Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD for Lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I've been thinking of adding FSD as an option before my car gets here. Now normally, I don't think it is worth $6000, but According to my OA, it would increase my monthly payments by $94 dollars a month. Given this, do you guys still think it is worth $3300 to add it? I'm still on the fence especially since as of now, Tesla doesn't offer the option to buy the Model 3 at the end of the lease.

Hey guys, I've been thinking of adding FSD as an option before my car gets here. Now normally, I don't think it is worth $6000, but According to my OA, it would increase my monthly payments by $94 dollars a month. Given this, do you guys still think it is worth $3300 to add it? I'm still on the fence especially since as of now, Tesla doesn't offer the option to buy the Model 3 at the end of the lease.

Compared to the Standard ("Basic") Autopilot, the FSD upgrade will give you Auto Lane Change, Navigate on Autopilot, Autopark and Summon. That's today. Later you will get Enhanced Summon, Enhanced Autopark, traffic lights and signs recognition, etc.

Whether that is worth the extra cost to you, only you can decide.

Compared to the Standard ("Basic") Autopilot, the FSD upgrade will give you Auto Lane Change, Navigate on Autopilot, Autopark and Summon. That's today. Later you will get Enhanced Summon, Enhanced Autopark, traffic lights and signs recognition, etc.

Whether that is worth the extra cost, only you can decide.
Would you guys do it? Those who have what they offer now, is it worth it?

No. Likely will do basically nothing for the term of the lease.

Not sure you are remembering this, but for new purchasers, they have to purchase FSD to get things like navigation on autopilot, smart summon, etc. Whether its worth it or not is up to the OP. This is basically another "Is autopilot worth it?" post, and if OP was really wondering about that, OP could search TMC for those words and likely find plenty of opinions to read (none of which would apply directly to the OP, OPs opinion, and OPs commute).

We dont drive your commute, or know your specific desire for the features that are available right now that are now FSD only. Do you see yourself using it? Then its worth it. If you dont, then its not.

We also dont know how much $3300" is to you. for some people, its basically pocket change. For some people, its "an amount of money that would make a difference". That also would influence any financial decision.

This is similar to people asking "which of these color model 3's should I buy?".

Reactions: C141medic
i opted not to get it, dont think it would have been worth it on my 36 mo. lease. maybe on the next one...

We have two Tesla's: I drive a Model S, my wife has a Model 3. Mine has FSD, her's doesn't.

Personally, I love technology, so for me, all current Autopilot features and the promise of Full Self-Driving in the future were the main reasons I wanted a Tesla in the first place. I use advanced Autopilot features like Auto Lane change and Navigate on Autopilot all the time. Every day! Even though I had an Enhanced Autopilot already, I decided to upgrade to FSD, so I could get the new computer and enjoy all new FSD features as they come out.

My wife doesn't care about technology as much as I do. For her the Autopilot is not a priority, not worth the cost. She is happy with the "Basic" Autopilot: TACC and Lane Keeping. She is not planning to upgrade until true FSD materializes.

As you can see, there is no single answer. It's more about your own priorities and preferences.

Last edited:
Reactions: BZM3

Here's how I broke it down, for me personally (i have 2 family members with FSD)... The big missing features AS OF RIGHT NOW if you opt out are as follows:

-Navigate on Autopilot - this isn't really necessary for me, when im on the highway try to stay in the same lane and take over when exiting. i understand it can exit for me but for 6K? no

-Lane Change while on Autopilot - I do miss this one, a slight pain to switch lines, it deactivates steering assist (keeps speed control on) and then i just have to double tap once more once in lane to reatctivate the steering assist. worth 6K? no.

-Summon -i could care less about summon in its current form. i would MAYBE use this once a month if not even less. its just not something i would consistently use. Advanced summon looks cool but not worth 6K especially since we dont know when it will be fully usable (im on a 36 mo. lease.)

-Self Park, definitely useful.. but for the price? absolutely not.

and who knows when the true FSD will drop.

So in conclusion, for a lease, i would just say no and wait till the next one.

Not sure you are remembering this, but for new purchasers, they have to purchase FSD to get things like navigation on autopilot, smart summon, etc. Whether its worth it or not is up to the OP. This is basically another "Is autopilot worth it?" post, and if OP was really wondering about that, OP could search TMC for those words and likely find plenty of opinions to read (none of which would apply directly to the OP, OPs opinion, and OPs commute).

Navigate on Autopilot is very borderline, unable to merge into exit lanes when traffic pressure exists (most of the time) and performing ridiculous driving errors like random slowdowns and swerving in lane splits/lane merges. This feature implies an extra level of automation over regular autopilot, but it cannot deliver on that promise as long as these kinds of weaknesses exist in autopilot in general. I could list many more examples of how autopilot drives worse than a kid on a learners permit in all but the simplest driving scenarios...

Smart Summon does not exist and has missed a year’s worth of release dates. Regular summon is a party trick.

so, this leaves Auto Lane Change. I quite like this feature on long trips, but it is hardly worth $6k.

for a lease, I don’t think it makes sense to bet on suddenly hitting release dates for FSD features. Just pay for FSD on the next lease.

if you’re buying, it might make more sense. We just ordered an X with FSD (buying), but would’ve skipped it if leasing again.

Last edited:
Don't do it... I know a few people who bought their cars October - December of 2016 and purchased FSD... They are all coming up on 3 years now and still have not seen FSD and Tesla will not give you a refund if they never release it before you turn it back in.

Those people have EAP, which has every feature that is CURRENTLY in FSD. For this OP your argument is not valid, since back then EAP included "everything now" and FSD included "stuff in the future". NOW, FSD includes most of the stuff they got when they got EAP.

Apples and Oranges. OP can (and should) make a decision based on what is available in FSD RIGHT NOW as detailed in post #10 by @BZM3

Reactions: BZM3
Unless you really want summon or autopark, I can't imagine it being worthwhile in a lease where you can't purchase the car at the end. I don't think FSD will be available (the actual ability not the option to pay for it) within 3 years. Even if they get it to work, you won't be able to use it until the states pass a law saying you can use it. That's why Tesla says to keep your hands on the wheel in AP, they aren't taking the blame when something goes wrong. If you buy the car and plan on keeping it for a long while FSD could be an acceptable cost (but not for me because my life is not worth risking on unproven tech. Ask yourself if you'd be willing to get into a cab that had NO driver or person to take control. If no, then you shouldn't get it now).