to be driving the car. Don't back-seat-drive the AP, it's a computer and it doesn't care about your feelings.

Reactions: Phlier

You might also want to alter the agression level for speed-based lane changes. NoA will tend to move over when traffic is moving slower than your set speed.

Reactions: JJbell