Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD for V2 MCU/APU battle. Any one purchase it for V2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Batt Car

Executive, engineer, entrepreneur, author, dad.
Oct 1, 2018
West Chester PA
I have been having a lengthy conversation with Tesla Support on buying FSD for my 2017 Model X. It did not show initially on my Tesla account page during the discount period. It showed up for a day, but not at the discount, then disappeared again.

The answer I am getting is that FSD is not being offered for cars with V2 APU/MCU. I am sure I have seen folks on here and on Tesla forums saying they purchased it for V2 X & S models.

Anyone have any similar experience or success in purchasing it? I am getting ready to contact the managing board for assistance.

My worry is that the purchase price will go up in order to cover the equipment swap out.

I have been having a lengthy conversation with Tesla Support on buying FSD for my 2017 Model X. It did not show initially on my Tesla account page during the discount period. It showed up for a day, but not at the discount, then disappeared again.

The answer I am getting is that FSD is not being offered for cars with V2 APU/MCU. I am sure I have seen folks on here and on Tesla forums saying they purchased it for V2 X & S models.

Anyone have any similar experience or success in purchasing it? I am getting ready to contact the managing board for assistance.

My worry is that the purchase price will go up in order to cover the equipment swap out.

I have a June 2017 built Model X with AP 2.0 and purchased FSD with it. This is a fairly frequent topic recently. Another owner just went thru something very similar to your story which I read here in the past two weeks. If I find it I will update this thread.

Right, if your car is early 2017 (before August-ish) it has MCU 1, AP 2.0.

AP 2.5 was late August 2017 and MCU 2 was February 2018 (if I recall correctly).

The price shouldn’t go up soon ‘to cover the swap out’ of the AP computer for what is now called the new FSD computer as that has been part of the new ‘final’ FSD for over a year. But Elon has stated the price IS going up on May 1. And that AP 2.0 cars will be upgradable. So it’s weird they won’t let you purchase FSD when he has said ‘buy it now’.

I have a June 2017 built Model X with AP 2.0 and purchased FSD with it.

Apologies in advance for the alphabet soup.

I have a Jan 2017 X90D with AP HW2 and MCU1 and purchased EAP and FSD with the car (this sentence would make no sense outside this forum).

From what I've been able to read in the forums here and therefore think I understand, the upgrade from AP HW2.5 to HW3 is a relatively straightforward CPU swap. But prior to 2.5, there were several changes between AP HW2 to 2.5: color cameras, different wiring, added sensors.

I believe (more accurately, "my guess is") that AP HW2 will be upgraded to HW3 for FSD buyers; but because it is a more complicated upgrade, they may be trying to limit the number of HW2 owners that can upgrade. They may eventually make it a policy to not sell FSD to people who buy used HW2-equipped cars; in the meantime, before it's official policy, they are making it difficult to do.

What I'm less sure about is what happens to the MCU. Some of the early dashcam functionality appears to be tied to the MCU, while sentry mode is only for HW2.5+ equipped cars; many of those cars have MCU2, but not all of them. So I'm a little bit confused about that part -- and I'm wondering if the AP HW3 upgrade include an MCU2(+?) upgrade, or not.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the upgrade specifics, in any case. I'm not sure if being first to upgrade will be a benefit ("we'll change everything in the car just to be sure it works") or not ("we'll change the minimum amount of stuff because it's cheaper and we'll call you if we need to change something else later on"). Based on how Tesla has been changing its handling customer complaints over the past few years, I'd expect them to be less and less generous as years go by.

We'll see :)

Reactions: Sandiegodoug
If I were Tesla, I would just refund the $3K or whatever we paid for our FSD package as it may cost more to upgrade to the full Ap3 hardware with cameras etc...and yes I am on AP2 with FSD purchased but I don't see us being treated to the upgrades. I do hope I am wrong though.

Reactions: Ryshaw
If I were Tesla, I would just refund the $3K or whatever we paid for our FSD package as it may cost more to upgrade to the full Ap3 hardware with cameras etc...and yes I am on AP2 with FSD purchased but I don't see us being treated to the upgrades. I do hope I am wrong though.

It's a possibility, but I would imagine that would open them up to all sorts of class action lawsuits (in the US at least). And so far, all the communications seem to say "we'll upgrade all the people who bought FSD" without mentioning HW version. So, like you, I'm not sure -- but I'm leaning more towards the optimistic side.

Of course, I'd be happy to take a straight trade with a newer X :)

Also AP 2.0, MCU 1.0--Bought FSD--$2K. I agree with jfbaudio, T may be committed to honoring those that purchased FSD with the upgrades, but they may not want to continue offering FSD for those in that class who have not yet purchased it. In essence they may close the window as the upgrades may cost more than they were selling it for. I also agree that they could renege and refund to those in the class who bought it. Not good PR but also not a huge population.--On the other hand the early adopters are a vocal lot with high T loyalty--may not want to anger them and so be constrained to honor the upgrade. I did not know they had taken the FSD upgrade opportunity from the AP 2.0 owners. U sure about that?

Reactions: jfbaudio