Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD for 10k, is it worthwhile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mercedes has L3 to 40mph on many highways in Germany and is awaiting future US approval. Mercedes assumes full legal responsibility if the vehicle crashes with L3 engaged. The first car to not require any driver attention. How is it that the gen pop thinks Tesla is so advanced with self-driving, when Mercedes clearly leads all manufacturers? Brilliant marketing.....er, I should say tweeting. I can't even use my Tesla cruise control without it constantly slamming on the brakes when it thinks an overpass is another vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: El joe and 2101Guy
Watching The Dropout now...
Elon's FSD shares a lot of characteristics with Theranos.
FSD implies L5. It isn't that, it won't ever be that. Paying $$ and expecting that is a setup for disappointment. If you like what it does today and that is worth the money, then buy it. Honestly, I couldn't do even that just on principle. Watch videos and read statements from 2017. Total liar - not just aspirational.

Reactions: E90alex and 2101Guy
Watching The Dropout now...
Elon's FSD shares a lot of characteristics with Theranos.
FSD implies L5. It isn't that, it won't ever be that. Paying $$ and expecting that is a setup for disappointment. If you like what it does today and that is worth the money, then buy it. Honestly, I couldn't do even that just on principle. Watch videos and read statements from 2017. Total liar - not just aspirational.
Not just implies L5....if you read the MANY tweets from him in the past, he has openly stated that not just current, but PAST versions of FSD would perform L5 level functions. YEARS ago.

Tough to answer. Everyone has different expectations. Speaking only for myself ( I understand the people that say hell no) I love it. I bought it for 8K and at the time the money was not an issue and I wanted to be involved in the progress of Tesla. Two years later I'm in the Beta and love it way more than I ever did, so much so if I was kicked out of the program, I wouldn't buy FSD, it would be such a big step backwards a lot of my love for the car would evaporate.

I can multi task well, since my job requires it, so maybe I find the automation fairly easily. I would basically look at FSD as a very personal choice and decide for yourself. If the cash is tight, no way. If you don't love the latest tech, no way. If you expect FSD to be ready anytime soon, no way.

Reactions: Nealw98
Does anyone know if the monthly subscription payments apply as a credit towards the full cost of FSd?
No. Also, zero guarantee that the subscription price will remain as is. In fact, I think Elon said plan for it to go up.
And no, to the next question: Current subscribers will not be immune to any subscription price increase.

I did buy it on my 2020 MSLR for $7k, and enjoyed the available features while looking forward to improved features. I debated on whether it was worth it to buy again on my 2022, but in the end did buy it (I can easily afford it). It's clearly a flawed product in terms of doing what it's labeled to do, but it does make the overall driving experience just slightly better (and the driving experience is already pretty incredible).

To me, the clearly superior feature is the lane-change via turn signal. I use this every day. My wife's Model Y does not have FSD, and I always find it a pain to have to reset the auto-steer after every lane change. A first world problem for sure! I occasionally use the Summon feature also, but mostly just to show off the technology to people who are curious. Sometimes Navigate on Autopilot is useful to me, other times it's just annoying.

The $10k cost on a $100k car somehow doesn't seem as egregious as it would on a M3 or MY at $60k...

I bought it for $10,000 right before the price increase and use the features every day. I plan to keep the car a long time, no regrets.
Ditto (well i purchased for $10,600 Canadian at the start of March, expecting it to jump in line with the recent US rise (has not done so yet). The primary thing I wanted it for is the auto stopping at STOP signs and red lights on country roads, and for relaxation on the highway. It has only scared me on exits from highway.

Ditto (well i purchased for $10,600 Canadian at the start of March, expecting it to jump in line with the recent US rise (has not done so yet). The primary thing I wanted it for is the auto stopping at STOP signs and red lights on country roads, and for relaxation on the highway. It has only scared me on exits from highway.
What a Hugh waste of money.
sorry you got dumped.

Reactions: AMPd and 2101Guy
The primary thing I wanted it for is the auto stopping at STOP signs and red lights on country roads, and for relaxation on the highway. It has only scared me on exits from highway.

In my opinion, this perfectly highlights why it's not worth it.

$10,000 to avoid letting off the pedal at stop signs. And with that, you get to be afraid while exiting the highway.

Of course not. I was not about to get sucked into that phony scheme of paying for something that is not real. What a Hugh fraud FSD is.
Thanks, I’ll give your opinion exactly what it deserves. BTW is that F-150 part of the recall where they have to take whole body off? I had a Raptor, I sold because of the recall, that and the hideous Ford service here. Sorry I had to be specific on the recall because there are so many

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus
Completely agree. Use the lane change feature every day while on autopilot. Glad I have it!

The value of the Auto Lane Change feature can be debated, it certainly exists and largely works, but many folks bought that for $5-6K as part of EAP, not old FSD. Esp given this is the Model S forum, perhaps more than folks with EAP, than got ALC as part of newer $10K FSD, given Model S production numbers were higher for a time.

So for those folks, still a big question of whether the $5-7K for old FSD is worthwhile, esp pretty much no one of that vintage has been able to get into the FSD beta, regardless of which generation MCU, FSD computer or cameras one does or doesn't have.

Reactions: TessP100D