Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD for EAP owners, reduced to 3k until 8/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received an email from Telsa (on 8/6/19) that states:

"As an owner who has purchased Enhanced Autopilot – you can now upgrade to Full Self-Driving Capability at a reduced price of $3,000. Get access to current convenience features and future Full Self-Driving features to continually increase the capability of your Tesla over time. Use Navigate on Autopilot for assisted driving from on-ramp to off-ramp, including interchanges, merges and exits – while Autopark and Summon take the hassle out of finding a parking spot and getting out of tight spaces. The price of this upgrade will increase on August 16".

For ONCE, for what seems like the first time, Tesla actually communicated well -- sending emails -- with owners about the price reduction and when it goes back up! Although I wish the reduced the price wasn't so short lived, I am fine with it because, they gave clear info and proactive notice to owner's listed contact method.

* They didn't do this earlier in the year when they temporarily reduced the cost to $2k ... there was no communication about it ... unless an owner was one of the small percent that actually uses these forums, follows Musk on twitter, or looks at their online owner account (all of which is really a very small percent of owners), they wouldn't know. Sending the email is the way customer service is supposed to be, and no one can complain later either if they miss it (well, they can complain, but their complaint won't be legitimate :) ;) )

PS I'm still not spending $3k on nothing ... as I don't think the few additional features that will slowly roll out with FSD over EAP is worth it, but at least its an educated choice knowing when the price goes up.

Reactions: asterothe
I exa
I just received an email from Telsa (on 8/6/19) that states:

"As an owner who has purchased Enhanced Autopilot – you can now upgrade to Full Self-Driving Capability at a reduced price of $3,000. Get access to current convenience features and future Full Self-Driving features to continually increase the capability of your Tesla over time. Use Navigate on Autopilot for assisted driving from on-ramp to off-ramp, including interchanges, merges and exits – while Autopark and Summon take the hassle out of finding a parking spot and getting out of tight spaces. The price of this upgrade will increase on August 16".

For ONCE, for what seems like the first time, Tesla actually communicated well -- sending emails -- with owners about the price reduction and when it goes back up! Although I wish the reduced the price wasn't so short lived, I am fine with it because, they gave clear info and proactive notice to owner's listed contact method.

I exactly said the same thing on the other thread. I gave them commendations for that. They should handle these kind of changes this way transparently so we can decide. Not with cryptic tweets.

re04586 - Nope, that was the entirety of the email (what I copied and pasted above), other than a photo image and link to "purchase". Clicking the link opened a page to my manage my Tesla account page, that lists only the following, with no other details ...

"Full Self-Driving Capability
All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go and your Tesla will figure out the optimal route.
Please note that Self-Driving functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval which may vary widely by jurisdiction.
$3,000"

I'm so confused with the way Tesla does their pricing and who gets what discounts. I bought a used 2018 without AutoPilot and have been wanting to upgrade. I tried to see if there was a way to demo so I can get it at a discount but no luck. Right now the pricing shows Autopilot = $3k and AP + FSD = $9k. The pricing has increased.

ESoCal, are you saying you got the email only because you had purchased the AutoPilot option already? If I can get AutoPilot and FSD for $6k I would do it.

I'm so confused with the way Tesla does their pricing and who gets what discounts. I bought a used 2018 without AutoPilot and have been wanting to upgrade. I tried to see if there was a way to demo so I can get it at a discount but no luck. Right now the pricing shows Autopilot = $3k and AP + FSD = $9k. The pricing has increased.

ESoCal, are you saying you got the email only because you had purchased the AutoPilot option already? If I can get AutoPilot and FSD for $6k I would do it.

The discount is for folks who paid $5k for EAP. So the total for EAP+FSD with the discount is $8k.

I purchased March 2019, paid $3k for AP, and my total for AP+FSD is also $9k. It would be nice for those of us who didn't get AP standard to get a small discount for FSD, but at least a $1k difference isn't too bad.

The discount is for folks who paid $5k for EAP. So the total for EAP+FSD with the discount is $8k.

I purchased March 2019, paid $3k for AP, and my total for AP+FSD is also $9k. It would be nice for those of us who didn't get AP standard to get a small discount for FSD, but at least a $1k difference isn't too bad.

Oh ok. I have heard people getting different prices.

