TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FSD features to start rolling out in August...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by drawfour, Jun 10, 2018.

1. drawfour

drawfour Member

#1 drawfour, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2018
    Didn't see a thread started yet (though I only check Model 3 forums, not the S/X ones)...

From Elon: Elon Musk on Twitter
    That issue is better in latest Autopilot software rolling out now & fully fixed in August update as part of our long-awaited Tesla Version 9. To date, Autopilot resources have rightly focused entirely on safety. With V9, we will begin to enable full self-driving features.
    Click to expand...​
    The specific issue he was talking about was lane merging. But he said that V9 will start rolling out in August and includes from FSD features...

• Like x 2
  2. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Elon really wants to f the shorts squeezing an extra 5000 from every Tesla made since late 2016.

Question is will the price go up later..

3. drawfour

drawfour Member

This isn't EAP, this is FSD he's talking about. Isn't that only $3k (+$1k "penalty")?

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

5. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

Elon time, folks, Elon time.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  6. Kuhz

Kuhz Member

Which August ;)

• Funny x 11
    • Like x 3
  7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yeah, we said all this in the other thread... :D

8. drawfour

drawfour Member

9. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Yes 3K then or 4K now. I knew the number so weird memory lapse!

What’s the first feature going to be??

10. drawfour

drawfour Member

He didn't say. I hope we get a sneak peak. I haven't been invited yet, but I should be soon (Apr 1 online), though I want the AWD. Be nice if by the time I can order it, I hear about some FSD features. So far, I've not planned on getting it, but who knows. :)

11. Kane 317

Kane 317 New Member

You think we'll finally get Summon for the Model 3 with this update?

12. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

Didn't he just make reference to v8.2 and 8.3 on May 30 as coming in a few months?

Elon Musk on Twitter

13. R.S

R.S Active Member

He said with V9 they will start to roll out FSD features. That only means that by V10 we will have some FSD features, not that the introduction of V9 will bring FSD features immediately.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. sitter_k

sitter_k Active Member

Elon says a lot of things.
    Where's my AWD configurator?!

• Like x 1
  15. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

#15 RubberToe, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Just love it when journalists don't bother to at least understand what they are reporting on...

[​IMG]

Same article shows a picture too, surely to ease the minds of all readers...

[​IMG]

• Funny x 9
    • Like x 1
  16. daniel

daniel Active Member

What does he mean by "full self driving" features? Either the car is FSD or it isn't. It already has some self-driving features in EAP: It can control its speed and it can steer within its lane and it can change lanes on the freeway.

What features will the car have for those who paid for FSD that EAP cars won't have? To my way of thinking the car does not have FSD features until you can take your hands off the wheel and close your eyes. But maybe there are features that Tesla will group into the FSD category (i.e. for people who paid the extra money). Features that will not make the car FSD but that Tesla will withhold from EAP cars.

IOW, there's Full Self Driving, for which they're not going to get regulatory approval any time soon, and there's the package of features that Tesla will call "FSD" even though they do not make the car an FSD car.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 2
  17. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

I believe examples of FSD features include stopping for stop signs or red lights and making left or right hand turns on surface streets. These sorts of things are not part of EAP but will be needed for self-driving.

• Like x 4
  18. Eldanon

Eldanon New Member

That's just plain silly... you think they'll just flip a switch at some point and BOOM your car is immediately FSD? Surely they'll slowly be adding functionality over a period of time (I'm guessing years). If I were to guess I'd say they'll start with the car being able to see speed limit signs, perhaps stop at traffic lights and start going again on green, stop at stop signs, stop for pedestrians, see school zone signs, etc etc. In pieces. It won't go from NO FSD to FULL FSD overnight.

• Like x 5
  19. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

More detailed view of all vehicles surrounding the car. Showing cars on either side, as well as behind you. This would probably be a prelude to the use of such information as detailed below. All the cameras, sensors and processing power are there, just a matter of the software presenting this information on the display.

This would enable FSD equipped cars to possibly also change lanes automatically on the freeway without the driver having to use a turn signal. This seems like one of the lower hanging fruit in the FSD world. I would imagine that in order to be safe, these early FSD features might be geofenced to only work on actual freeways.

Makes me happy I checked the $3,000 FSD box when ordering. Good thing I drank that extra glass of wine before making that decision...

RT

• Like x 3
  20. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Don’t be dense and keep up.

Everyone - even non Tesla owners know what is being discussed.

A feature, some feature describe in the $3000 checkbox is getting activated.

• Like x 1