Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD for 3k after purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The hacker video shows the car identifies much more than you think. It will not need lines to drive as it already defines a "driving surface" independently from "lanes" and "route".

I also have repeatedly had my EAP V9 drive on rural roads, without road markings. I'm surprised more hasn't been said about this, but my situation is a two lane state highway with lane markings that continues to become an "unmarked" rural road.
As long as EAP is enabled with road markings, EAP will continue on a non-marked road, including keeping car on right side, and negotiating curves. It's was cool and kinda scary the first time, but now I've repeated it dozens of times.

i1Tesla did a brief video where he got EAP to engage in a parking lot with temporary tape "road markings', but he seemed to not realize what he'd discovered, when the car continued a short remaining length of the parking lot on EAP with no road markings.

• Informative
Reactions: lolder
You would have to work a miracle to get them to sell you FSD at 3K post delivery, or probably even for 4K at this point... particularly since there is a hardware change required for FSD now.

Wonder what they are going to charge customers to upgrade people from HW2.5 to HW3? Going to be interesting to see how that pans out. Also wonder if sales will perhaps slump some until HW3 releases since HW2.5 will be less desirable as older tech.

You would have to work a miracle to get them to sell you FSD at 3K post delivery, or probably even for 4K at this point... particularly since there is a hardware change required for FSD now.

Wonder what they are going to charge customers to upgrade people from HW2.5 to HW3? Going to be interesting to see how that pans out. Also wonder if sales will perhaps slump some until HW3 releases since HW2.5 will be less desirable as older tech.

This is a pretty important comment and is the reason why you may be unable to add it. I was able to add mine post-delivery but this was because: 1. It was 1 day after delivery and 2. I wanted to pay it upfront and not part of the finance and the Sales Advisor told me I would only be able to add it after the car is delivered (miscommunication).

I know some have been able to get it down to $4k post-delivery depending on when their vehicle was delivered but from the looks of it, it will cost $5k minimum and likely in the $6-$7k range due to the cost of HW3 retrofit.

I would think it is safe to assume once HW3 is available, we will see $5k pre-delivery and $6-$7k post-delivery. If your vehicle came with HW3 installed, assuming you bought your Tesla post-HW3 release, I would also expect a 30-day trial with a reduced purchase price similar to EAP currently, but don't quote me on this, that's just my opinion.

I took delivery of my M3 Friday April 13, 2018. It was configured with EAP but not FSD. I have regretted not purchasing FSD when I originally configured the car.

I read the article which references Tesla removing FSD from the configuration menu. Can I still purchase FSD post delivery?

So when I bought my car FSD was $3k, or $4k after sale. I did not buy it.

I am wondering if they will honor the $4k? Seems like they should for early purchasers...

...should...

Tesla has a long history of change prices and terms and conditions without notice.

I have learned over the years since 2012 that if Tesla offers me something, I have to be quick or it may change.

Tesla can still sell you a lower price prior to the increase as a courtesy if they want to but it has no legal obligation to do so.

It doesn't hurt to call up and ask!

Reactions: Az_Rael

So what happens when FSD does not roll out with HW3 and HW4 comes out? I don't think Tesla would be dumb enough to upgrade you through each HW iteration until FSD is live. We already know that model Y is going to have HW3.5. I bet the refresh of the S/X will bring out HW4... which will definitely finally enable FSD if you believe everything Elon says.

Long story short, I don't think you will get HW3 unless FSD is live... which if you really think about it, won't be anytime soon and when/if it does, I don't think the model 3 will be in my ownership anymore.

So what happens when FSD does not roll out with HW3 and HW4 comes out? I don't think Tesla would be dumb enough to upgrade you through each HW iteration until FSD is live. We already know that model Y is going to have HW3.5
I paid for FSD with the expectation that I’d get some features above and beyond EAP. I never expected that it will be full “Level 5” autonomy; however, if it recognizes stop signs/lights, pedestrians, etc. and adapts accordingly I’d be happy. As @Tam mentioned, for those who purchased FSD, they purchased a feature. I hope and expect Tesla will continue to develop the software and hardware to make that feature possible.

So what happens when FSD does not roll out with HW3 and HW4 comes out? I don't think Tesla would be dumb enough to upgrade you through each HW iteration until FSD is live.