Oh ok. I have heard people getting different prices.

No kidding. A while back I put this spreadsheet together to track all the possible prices. I think it has a few impossible combinations, but people have gotten to FSD by paying as little as $5,000 total, while some other people may have paid $13,000. At the very least, it makes $9k sound reasonable.

fsd_prices.png

Seriously, with Tesla keep bring it back and taking away the pricing, this is getting old.
I am so used to it that I am not at all scare of the price increase on 8/16 because I know for certain they will bring it back again with similar deal (or much better) in the future.

I was tricked by the FSD video back in 2016. Still awesome car in today's market but to the point where they promised like in FSD video.

More importantly, no updates on FSD completion as of now. Very poor management by Tesla.

With Tesla, you should be patient. Don't be afraid of the price increase, because in the long run, it is opposite.

Learned the hard way with Model 3 Performance, especially. Bought it when the base price was 70,500. Now the base is 54,990.

And I don't think I need to mention about people who bought P100D 150K+, which is now comparable to 100K with all options included.

Reactions: croman and dbldwn02
FSD has "current convenience features" Wha??? I have EAP and it's supposed to already include all those convenience features. They need to get their versions right. Summon is a joke, NoA is ok, autopark still isn't a thing. And all three of these were part of EAP, not FSD. So what current features do you get for upgrading? I'm confused but I'm not surprised that I'm confused. I follow these changes daily and I still can't keep up. How are normal people supposed to know what they're getting?

willow_hiller, thanks for the clarification to 1ton.

dbldwn02, yeah, I'm basically of same thoughts. I have EAP, and nothing makes me think FSD (at least in coming year to couple years) will provide much worthwhile additional benefits over EAP (especially not worth $3k more).

It seems like this time around (?), the sale and push to make people think they should pre-buy and upgrade to FSD is with anticipation of actual real updates coming within the next month and year, but I think likely just improvements to Summons, NoA and autopark, and maybe adding some red light and sign recognition. The red light and sign recognition would be a great addition.

However, at least for me and my general drive areas, imo, based on reliability of how EAP features currently work, I would't trust my car and drive to the updates. I love and use daily AP on my commute, but it has huge limitations and I have to take over multiple times each drive -- I've learned well its limitations and problem locations, so I am vigilant on being ready and switch it on an doff and on ... All that said, again, while I absolutely find AP has made my commute much easier, it is far from reliable, and I wouldn't trust the planned updates to be any different (at least not for a long time to come), so the upgrade doesn't seem worth it to me even if it would be neat to have. If and when it is out, has had various updates and refinements, and I know what I'd be getting, I would consider at that point, even if more expensive ... but not buying "smoke", only what I know I'm getting.

Also, at least imo, I think Telsa made a mistake changing how they sell AP and FSD features with axing EAP. I'm on my second Tesla now, and I would pay for EAP every time to get the bundle with AP features. But with AP now automatically included, and the next level paying all-in to go for FSD, I'd pass, and go only with included AP ... as I don't really use the additional features more than rarely and the additional "features" are not compelling enough for the cost.

But I am encouraged and like that Tesla is actually communicating with current EAP owners as to the "sale" pricing and time period. Kuddos to Tesla for that.

I was under the impression that all the features currently marketed under the "FSD" label were available to those who had paid for EAP, since they had all been provided as EAP features before EAP was discontinued and those features moved to FSD. If that makes the least bit of sense. If that's the case, then why spend any money on FSD at this point? You'd just be giving Tesla a $3000 no-interest loan.

I was under the impression that all the features currently marketed under the "FSD" label were available to those who had paid for EAP, since they had all been provided as EAP features before EAP was discontinued and those features moved to FSD. If that makes the least bit of sense. If that's the case, then why spend any money on FSD at this point? You'd just be giving Tesla a $3000 no-interest loan.

This is the best visual for what you get vs. own with this upgrade path. It is from the other EAL to FSD thread

kGamnw2.png

• Informative
Reactions: Boourns
The date on a change in pricing or feature availability, is as usual with Tesla, a bit amorphous, extended after the deadline that was used to get people to order and not miss out. Notice stated the price of this upgrade will increase on 8/16, but as of 8/19, still at $3k. Probably change by end of the week. No complaints with that, just reporting.