Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember through, EVERYTHING Tesla releases is "Beta". AP1 is still beta. Auto wipers are still Beta. Smart Summon is Beta. It's all Beta. So whatever they release is the best version that they've been able to come up with. Just like thy sold Enhanced AP or gladly took $10,000 from anyone who wanted it. I should be delivered to all that paid for it. either that, or tell the customer, they're not eligible and refund their money. FSD will be in Beta forever. At least until Level 5 autonomy is fully ready for primetime. We are clearly years and yeas and years away from that.

I purchased one and leased two of the others. Being that I just turned in the leases at the end, got noting in return. Could have saved $300 +/- per month or so on the lease had I not opted for it. The other car, being that when I sold it, and I guess is still true today, FSD doesn't do much. It has no real measurable impact on resale values. Of course, if they ever do get it to work, then it will have value at that point. But for now, it's pretty much $10,000 vaporware.
All those other items you mentioned have been released to the masses though. I think FSD will still be called beta long after being released to the masses. So I wouldn’t go by that. But we shall see.

As far as paying for FSD when leased, ouch. Yeah that wouldn’t have been good. I typically don’t buy something on a “future promise”. In fact, when I ordered my car in 2016, I didn’t choose any autopilot option. Just had dumb cruise control…not even TACC. It wasn’t until the FSD fire sale for 5k that I purchased all of it.

All those other items you mentioned have been released to the masses though. I think FSD will still be called beta long after being released to the masses. So I wouldn’t go by that. But we shall see.

As far as paying for FSD when leased, ouch. Yeah that wouldn’t have been good. I typically don’t buy something on a “future promise”. In fact, when I ordered my car in 2016, I didn’t choose any autopilot option. Just had dumb cruise control…not even TACC. It wasn’t until the FSD fire sale for 5k that I purchased all of it.
Purchased my P100D in December of 2016 and took a pass on FSD. In March of 2019, I took advantage of another “FSD fire sale” and was able to add at $2,000. Although still not fully functional, I still think I got a pretty good deal……….

Now I need to go drive a bunch because some idiot decided to make a last minute turn without a signal and I was not able to hit the brakes before the advance collision warning alert………….

Reactions: pilotSteve

I think my point was, was exactly what you stated. Someone argued that it's ok to only be released to a few because it's "Beta". I was saying, all things with Tesla are Beta, thus why start limiting it now to only those who can pass the test.

I wonder if folks that have MCU1 like myself will get the download FSD button, or FSD that I paid for over 4 years ago ....

My SW version is stuck at 2020.48.37.6 like the original poster. I put in a service request to get it upgraded, dont have high hopes.
Welcome to the club.

One of my points is tesla should keep the promise that the cars we bought have the hardware necessary for FSD. If they don't then Tesla will retrofit us.

If MCU1 is sufficient, then there should be FSD code that is written for it and tested. There should be a beta version of the MCU1 code or at least an alpha to investigate if it is sufficient. If MCU1 is not sufficient for FSD, Tesla should know at this point, and they should be actively going about getting us "honored elders" the hardware upgrade we need, agreed to, and paid for 5 years ago.

I like to think that if there weren't S owners like myself, that the 3's and Y's, getting the features we were promised, would not exist.

Reactions: Tesomega
My suspicion is that we are training the NN's right now. The higher the safety score, the more weight they give to the training. From there, they are also identifying potential issues like that jackalope that cuts you off and you slam on the brakes (again, tagged and training the NN on the reaction), as well as taking turns too hard (training), and so on. This is a mass training and then once the NN's are fully trained (think 2 weeks?) they release a fully-updated package that comes out to the cars, and the training continues.

It's all a game and we are playing it.

Reactions: BriansBucketList
My suspicion is that we are training the NN's right now.
I'm fairly confident given direct statements at the recent AI event that it's not like that at all.

My understanding:
- No training is currently done by human drivers.
- No training is directly on the car hardware. (You don't have a compute cluster in your car; nor do I.)
- Telemetry (regularly) and video (conditionally) are sent back to the mothership for edge case analysis and, conditionally, then used for labelling for future NN training on the compute cluster.

