Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD H/W Update - a little underwhelming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I've recently received the FSD H/W update for my MX.
It seems a little underwhelming:
  • It has added sentry mode recording, but the recording is useless because the video is stop/start (this apparently requires the MCU update to work properly). There are many examples of this online if you want to see.
  • Stoplights show, which is nice. But its a little primitive
    • It will stop for traffic lights
    • if you have a green light and a green arrow - that simply shows as a single light, and the car seems to randomly choose one to react to
    • The beep for a green light is very useful, but its often for the wrong light
    • the car often tries to stop on the motorway when there is a traffic light controlling the flow of traffic entering the motorway. That is, it reacts to traffic lights way off to the side on the on-ramp.
    • it seems to be struggling between red and green, and traffic lights often show on the display flickering between the two states.
    • it picks up traffic lights that are obviously for other roads (i.e. we are seeing them side-on).
  • It does see cones. This seems to work pretty well
  • Phantom braking is still there.
  • Driving line (i.e. staying centered) doesn't seem to have changed much. It still occasionally cuts corners crossing partially into other lanes, then suddenly trying to correct.
  • It still reacts too quickly to lane merges. So if my lane merges with another, then the car will lurch to the centre of the new merged lane.
I've only had it a couple of weeks so I'm still trying to figure out all the places where surprises lurk (like going under bridges).
Has anyone else had relatively underwhelming upgrade results? Was I expecting too much?
Hopefully V9 will improve things, plus I'm booking in an MCU upgrade.

Paul.

Not sure what you mean by stop/start, but even with MCU2, there will be a few seconds missing between each (slightly less than) 1 minute clip. I don't understand why that can't be overcome, but either it can't or Tesla just doesn't care. However, MCU2 will add the backup camera to your recordings.

Not sure what you mean by stop/start, but even with MCU2, there will be a few seconds missing between each (slightly less than) 1 minute clip. I don't understand why that can't be overcome, but either it can't or Tesla just doesn't care. However, MCU2 will add the backup camera to your recordings.
Heres stop/start: (click).
Apparently I need to upgrade the MCU as well for it to work right (I have an early 2017 MX).

One further thing on the traffic lights...

Last night I was sitting at the lights with 3 red lights clearly visible, and visible on my display. One of the lights also had a red arrow. When that arrow turned green, *all* the lights on my dash turned green and the "bong" sounded. Lucky I wasn't on autopilot as it might have moved forwards.

I've owned my MX for a long time and am used to various fun software foibles as it has developed, but this was more "beta-ish" than usual.

With the latest (non-beta) FSD software, as we drove through ez tag toll lanes with green arrows lit overhead, the FSD software detected those as stop lights and even started to slow down at one toll booth because it thought it was an intersection...

According to Musk, the new beta FSD is a major rewrite - with improved object detection - and hopefully we'll see the system do a better job of interpreting the camera inputs.

Since both of our vehicles were supposed to be added to the "early access" list (because we purchased FSD long before there were any FSD features to use), we were hoping we would be getting the software last weekend in our 2017 S and 2018 X.

Looks like we'll have to wait until the next round of vehicles get the latest FSD software...