Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla buyers prior to 2019: Are you going to wait for FSD further $$$ discount?

• Yes (wait for price drop further)

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • No (low enough, I'm buying now)

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Already bough FSD

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Never buying FSD

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service centre won’t say exactly what it is. Figures. See screenshot.
707861D8-FEA8-4E9A-A3ED-78AF8E219015.jpeg

Service centre won’t say exactly what it is. Figures. See screenshot. View attachment 384275

But it doesn’t define what FSD is ;)

We’ll never know until a year (or so) from now exactly who got what for what.

The whole thing does leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I think this whole mess is the real reason they had no FSD option for several months, thinking they could just start with a clean slate and everyone would forget what they paid and were assured of.

One of Tesla’s biggest assets is its current user base. And Tesla doesn’t appear to understand how important and valuable that is. Nor how much damage they are doing to that base. Unnecessarily!!!

My guess is service does not make the call on this. I would only propose this question to CS for anyone trying to cover their back. In fact I would not purchases ANYTHING that is not explicit on the order page and confirmed with a receipt. That is all that is going to matter. Not tweets, posts, or other statements or inferences unless you want to wait for a useless class action. Anything you purchase online or in person should specify in writing the details or you will be SOL and don't think they really care either. They only care about what looks bad like an owner protest- LOL. Too many people here simply don't have enough experience with the new Tesla. If you want to see some of their prime time CS read one of the CPO threads and they garbage they expect customers to accept.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIT_S60
See ARK invest interview 2019).

That was a podcast filed with admissions of little to no progress, bold future promises Tesla cannot keep and lies.
Here are my notes: Tesla will be ready with full FSD by the end of the year, says Elon on a podcast today.

As Tesla will only be developing one software for FSD hardware

You do know that the codebase is the same so as long as a single hw2.0 car remains out there they must keep it in mind wrt changes, right?

They cannot just fork the code becasuse then they would need to duplicate a lot more effort to keep them separate and migrate stuff back and forth (you don't think EAP is COMPLETE, do you? And it won't be complete any time soon - that's for sure)

FSD (FULL SELF DRIVING) no longer is FULL SELF DRIVING in current offered form. Its now a driver assistance feature. The new FSD description is stripped down from the functionality previously promised.

The wording is "different" and is carefully vague as it was 6 months ago. Personally it sounds more committed than it did 6 months ago.
You can interpret it however you like.

Like driving on "City Streets", "Stopping for Traffic lights", "Summon your Car to where you are".

Those all sound fairly advanced (FSD-ish) to me.
I never expected my car to be out doing driver-less Ubering in the next 5 years (last year or now).

Now, is what is bought today with a new car, what was bought with the car 5 months ago, what was about with HW2.0 cars, vs what was added for (half cost) after March 1st all mean the same thing? Probably. Maybe. But who knows.

You do know that the codebase is the same so as long as a single hw2.0 car remains out there they must keep it in mind wrt changes, right?

They cannot just fork the code becasuse then they would need to duplicate a lot more effort to keep them separate and migrate stuff back and forth (you don't think EAP is COMPLETE, do you? And it won't be complete any time soon - that's for sure)

EAP? Not even a thing anymore. All those features are now under FSD. So yes, they can easily stop progress for us HW2 users cause we all have “Autopilot” and all the enhanced features are now FSD. If you want those updates you need HW3 by the sounds of it all.
25B13221-86C8-4273-9D14-F06EA2FEA2D1.jpeg

My guess is service does not make the call on this. I would only propose this question to CS for anyone trying to cover their back. In fact I would not purchases ANYTHING that is not explicit on the order page and confirmed with a receipt. That is all that is going to matter. Not tweets, posts, or other statements or inferences unless you want to wait for a useless class action. Anything you purchase online or in person should specify in writing the details or you will be SOL and don't think they really care either. They only care about what looks bad like an owner protest- LOL. Too many people here simply don't have enough experience with the new Tesla. If you want to see some of their prime time CS read one of the CPO threads and they garbage they expect customers to accept.

Of course service does not make the call. But it was a good place to start to see what we can get in writing and to see if they have any insight (spoiler - they don’t).

EAP? Not even a thing anymore. All those features are now under FSD. So yes, they can easily stop progress for us HW2 users cause we all have “Autopilot” and all the enhanced features are now FSD
Nope. The wording takes effect for new purchasers. Of course there are no new HW2.0 purchasers, but a lot of existing ones, and those have EAP (both on their order documents and monronney stickers).

• Informative
Reactions: Leopold Stotch
My feeling is EAP will be considered mostly feature complete within 3-6 months.

And, all SW development efforts after that will focus on things within FSD as it is sold now.

EAP people on HW2/HW2.5 will be easy to deal with in only supporting them with maintenance releases. If I had an EAP car with HW2/HW2.5 I wouldn't expect a lot of improvements aside from better navigation that led to better NoA decisions. That might be enough for those people. My biggest issue with NoA is really about the failure of the system to know when I need to be in a specific lane. So I think people with EAP will be okay with Tesla simply fixing a few issues. Hopefully they'll also fix the lane-change hiccups when it aborts a lane change for no reason.

As to when the code splits between EAP and FSD? It remains to be seen because it entirely depends on when HW3 is released. It's certainly going to require a bunch of different code as it has a different SOC, and can run a much more complicated neural net.

My prediction is most EAP owners will opt for an upgrade to FSD. Where Tesla will maintain the $2K pricing for 6-12 months to allow that to happen.

HW2.0 owners are the hardest to predict what will happen. I can see Tesla doing a partial upgrade (of just the HW3 computer), but they might also simply say "Sorry, no FSD for you" and refund the money if it's too difficult for them to do all the upgrades (sensors, Radar, wiring, etc).

My biggest concern is Tesla will try to do a water-downed FSD that barely meets the requirements to get away from having to update the car.

I'd advice anyone thinking about spending $2K for the FSD upgrade to hold off until it was known what was going to happen HW wise.

Reactions: Leopold Stotch