Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD firmware versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a strange question about my car and FSD. I bought my car with FSD and I am on software version 2022.28.2.
On the Stats App it says this version is a non FSD version however I have FSD and have used it.
TeslaFi also doesn’t really show it as FSD firmware.

Do I or should I talk to Tesla? I know on the property screen in the car it says I have FSD enabled.

Attachments

• PNG image.png
    PNG image.png
    127 KB · Views: 265
You may have FSD but not FSD beta (what you see in all those youtube videos). The current FSD beta version is 2022.20.17. If you're not in the beta program, then you can have FSD and be on the regular software version - which I think 2022.28.2 is the latest (I'm not sure because I'm in the beta program and running 2022.20.17).

Reactions: shamelin73
Upvote 0
So confusing guess I will just drive and enjoy the car lol.
Is the beta any better then say what I have?
I think you might be confusing that you have FSD "CAPABILITY" on your car, but you don't yet actually have the FSD beta software loaded. So yes, the beta software has more capability that your version 28.2. Have you actually requested in the car to be a part of the FSD program?

Upvote 0
No not that I know of. I did buy the FSD package. I have seen the request the beta button but I have not done it.
From what I hear the beta works off of tge safety score where as what I have now just works.

Am I wrong in thinking this. I know what I have now is beta too but the actual beta one is better?

Sorry I am new to this car and not had a Tesla before. I have only been in it since 9/9/2022

Upvote 0
What you have is likely just the Traffic aware cruise control and simple navigation. You have to use the button to request to be in the beta and THEN you will see the safety score on your app. At some point later on this year or next, you will probably get the software when it goes wide to all FSD, but I would not bank on that happening soon. If you want to try it sooner then you need to opt into the beta program and then keep a reasonably decent safety score.

Upvote 0
Thank you

It seems to drive me places that I want to go now. I just don't have the safety score thing. I know both are really in beta. The blue lines are usually a single line in the Dallas area but out in East Texas, it's just the double blue lines on the edge of the road. If this matters.

I guess I can try the beta request to see what happens.

Upvote 0
Thank you

It seems to drive me places that I want to go now. I just don't have the safety score thing. I know both are really in beta. The blue lines are usually a single line in the Dallas area but out in East Texas, it's just the double blue lines on the edge of the road. If this matters.

So - if you put in a destination then double-push on the right-hand stalk, does the car drive itself to your destination, on city streets? If so you have the full FSD suite. If not, you have FSD but not the 'Autosteer on City Streets' (commonly known as the 'beta') functionality. Those of us that decide to buy or subscribe to FSD after purchase (like myself) have to buy/subscribe at which point we receive various FSD components (Smart Summon, Traffic Light Control, Auto Lane Changes, Highway Navigation) but NOT the ability to navigate to a destination via surface roads (i.e., non-highway) - the 'beta'. We have to specifically request to be included in the beta test, then have to have a Safety Score above 80, then drive 100 miles using AutoPilot within 30 days and THEN we MAY get it (depending on our firmware level).....

Upvote 0
Copy

Lol I am not sure what I have then. I know I have smart summon and auto park. It suggests when to change lanes all I have to do it do the turn signal.

I actually have not tried the city streets but have had it take exits and stop at lights. Has done very well in 5 o’clock traffic freeways.

I just hit the request beta for the heck of it. Not sure why you would have to request it if you buy it.

Upvote 0
Not sure why you would have to request it if you buy it
I believe officially, the "early access beta" is not part of what you bought but a special program to try out city streets driving before wide release and happens to require participants to have subscribed or purchased FSD Capability. The main difference is that FSD Beta will make turns and switch lanes (and drive much better) on city streets. It's getting towards the end of "early access" where earlier versions were much more likely to do really silly things like drive into oncoming traffic (which not-FSD-Beta Autopilot is likely to do even for "simple" intersections, so be extra careful if you're using the current version on city streets).

Upvote 0
...the actual beta one is better?...
The "better" in FSD beta means it gives you more features.

A plain Autopilot cannot do summon but paying $15,000 for the additional feature of summon is questionable because summon still collides with obstacles and damages your tires.

Your FSD cannot choose a lane to turn at an intersection. FSD beta can. That's an additional feature.

But whether that feature is better is questionable because it can choose the wrong lane. For example, the Navigation says to turn right, and FSD beta chooses the left turn-only lane. Forbes has a picture of the old FSD beta.

Forbes is not the only one, Clean Technica also:

I still experience the wrong lane problem with my latest 10.69.2.2.

Your FSD can stop at most stop signs, but it would blow through a specific few. That is not solved in FSD beta either.

FSD beta can do more tasks but whether doing those tasks poorly is better is another issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you

Safety Score is no longer beta. There is little to zero ambiguity between FSD Beta and production FSD, if you do not know then you you do not have the beta. Look at your app, look at your Nav screen, check your software revision on the vehicle Software Tab? Do you ever see red road boundaries in your driving visualization? Silly thread.

Upvote 0
Safety Score is no longer beta. There is little to zero ambiguity between FSD Beta and production FSD, if you do not know then you you do not have the beta. Look at your app, look at your Nav screen, check your software revision on the vehicle Software Tab? Do you ever see red road boundaries in your driving visualization? Silly thread.
Opps Safety Score is still in beta - my bad.

Upvote 0
@shamelin73

You seem to have Autopilot with generally released FSD features. This is very good on highways, especially expressways.

the FSDBeta is much more and since you bought FSD, you will get it when it is generally released ( early 2023 perhaps ?)

To participate in the beta, you have to set your Software updates to Advanced and request the FSDBeta software. You get a “Safety Score” system install on your Tesla and you’d have to be a “safe” driver in Tesla’s metrics.

There are discussions in the forum on FSDBeta, Safety Score opinions and challenges, etc.

With the most recent FSDBeta, my Tesla often scares me with its decisions and I immediately take control. It is much much improved from 2021 versions but it is still a real beta software package that need improvements.

You can watch FDSBeta videos on YouTube to see if you want to try and join the bleeding-edge crowd.

Upvote 0
I definitely just had what the car came with as in FSD.

I did not have the red lines on the roads. I have requested the beta and will home to get it soon.

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. I know this is all new to me. First Tesla and I know I will have more questions and learning a lot about the car still.

Upvote 0
I definitely just had what the car came with as in FSD.

I did not have the red lines on the roads. I have requested the beta and will home to get it soon.

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. I know this is all new to me. First Tesla and I know I will have more questions and learning a lot about the car still.
Just recognize that you won't get beta until you have at least 100 miles of driving on AutoPilot in a 30 day period and an 80+ Safety Score.

Upvote 0
Just recognize that you won't get beta until you have at least 100 miles of driving on AutoPilot in a 30 day period and an 80+ Safety Score.
Yes I have been using auto pilot a bit scary in rush hour. But I guess I scare people riding with me. For the most part I think the car does well. A bit more cautious than I would be and very heavy on the brakes compared to what I would do.

Upvote 0