Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD for 10k, is it worthwhile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried it for a month via subscription. There are features I want such as lane change with turn signal and summon. I went back and added it and rolled it into a refinance of the car. It does provide about 6 out of 7 things promised by FSD (no city streets; big whoop). It's is not as reliable and as smooth( think being afraid of your shadow and phantom braking) as my 2016 MS Mobileye version.
Would I do it again? Yes, simply because I think it makes highway driving more enjoyable and I use the summon regularly because I tend to back into spots (at Costco, eg) and I use summon to pull forward to throw stuff in the back and I have (rarely) been forced to use summon to park in an otherwise unusable spot (flooded). For $10K, you say? Well, yes, because it makes both cars very similar for what they do. And honestly, I don't care about navigate on city streets.

Reactions: jabloomf1230
Maybe buy it when it works. You have to stay so alert now, it is easier to drive with FSD off. It is a toy that I play with when I can, but it is not ready for prime time yet. I wouldn't use it at all, but I have the advanced beta FSD to play with which makes it more interesting when I have the time. You have to opt-in and pass a safety score to possibly get that version. The FSD beta delivered with the car is not good, at least on Kentucky roads.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I have some of the same issues with FSD as I do when someone else is driving my Tesla.

For some, it is simply a control issus. When someone else is driving your Tesla you consiously or sub-consiously compare them driving to what you would be doing in the same circumstances. They might be following too close, not staying in the center of the lane, not being aware of other vehicles, driving too fast or too slowly.

Believe this is similar to observing how FSD drives your car. Subject to constant back seat driving, concerns that the other party does not drive as well as you, is not aware of everything you are aware of, etc.

See the same things with auto park. Owner is constantly worrying that FSD will hit the bumper of another car, curb a tire, or not park precisely as they would have done.

I have some of the same issues with FSD as I do when someone else is driving my Tesla.

For some, it is simply a control issus. When someone else is driving your Tesla you consiously or sub-consiously compare them driving to what you would be doing in the same circumstances. They might be following too close, not staying in the center of the lane, not being aware of other vehicles, driving too fast or too slowly.

Believe this is similar to observing how FSD drives your car. Subject to constant back seat driving, concerns that the other party does not drive as well as you, is not aware of everything you are aware of, etc.

See the same things with auto park. Owner is constantly worrying that FSD will hit the bumper of another car, curb a tire, or not park precisely as they would have done.
When the car slams on the brakes every 10 miles for no reason, or constantly changes lanes into the left lane with no other traffic around and for no reason, it is more than a control issue. The product is not good or safe unless you are always back seat driving it.

I enjoy it for my longer trips. One of the benefits to purchasing the full is if there's an upgrade to the hardware needed in the future it's included. That being said... If you don't do a lot of highway trips it's probably not worth it at this time. If you do it's great to have. Overall I'm not unhappy with my purchase of it when I bought the car.

I do find summon to be nice when I didn't quite park forward enough in a spot and I open the app and have it park a little further up. Hah. That's the only good feature of summon right now. Reverse summon is gonna be awesome if it ever comes out.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I think the OP is in a position to purchase it for $10k, that's the question. The price will go to $12k if purchased after delivery.

My opinion is: no, don't buy it. It's like making a $10k investment in Tesla, but with no obvious potential for returns. Better off buying TSLA.

Alternatively, at $200 per month to subscribe to FSD, this is like prepaying for 4 years of it (albeit with a better resale value).

I think Tesla is still on the wrong path for autonomous driving. The car is great, but you likely won't own it anymore by the time they actually get FSD working.

I'd let a Waymo drive for me, but not a Tesla.