Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla buyers prior to 2019: Are you going to wait for FSD further $$$ discount?

• Yes (wait for price drop further)

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • No (low enough, I'm buying now)

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Already bough FSD

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Never buying FSD

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm yet to see anyone connecting these dots....

Anyone who bought a Tesla prior to 2019 was able to upgrade to FSD/EAP for a price. That price is coming down significantly over the last couple weeks. Two price drops in Canada: Was $5500, then ~$4400, now $2600.

Elon has stated that the HW3 will allow them to get to FSD without having to be as creative in software development. (See ARK invest interview 2019).

As Tesla will only be developing one software for FSD hardware (it would be dumb to have resources tied up developing EAP/FSD solutions for HW2) it would seem as though they are dropping the price of HW3 because people who want the full EAP/FSD updates will need HW3. Maybe eventually this price goes to 0$ ? What do you think?

This is just another example of the give/take relationship with Tesla/consumers. Buy now with future updates available, but for how long and for which features? Love the Supercharger updates coming down the pipe for early buyers, but I think EAP dev stops about here for HW2. Likely need to upgrade to HW3. As Tesla moved the NAV on AP from EAP feature to now being a FSD feature listed on website, I'd say EAP on HW2 dev is about done.

Cheers,
Still long Tesla, love the product, but warning to new buyers, it's like buying any software/hardware/computer devices - Support eventually runs on on many features.

This thread was about FSD HW3 costs, but so far seems to have ignored that.

If I pay $2K today to upgrade from EAP, does that price include the HW3 upgrade, or is that going to be a separate charge?
I've seen people claim both answers, but haven't seen an authoritative statement from Tesla.

Note: When people were paying $3K prior to October, that did include the future hardware upgrade.

Reactions: Gt1948

If I pay $2K today to upgrade from EAP, does that price include the HW3 upgrade, or is that going to be a separate charge?
I've seen people claim both answers, but haven't seen an authoritative statement from Tesla.

Note: When people were paying $3K prior to October, that did include the future hardware upgrade.

You don't see a statement form Tesla for a reason. If it were definitive it would be very clear to push the upgrade sales, thats marketing 101. Either they are the dumbest marketing group in the world or there is a reason it is omitted. Based on my knowledge of how Tesla works internally both are true in this case.

I'm yet to see anyone connecting these dots....

Anyone who bought a Tesla prior to 2019 was able to upgrade to FSD/EAP for a price. That price is coming down significantly over the last couple weeks. Two price drops in Canada: Was $5500, then ~$4400, now $2600.

Elon has stated that the HW3 will allow them to get to FSD without having to be as creative in software development. (See ARK invest interview 2019).

As Tesla will only be developing one software for FSD hardware (it would be dumb to have resources tied up developing EAP/FSD solutions for HW2) it would seem as though they are dropping the price of HW3 because people who want the full EAP/FSD updates will need HW3. Maybe eventually this price goes to 0$ ? What do you think?

What has happened is a right-sizing of the offers. Previously, it was relatively backwards in how much it cost, too much for the first part, too little for the second. And the EAP features, while significantly better than the completion, was stupidly expensive when compared to the competition. My 2018 Leaf does TACC and lane guidance for less than 25% of the original Tesla cost.

Price may go to $0, but that's a long (10+ years) into the future. Do you think that the other manufacturers, will be offering it for free? Heck, basic cruise control has only become free after 40 or so years.

I don't think that the EAP will need HW3, only FSD. And that doesn't really mean that it will be two completely different pieces of codes, If FSD is not available, the new HW3 is never used, somewhat similar to the MR battery, although in this case, MUCH cheaper.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

It includes the free AP3.0 computer swap. This new computer will be 1-0 to 20 times more powerful. However, it is unclear whether AP2.0 cars will have their cameras upgraded to what AP2.5 specs so that Sentry mode and Dashcam can be activated in AP2.0 cars after the FSD update.

When people were paying $3K prior to October, that did include the future hardware upgrade.
Not exactly. Even then the computer swap was clear but the rest was unclear.

Can you cite a post price drop source from Tesla itself that says this? Many of us are still waiting for Tesla to clarify.

