Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD - hands on wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The existing camera may not be suitable for that. The driver attention camera used by Cadillac uses an IR camera (and IR illumination) with a narrow field of view directly in front of the driver. The Model 3 camera has a wider field of view to capture the entire cabin interior and is off to the side of the driver (and there is no IR illumination).
But, they can use NN to figure out if someone is paying attention;)

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
:rolleyes:
I'm not trying to be super pedantic but your post has zero context about the number of times Tesla has missed deadlines related to AP and FSD.
Interestingly I was searching to get some comparison of various FSD efforts. I found several articles from around 2015 with almost all companies claiming they will have FSD in several models by 2020.

• Love
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Unlike gambling, with FSD, we are buying a real product, we just don't know what the exact delivery date is.
Tell that to all the people that bought into AP1 back then.

Jesus, your optimism is nice and all, but with you it`s like Tesla`s long track record of broken promises didn`t exist.

But hey, since I just bought into Tesla shares again I sure hope you`re right.

Tell that to all the people that bought into AP1 back then.

Tesla never promised FSD on AP1.

Jesus, your optimism is nice and all, but with you it`s like Tesla`s long track record of broken promises didn`t exist.

I am not ignoring Tesla's past broken promises but at the end of the day, I prefer to look forward and I still want to get FSD. So I prefer to maintain some optimism rather than complain about something I can't change.

Reactions: OBX John
Tesla never promised FSD on AP1.

I am not ignoring Tesla's past broken promises but at the end of the day, I prefer to look forward and I still want to get FSD. So I prefer to maintain some optimism rather than complain about something I can't change.

Tesla did promise A LOT more for AP1 than they did deliver though.

Including features of Smart Summon and Navigate on Autopilot. For AP1. Yes.

As for optimism, it is one line of thought that endless optimism and giving a pass for Tesla and Elon for too much has enabled their hubris in a way that at the end of the day is not beneficial for the company or its progress either. A better feedback loop and keeping it real — ie complaining — has its benefits too which too much optimism can mask.

MODEL 3 WITH SLEEPING DRIVER?!

I think I read somewhere that it was a prank and the driver was not really asleep. If true, it's incredibly dangerous and foolish, not to mention it gives Tesla a bad rap. People watch these news segments and think AP is dangerous when in reality it is a good system when used responsibly.

Moreover, in the news segment, they say the driver had one of those weights to fool the hands on wheel nag. Those devices are illegal and circumvent how the system is supposed to be used. I know the autopilot buddy got banned. But I wonder if Tesla will be forced to do something in response to these videos. Maybe Tesla could do a software update to change the torque requirement so that these weights won't work anymore?

But frankly, it is videos like this that kinda make me wish Tesla did use the inside camera in the Model 3 to monitor the driver's eyes instead of the wheel nag. I know Musk is against it because he just wants to go straight to self-driving where driver attention is irrelevant. But I think Tesla might really need it anyway. After all, even in the best scenario where Tesla really does achieve L4/5 autonomy at the end of next year, that's still over a year away where idiots can fall asleep on AP and risk a serious accident.

Last edited:
But frankly, it is videos like this that kinda make me wish Tesla did use the inside camera in the Model 3 to monitor the driver's eyes instead of the wheel nag. I know Musk is against it because he just wants to go straight to self-driving where driver attention is irrelevant.

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Tesla had the internal camera, knew of the problem, knew of the solution, but decided not to do anything about it.