Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD for 3k after purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why FSD is a long way away, EAP is great but a LONG way from true FSD. There are just so many situations such as round abouts that it needs to be able to handle, let alone a basic lane charge/merge.

EAPs current processor isn't capable of using nearly all the data available to it at full speed/resolution

HW3 is a 10x improvement in processing power over 2.5.... you really can't make any useful conclusions about what FSD can do with HW3 based on how EAP works with 2.5 (other than it ought to be a ton better).

Reactions: C141medic
I was just quoted 7k.

Congratulations!

The bright side is the "off menu" week is still alive. That's a very long weeeek :)

The bad news is it is so expensive to find out that it is still alive!

I think Tesla is anti-selling Full Self Driving and it has changed its policy from encouraging pre-paying it to the current practice of hiding it so people don't know there's an option for pre-paying.

Maybe Tesla think that it will lose money to pre-sell Full Self Driving because it still does not know the fair value for the feature just yet!

Thanks for the repport @Jackl1956 !

Congratulations!

The bright side is the "off menu" week is still alive. That's a very long weeeek :)

The bad news is it is so expensive to find out that it is still alive!

I think Tesla is anti-selling Full Self Driving and it has changed its policy from encouraging pre-paying it to the current practice of hiding it so people don't know there's an option for pre-paying.

Maybe Tesla think that it will lose money to pre-sell Full Self Driving because it still does not know the fair value for the feature just yet!

Thanks for the repport @Jackl1956 !

And your agenda is?

Intuitively, FSD should not be less than EAP.

It never is - you always have to buy EAP before you can buy the FSD add-on.

I know what you meant, but I still don't agree. I think there are a lot more features/capability that will be added into EAP, and that FSD may be a relatively smaller upgrade (in terms of feature set) than a lot of people realize.

As long as EAP is enabled with road markings, EAP will continue on a non-marked road, including keeping car on right side, and negotiating curves. It's was cool and kinda scary the first time, but now I've repeated it dozens of times.

I've noticed this, too - not on lengthy unmarked roads, but there are many stretches where I know the markings are weak/nonexistent and it won't let me engage EAP... but if I engage before entering those stretches, it generally does a very nice job of driving those segments as if they were marked.

The regulations can be different in every state, which causes confusion.

The "confusion" didn't stop them before.

Even when there were claims of Autopilot confusion, Tesla put out a blog: "98% of customers surveyed said they understand that when using Autopilot, the driver is expected to maintain control of the vehicle at all times."

All of what they need is to put up a map for Autonomous law in the U.S.:

And list which state allows what.

Michigan has allowed cars without a driver, without brake or accelerator pedals roaming around the state since 2016 as long as it obeys all traffic laws.

Florida does not require a driver either...

Last edited:
It never is - you always have to buy EAP before you can buy the FSD add-on.

I know what you meant, but I still don't agree. I think there are a lot more features/capability that will be added into EAP, and that FSD may be a relatively smaller upgrade (in terms of feature set) than a lot of people realize.

That's exactly backward.

EAP is already feature-complete, other than slight upgrade to summon and removing the "approval" for lane changes.

Further we know the HW is already near its limits for EAP. They'll likely still improve it as much as they can within those limits of course.

Only FSD needs the better hardware, Elon has specifically told us this, which only makes sense if that's where all new driver assist features beyond the EAP feature list will be going.

I'm not talking about gross consumer-level features - things you can toggle in the UI.

I mean capability to detect this, a feature to avoid that - many of them will effectively be safety features that enable no new functionality. Many of these may develop from the FSD dev program but end up integrated into EAP.

Why I’m all in on FSD.

At 62 years of age, my eyesight and hearing are not what they once were. My hand-eye-coordination and reflexes have lost a step.

And, I’ve ridden motorcycles for forty-five years. The thing about riding motorcycles is that it gives the rider a much better of the drivers in the surrounding cars. A much better views of their distractions.

These things said, I’m convinced that Full Self Driving can and will surpass the Safety performance of human drivers (me in particular) much quicker than most think.

Tesla’s growing database of logged miles—both Enhanced Autopilot and FSD—should provide them with a significant technology advantage in bringing Full Self Driving to success.

But, more than all of this, I’ve always wanted to part of something that changed the world for the better. Self Driving will change the world.

At 7k...a bargain.

FYI, in the Tesla owner portal under Shop / Autopilot Upgrades... I am seeing the option to pre-pay $5k for FSD. Just bought and picked up my car the first week of Jan 2019.

Autopilot Upgrades

1527027447705.png

Full Self Driving Capability
Adding this option today means you will be one of the first to experience full self-driving when it becomes available in the future.

This functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval. It is not possible to know exactly when it will be available, as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction.

Note: Enhanced Autopilot is required for the purchase of Full Self Driving Capability.

Buy for $5,000

TOTAL (0)
$0

I am not sure whether we are talking about the same thing Full Self Driving.

According to @steve in socal above, the Full Self Driving is $5,000 which is the same announced post-delivery price in 11/2018.

$7,000 is currently a post-delivery price for Enhanced Autopilot.

Did you already pay $5,000 pre-delivery price for Enhanced Autopilot already and now you are quoted $7,000 for Full Self Driving?

Just trying to make sense of different prices. Thanks!

Last edited:
LOL! FSD won't be approved for 10 years, long after the current Teslas are gone!

Like @Jackl1956, I am reaching the age of 60 and my eyesight, hearing, and reaction are not as good as previously. I paid for FSD not because it will be driverless but because I want to take advantage of its beta features.

There's no law against Tesla FSD to recognize a red light or a stop sign and react to them and automatically brake to a stop while I am in the driver seat.

And you are not reading the post above!

Michigan law already approves any car without a driver, without an accelerator pedal, without a brake pedal, without steering wheel to roam around its state as long as it can obey all traffic law. Not just this year but as far back as in 2016!

Michigan approves cars without drivers or steering wheels on its roads

GM_Cruise_AV.0.jpeg

Florida allows driverless cars but it is not as bold as Michigan because it still requires traditional foot pedals and steering wheel.

The laws are already here in many states although not all states.

Last edited: