Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Exiting Passing Lane is Driving Me Insane (Pun Intended)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really ... which rule ?

ps : Hmmmm .... :D :D :D

RCW 46.61.100

Keep right except when passing, etc.​

(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;
Ya.. no one obeys that and it’s not enforced. I routinely pass on the right in this state.

Reactions: Padelford
I took it to mean the reality of how the situation actually existed, and not the law.

I've driven to many states, and no state is worse than WA when it comes to people hanging out in the passing lane completely oblivious. It's kinda funny because we also seem to have more "keep right except to pass" signs than anyone else, and yet people still do it.
I think they think it’s their civic duty to keep others from going over the speed limit. There can be 2 or 3 cars on the road and they completely manage to block the road. It’s seems more then oblivious sometimes.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Often times on I-5 or I-90 I am in either the HOV lane or the left lane. Almost every time it tries to put me in the middle lane (which usually consists of people driving UNDER the speed limit here in WA state). I have experienced it trying to get me out of this lane even on long road trips where I am not exiting for miles, which is infuriating and I end up just going into autopilot. My girlfriend asks me what the point of even having NOA enabled every time this happens and I shake my head and think about the 10k I spent on it.,
It makes terrible lane change decisions sometimes and I routinely turn off the navigate feature and let it follow the lane. The ‘cancel’ button is worthless.. It stops the car if trying to change lanes .. for like 2 whole seconds. It has to be turned off at times.

Reactions: JJbell
With NOA you can disable that "feature" (which drives me nuts too); I have the FSD beta and it *really* likes to change lanes a lot (usually to the lane furthest away from the next turn coming up so it can cleanly miss the turn). In FSD beta there is an 'aggression' setting which claims it will change lanes less when set to 'chill' (mine is set to aggressive so it won't sit there stupidly for a minute at every turn).
This TBH.
Oddly enough though: I switched to chill after i got the beta and the first thing it did was a rolling stop.. so I never tried the other modes until today. I switched to "assertive" and I feel like the lane changing is not quiet as bad. Granted it may have been traffic & time of day related but it was fine staying in the left most/middle lane. I hope a lot of this will get better with the single stack version. Most major roads here in Raleigh aren't controlled access roads like highways but other than that they are driven more like highways (physical median, turn lanes etc).

That's pretty much exactly it. Complaints about AP generally fit into two buckets: "The Car Did Something Wrong", and "The Car Failed to Drive Like Me". Folks looking for the latter are basically always going to be disappointed. If you want total control over the driving style... you really just want to be driving the car. Don't back-seat-drive the AP, it's a computer and it doesn't care about your feelings.

In this case its clear that its the first bucket because it has the "don't get out of the passing lane" selected. Personally I think its a mapping issue.

As to the second bucket I think we often have more control over the driving style then we think we do.

When I drove my mom places I adjusted my driving style
When I drove for the Safety Score I adjusted my driving style
When I go on a road trip I adjust my driving style for the environment I'm in

If the car can't adjust its driving style to suit the passenger than its not going to be successful.

If the car can't adjust its driving style to suit the passenger than its not going to be successful.
Does your Uber driver magically know how to adjust her driving style to suit your needs? I don't know that's true at all. Again, I just repeat that if you want that you'll inevitably be disappointed. You want to be driving, you aren't looking to be a passenger.

Disclaimer: I have "No" selected on "Exit Passing Lane".

Here in Washington State, there really is no such thing as a "passing lane". The 2-3 most right lanes are reserved for folks who want to drive under the speed limit. The left lane is there for anyone who wants to drive the speed limit or slightly above. Its annoying but it is the way it is.

FSD will not let me stay in the left lane. Every time I start FSD, it automatically tries to put me in middle lane. Even if I'm driving up I-5 with 7 miles to go before exit. I just end up clicking "cancel" every 2 seconds. It honestly makes FSD not worth it and unusable, and results in me just keeping it in autopilot.

Is this something everyone deals with or am I doing something wrong?!

This is another reason why I wish they had an option for request lane change confirmation.

For anyone who likes it the way it is can simply decide to not use that option.

Another option I wish they had was an option to get out of the way from fast approaching traffic in the rear. This is essentially what humans do. Sometimes if I drive just 2-5mph faster than traffic on the right lane, I may stay in the left lane a bit longer but if I see another car approach me from the rear, I move over so they can pass me.

I don't know who needs to hear this or if it was intended as just casual nonsense, but that's not true at all. Washington's law on this is entirely conventional and matches the way everyone else in the country drives. Keep right, except to pass. RCW 46.61.100: Keep right except when passing, etc.
I think you missed an important part of that law:
(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.
So if the left lane is flowing faster than the next lane over to the right, you're under no obligation to get out of it, which is consistent with this behavior:
The 2-3 most right lanes are reserved for folks who want to drive under the speed limit. The left lane is there for anyone who wants to drive the speed limit or slightly above.
I mean, to be fair, the right lanes aren't actually reserved, but I'm assuming that wasn't meant literally. :)

This is another reason why I wish they had an option for request lane change confirmation.

For anyone who likes it the way it is can simply decide to not use that option.

Another option I wish they had was an option to get out of the way from fast approaching traffic in the rear. This is essentially what humans do. Sometimes if I drive just 2-5mph faster than traffic on the right lane, I may stay in the left lane a bit longer but if I see another car approach me from the rear, I move over so they can pass me.
I take it there's no "Drive likes a sensible human" checkbox yet?

I am having the opposite problem. On the interstate or multi lane roads my FSD want to constantly change into the far left lane and stay there. This happens even if I am going the speed limit and no cars in the lane in front of me.
Check your Autopilot/Nav settings to see if “Use HOV Lane” is enabled. Or, the Nav maps for your area may have the roads mid-labeled if you have Use HOV lanes off.

I took it to mean the reality of how the situation actually existed, and not the law.

I've driven to many states, and no state is worse than WA when it comes to people hanging out in the passing lane completely oblivious. It's kinda funny because we also seem to have more "keep right except to pass" signs than anyone else, and yet people still do it.
If you think only people in WA drive slow in the passing lane, take a look at NYC suburbs, on the Long Island Expressway or the Southern State Parkway. I usually find those entitled people in limos, Mercedes, BMWs drive slow in those lanes on purpose; they want no other car in front of them so they can just cruise smoothly down the road.

Reactions: JJbell