Why do you think it'd be "dumb" for Tesla to honor the contract they took on when they took your money?

Tesla said, a number of times (when 2->2.5 happened, and again for 2.5->3) that if you paid for FSD you get any HW upgrades needed for FSD to work, why wouldn't you expect them to honor that?

Long story short, I don't think you will get HW3 unless FSD is live... which if you really think about it, won't be anytime soon

It will be the same time as HW3 is out- which is a little latter this year- per the direct quotes from Elon a few months ago.

That's FSD features (ie some features only FSD folks get, not EAP folks)- not full L5 driving.

Reactions: C141medic
I suspect Self Driving could be like a cell phone Vs. wired phone.

In the old days, the only way to talk to your family and friends across town on the phone was through a landline phone.

Then, if a company would sell you that you could now cut the wire and talk on the phone wirelessly, it will certainly has to do whatever software/hardware needed to cut the wire for you (and not charging you for 1 cell tower, 100 cell towers, upgrading hardware for those towers....)

However, as time goes by, you might feel sorry that your cell phone was as big and heavy as a brick while newer would look much nicer and lighter.

That's what's happening with AP1 and AP2. They both promised to autobrake, autosteer, autolane change with driver's signal but AP2 can do better with autolane change and soon without driver's signal.

And that's what I'll think will happen to Tesla Full Self Driving: We'll covered for the first basic comparable features as in cutting the cord for cell phone, initial autopilot features in AP1, and future basic driverless feature... but then if we will want more than "basic", we'll have to pay more for more powerful computers at that time.

Last edited:
My car can't even change lanes properly yet. Just had a scare on the way to work where I was more than 50% into the next lane merging slowly, then a very sudden swerve back into my current lane. It was raining a little and I lucky I didn't cause an accident. I took over AP and drove the rest of the way to the office myself.

My car can't even change lanes properly yet. Just had a scare on the way to work where I was more than 50% into the next lane merging slowly, then a very sudden swerve back into my current lane. It was raining a little and I lucky I didn't cause an accident. I took over AP and drove the rest of the way to the office myself.

This is why FSD is a long way away, EAP is great but a LONG way from true FSD. There are just so many situations such as round abouts that it needs to be able to handle, let alone a basic lane charge/merge.

Reactions: Glamisduner
I would like to purchase FSD now, but only at the 3k price point offered prior to purchase. I have seen posts of Tesla honoring this for certain owners, specifically Model S. I have asked without success.

Has anyone with a Model 3 after purchase been able to get it for $3k and if yes, what process did you do?

Why do you want to order it right now? Do you know something we don't know?

Are FSD features coming?

I suspect Self Driving could be like a cell phone Vs. wired phone.

In the old days, the only way to talk to your family and friends across town on the phone was through a landline phone.

Then, if a company would sell you that you could now cut the wire and talk on the phone wirelessly, it will certainly has to do whatever software/hardware needed to cut the wire for you (and not charging you for 1 cell tower, 100 cell towers, upgrading hardware for those towers....)

However, as time goes by, you might feel sorry that your cell phone was as big and heavy as a brick while newer would look much nicer and lighter.

That's what's happening with AP1 and AP2. They both promised to autobrake, autosteer, autolane change with driver's signal but AP2 can do better with autolane change and soon without driver's signal.

And that's what I'll think will happen to Tesla Full Self Driving: We'll covered for the first basic comparable features as in cutting the cord for cell phone, initial autopilot features in AP1, and future basic driverless feature... but then if we will want more than "basic", we'll have to pay more for more powerful computers at that time.
This is why, IMO, Tesla will move to a subscription based model. That way, they can limit the number of hardware configurations they support and not lose money when a subscriber needs a HW upgrade. I don't like this model, but it seems very likely.

Here's some more speculation....for the early adopters that bought before the model changed to subscription based, they will upgrade the HW for awhile, but once the difference between AP4.x and AP5.x (or whatever version they are on at the time) is simply safety and not features, they will no longer upgrade you for free. At that point what they sold you has been delivered and if you want 10x safer than humans vs your current 3x safer, that cost will be on you. The subscribers will get the improved safety as the HW upgrade would be part of the monthly cost.....