Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD going up 1 November

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This makes sense. Thinking back to the $7100 to $8500 increase, why did that happen in areas that got no additional features?

I believe that was to incentivise ordering FSD during the initial car purchase checkout process and therefore paying LCT.

I spoke to a sales rep when it was $7100 and she said I may as well add it when configuring as it will go up by the time I take deliver anyway. She was right.

This had changed since last time i looked - explicitly calling out traffic lights & stop signs, City driving, smart summon.....coming later this year. At least they are willing to put a timeframe on the website (although theres nothing legally holding them to it - it can be delayed for whatever reason).

Waiting to pickup my M3 in a couple of weeks from Richmond - I know Elon wants people to sign up for FSD and the tweets are dangling the price rise as a reason to jump now, but im coming round to thinking that its not a bad idea to jump at FSD before the next price jump (reversing my previous thought). Spend now on FSD or spend later on FSD at a higher price.

AU FSD.jpg

RE: "Coming later this year"; Elon said early access might get feature complete this year, but he didn't sound confident. In my mind this means we certainly won't get it this year.

I'm predicting that FSD will eventually go to subscription, or one day be included in the car price like AP is now. Likely not for a few years though.

This had changed since last time i looked - explicitly calling out traffic lights & stop signs, City driving, smart summon.....coming later this year. At least they are willing to put a timeframe on the website (although theres nothing legally holding them to it - it can be delayed for whatever reason).

Waiting to pickup my M3 in a couple of weeks from Richmond - I know Elon wants people to sign up for FSD and the tweets are dangling the price rise as a reason to jump now, but im coming round to thinking that its not a bad idea to jump at FSD before the next price jump (reversing my previous thought). Spend now on FSD or spend later on FSD at a higher price.

View attachment 472303
Traffic light and stop sign capability has been coming ‘later this year’ for about 3 years.
I guess it will be correct eventually.

If I took the plunge, ordered and paid deposit a couple of weeks back- and then down the line a price increase occurs through any means (increase in FSD, general increase in price of car, paint price changes etc)- what am I going to be paying on final settlement?
- The amount I was quoted when i paid my deposit, or
- An updated cost with any new increases when then car actually arrives?

(Actual date of arrival- I don’t even think about anymore. Last time I checked it had gone from Nov to Feb - reading all the other threads on vin issuing is all too depressing!)

Traffic light and stop sign capability has been coming ‘later this year’ for about 3 years.
I guess it will be correct eventually.

They ostensibly had it working on the NVIDIA FSD computer in 2016 (based on the Model X video). They probably extrapolated out and assumed it would be production ready late 2017. The problem was they then realised that the NVIDIA solution wasn't fast enough to run the Neural Net and all the possible edge cases to be safe enough. This then delayed things by 2-3 years. A bit of a false start but I think their overall strategy is good. I wouldn't expect the FSD package to be worth $8.5k for another 2 years but by the then, who knows what it will cost!

They ostensibly had it working on the NVIDIA FSD computer in 2016 (based on the Model X video). They probably extrapolated out and assumed it would be production ready late 2017. The problem was they then realised that the NVIDIA solution wasn't fast enough to run the Neural Net and all the possible edge cases to be safe enough. This then delayed things by 2-3 years. A bit of a false start but I think their overall strategy is good. I wouldn't expect the FSD package to be worth $8.5k for another 2 years but by the then, who knows what it will cost!
The faster computer has been going in cars for how many months now?
Traffic and stop sign autonomous braking is a significant issue. It needs to absolutely work every time. Unlike steering where they insist we keep our hands on the wheel, we can’t keep our foot on the brake.
There is 1.5 months left this year. I’d be shocked if it arrives ‘later this year’, but you can read it all again next year.

The faster computer has been going in cars for how many months now?
Traffic and stop sign autonomous braking is a significant issue. It needs to absolutely work every time. Unlike steering where they insist we keep our hands on the wheel, we can’t keep our foot on the brake.
There is 1.5 months left this year. I’d be shocked if it arrives ‘later this year’, but you can read it all again next year.

You are absolutely right and I'm not trying to defend Tesla here -- just trying to unpick what is going on behind the scenes. I suspect that they purposely do not want to update the website right now until they are more confident in timelines. We all know that the "later this year" is basically a throw away comment at this stage. I am still quietly hopeful we get NoA this year however.

With "smart summon" being available in 2019.36.2 release, the question remains on when NoA will be available, and whether FSD price increase will happen before NoA availability for Australia.

Last increase from $7,200 to $8,500 happened suddenly in the middle of June with no warning. I wouldn't be surprised if we see another one this year to $10,000.

Actually saying these features will arrive “this year” is quite clever marketing and not at all misleading. Even on 31 december it could still arrive this year.....and then the next day, it can still arrive this year.....ok its next year at that point but this year when it arrives. So it will always arrive “this year”. Notice how they dont say which year.

Good Grief, Tesla are certainly low key on communications. The only way I know that my FSD order was accepted is the notification from my credit card provider and now I see on my Tesla account that the Autopilot picture is no longer on the "Manage" page. They could be a little more forthcoming, eg a receipt.
I agree. If you call service they can email you the receipt immediately - they did it for me.

I called to service centre number just now and pulled the trigger. Got some interesting info..
  • No info on whether or not price will increase, but service staff do not get any special treatment on pricing. Once they know they start telling customers.
  • noAP is "coming soon" but no information on whether its this year or next. Couldn't tease any further info out the service centre person over the phone. I have a feeling that they know more than what is being let on but have been told not to make any comments. Maybe there is some regulatory approval that needs to occur.