In the podcast here (19 Feb 2019), Elon explains that the software for features like traffic light recognition would have been too complicated with the current hardware. Therefore, they will use the new hardware that enables 100 frames per second without any compression and doesn't require any trickery in the software to make it work.

In the podcast here (19 Feb 2019), Elon explains that the software for features like traffic light recognition would have been too complicated with the current hardware. Therefore, they will use the new hardware that enables 100 frames per second without any compression and doesn't require any trickery in the software to make it work.

Yes, but that is not the same as saying that the current upgrade price for FSD will include the HW3 upgrade. AFAIK that has not been explicitly stated.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Yes, but that is not the same as saying that the current upgrade price for FSD will include the HW3 upgrade. AFAIK that has not been explicitly stated.

That is obvious to me because the blog post equates buying FSD before 28 Feb to buying it now except the $6,000 price difference. You get the same thing, but now you pay $6,000 less. Here is the quote:

"...for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before." Source

Before 28 Feb 2019, if you had a car without EAP, adding EAP and FSD after delivery would cost $7,000 for EAP + $4,000 for FSD= $11,000
Now you can add both to a car that was delivered before 28 Feb for $3,000 for AP and $2,000 for FSD= $5,000

Perhaps to you but not to many on this forum. Once it's explicitly stated by Tesla in writing then I'll believe it. Never underestimate the Elon Uncertainty Principle.

And next week's price cut will obviate all your math.

It is mentioned in an Elon Tweet that folks will get HW3 “in the long run”. Elon’s sometimes pan out and sometimes don’t.

Current word is that folks that did buy it before March 1 will be first in line for HW3.

That’s basically all you get for paying $3k more and believing in Elon and the FSD program.

What everyone is missing is while the price for FSD has come down the description of what FSD purchased today has also been stripped down. I don't think anyone will get any hardware update because if buying today you are paying for current stripped down description which current hardware can support. If you purchased FSD before the change with the old description they might have to honor that hardware update.

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo
What everyone is missing is while the price for FSD has come down the description of what FSD purchased today has also been stripped down. I don't think anyone will get any hardware update because if buying today you are paying for current stripped down description which current hardware can support. If you purchased FSD before the change with the old description they might have to honor that hardware update.

Actually you have it backwards.

EAP was stripped down to AP. FSD was beefed up to also included what was stripped off of EAP. FSD now cost more than AP.

If you have FSD you have both and the sum of both is the same as it was.

Of course nothing is in stone with Tesla of who will get exactly what when.

Actually you have it backwards.

EAP was stripped down to AP. FSD was beefed up to also included what was stripped off of EAP. FSD now cost more than AP.

If you have FSD you have both and the sum of both is the same as it was.

Of course nothing is in stone with Tesla of who will get exactly what when.

FSD (FULL SELF DRIVING) no longer is FULL SELF DRIVING in current offered form. Its now a driver assistance feature. The new FSD description is stripped down from the functionality previously promised.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
FSD (FULL SELF DRIVING) no longer is FULL SELF DRIVING in current offered form. Its now a driver assistance feature. The new FSD description is stripped down from the functionality previously promised.

And it begins.

Anyone that thinks they are getting HW3 (whatever that means now or later) can do one simple thing. Ask Tesla CS to confirm in writing what you get exactly for your $2K upgrade from EAP before you purchase. I would clarify also that the $2K would not require you to purchase any additional hardware or fees to get FSD. I am pretty certain that you will not get them to do this. In fact it is a poor business decision to not get what you expect in writing. Should you get this in writing you have some chance to get a credit card dispute if the play games. Not to beat a dead horse (I will) but I know for certain Tesla is refusing to honor awards on the referral program for many people that fully qualify and they have modified some account dates to exclude people technically with not explanation, hopefully this is an error and a delay. I also know from other direct experience that they do not honor clear agreements even in writing. Perhaps they think customers are disposable, I used to trust them. If owners demand in writing a clarification of what they get it will put pressure on them to be more clear. Based on everything I have seen and read so far there are some serious games being played and they are likely also testing demand as they always do. There is some sort of demand/feature change test going on and some percentage of people are taking the bait. Those that think tweets mean anything are in for disappointment. Get clarification in writing and if they refuse there is a big red flag.