I'm fairly confident given direct statements at the recent AI event that it's not like that at all.

My understanding:
- No training is directly on the car hardware. (You don't have a compute cluster in your car; nor do I.)
- Telemetry (regularly) and video (conditionally) are sent back to the mothership for edge case analysis and, conditionally, then used for labelling for future NN training on the compute cluster.
I think right now you are training the Tesla Insurance NN. the thing when insurance is widely released, will give you an accurate quote, based on driver behavior patterns.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO

My understanding:

"Currently" was at the time of the AI event. We are now, what, 4 weeks beyond that point? I agree, training is not directly on the car hardware, but the car hardware is NOW flagging events and transmitting that back to the mothership. Video may also be included. The processing is then done on the mothership end.

Reactions: QUBO and ucmndd
"Currently" was at the time of the AI event. We are now, what, 4 weeks beyond that point? I agree, training is not directly on the car hardware, but the car hardware is NOW flagging events and transmitting that back to the mothership. Video may also be included. The processing is then done on the mothership end.
I agree. Nobody is saying any training is actually happening within the vehicle itself, but you’ve just incentivized thousands of drivers to allow you to track their every move while driving exactly the way you would expect an autonomous vehicle to drive. That’s a treasure trove of data to analyze and feed into the models for the actual neural net training that’s happening at HQ.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
Well, not a huge surprise. I put in a service request and this is what they said:

"Hello from Tesla service. Your vehicle is currently on the newest software release available for your vehicle. There are no other updates currently available. At this time Tesla's Full Self Driving Beta is only available for Model S/X vehicles built after March 2018 or have upgraded the Infotainment Media Control Unit. We will be cancelling this appointment since there are no repairs needed, please feel free to reach back out with any questions."

Should I ask them if I can ever get FSD with MCU1? Bet I'll get some canned non-answer. Lol.

Well, not a huge surprise. I put in a service request and this is what they said:

"Hello from Tesla service. Your vehicle is currently on the newest software release available for your vehicle. There are no other updates currently available. At this time Tesla's Full Self Driving Beta is only available for Model S/X vehicles built after March 2018 or have upgraded the Infotainment Media Control Unit. We will be cancelling this appointment since there are no repairs needed, please feel free to reach back out with any questions."

Should I ask them if I can ever get FSD with MCU1? Bet I'll get some canned non-answer. Lol.

Ask for MCU2 upgrade or refund. FSD purchase did include any HW needed for FSD.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Don't get me wrong, I understand what they are trying to do
They are trying to do a slow careful "beta" release by providing access to drivers they believe are low-risk and more careful using some methodology they have come up with. Sure every methodology has its flaws. Has this been done before a 100 times, a dozen times, or atleast once in the history of car driving? Nope. So the first iteration of this is going to be not the best, but they will quickly improve on it.

I am guessing a majority of those who got the beta would quit using FSD in the state as it is right now. It needs to improve a lot for being practically useful. It will get there, and as it more progresses more people will get them and the nanny scoring methodology will also improve. Give them a chance.

Ive tried this when I had MCU1. They wouldn't refund the extra I paid for FSD from EAP

I guess "they" means service center? A service center manager might not have the authority to give you a free MCU1. Hire a lawyer and threaten to take the dispute to court or arbitration (your lawyer will know which path would work best). This will push the decision on Tesla's end to someone who can make the decision and make you whole.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
My following statements will not apply to everyone that has commented but I’m curious as to why a few people are complaining about the test to acquire the FSD Beta.

If you enjoy quick acceleration, which could result in hard braking or aggressive turning,
if you enjoy launch mode
if you love any of the performance features in your vehicle,

Then maybe FSD is not for you. I’m pretty sure that your car will not launch while in FSD. It will occasionally hard break and possibly swerve, to avoid collision. It will not aggressively accelerate on the “on ramp”, more likely to decelerate creating the potential for an accident. If you don’t believe me just enable navigate on auto-pilot to see for yourself.