Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD fails to detect children in the road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to do some research because I didn’t know what occupancy was..
It’s all very interesting...layering data on top of data...but I couldn’t help feeling that the car would have past the object before all the calculations finished

...but I couldn’t help feeling that the car would have past the object before all the calculations finished
images

I had to do some research because I didn’t know what occupancy was..
It’s all very interesting...layering data on top of data...but I couldn’t help feeling that the car would have past the object before all the calculations finished
It actually is computationally very efficient (much more efficient than the previous network). It runs at 100fps (or 10ms per update). That's much faster than humans at 300-600ms.
What this network is tasked with doing is simpler than the previous, it only needs to determine if the space is occupied or not (instead of identifying what object it is).

Of course there is other code on top that will add delay and car likely does not directly brake for every obstacle the occupancy network identifies (occupancy network is only one variable in the decision to brake or not). Being a L2 system, it likely would err on the side avoiding false positives (things like plastic bags, road debris, etc that car may be able to safely drive over and decision is left up to human if it is necessary to brake).

Reactions: CyberGus
I see roughly 5 steps a second on start? That's for fast kids. Tough, fast kid, you will have to watch out for Teslas on Autopilot and the driver is not paying attention.;) I see the driver on the video noticed the kid almost 2 seconds ahead and standing still with no leg movements. I wonder if the Tesla will notice the kid with leg movements. A test should be done with the kid moving its legs away from the lane and see how far away the Tesla noticed him.

Excellent results in ADAS and crash tests from EuroNCAP on -22 Model S. These are real tests comparable to a lot of new cars. This might be one of the better ADAS results ever seen I think.
I only wondered if this Model S could accelerate to pass pedestrians and cyclists jumping out on the road in front of it instead of slowing down...

Dan Dowdy needs to see this
As others have pointed out, it is easy to pass tests when you know the questions in advance.

It’s when you don’t know the questions that it gets harder - at that point standardized safety test performance may correlate with real-world results, but it is not assured.

This is Dan O’Dowd’s secret superpower.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan D.
As others have pointed out, it is easy to past tests when you know the questions in advance.

It’s when you don’t know the questions that it gets harder - at that point standardized safety test performance may correlate with real-world results, but it is not assured.

This is Dan O’Dowd’s secret superpower.
Good. Might just show up at his door and sit in for dinner without an invitation or calling him. Let’s see how well he feeds me.

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz
DoD* is focused on FSD Beta (in his opinion this sofware is dangerous). He's probably fine with software that doesn't hit things. Euro NCAP doesn't say anything about FSD Beta.

*no relation to @Dan D.
Even I, one of the staunchest defenders of Dan O’Dowd’s right to construct contrived special cases (not to be confused with corner cases; these contrived cases would be quite common) to demonstrate the weaknesses of Tesla’s systems, would not go so far as to say that Dan “is probably fine” with the rest of Tesla’s software.

He would 💩 on it, with the least provocation.