Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD HW3 upgrade part number?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 model has EAP, I went into the app to schedule service for the FSD upgrade.

I received an email from my service center that the following parts have been ordered for my car:

CAR,COMPUTER,MCU,ADAS,ASSY, HW2.5-PROVISIONED
Part #: 1098058-S0-L

this does not seem like the right part number for FSD/HW3 computer?

My 2018 model has EAP, I went into the app to schedule service for the FSD upgrade.

I received an email from my service center that the following parts have been ordered for my car:

CAR,COMPUTER,MCU,ADAS,ASSY, HW2.5-PROVISIONED
Part #: 1098058-S0-L

this does not seem like the right part number for FSD/HW3 computer?

I just looked at the tesla invoice for when my hardware 3 upgrade was done. Here is the part number that was on my invoice, on March 27th of 2020:

TLA,CAR,COMP,NA,HW3.0,M3 -PROV - Retrofit(1462554-R0-J) (Quantity 1)

Its possible the part number has changed since March 2020, however in what you posted, it looks like a HW 2.5. Did you buy FSD (as in, not subscription, but full purchase)?

• Helpful
Reactions: mpmeyer
I bought my car in Aug. 2018 with EAP not FSD

IMG_1268.jpg

I probably need to contact the service center, maybe they ordered the wrong part or were confused about my service request,

All good, service center confirmed they ordered the wrong part.

They have HW3 computer In stock, so I probably won't see the part number until I get my invoice

As a note, if you have EAP (and not FSD), the upgrade is not free. You likely know this, but its not clear from your posts, since you mentioned twice "I bought EAP" but are requesting the FSD upgrade. If you bought FSD (not subscribed to, but bought), you are entitled to the upgrade included in that cost. Otherwise, there is a $1500 charge for the new computer.

Like I said, you likely are already aware of this, but thats not clear from the information you are posting.

Reactions: mpmeyer
As a note, if you have EAP (and not FSD), the upgrade is not free. You likely know this, but its not clear from your posts, since you mentioned twice "I bought EAP" but are requesting the FSD upgrade. If you bought FSD (not subscribed to, but bought), you are entitled to the upgrade included in that cost. Otherwise, there is a $1500 charge for the new computer.

Like I said, you likely are already aware of this, but thats not clear from the information you are posting.
Yes, I am aware of the upgrade cost, and sales tax.

Also, when I checked the box for the subscription it told me, ;)

IMG_A673B79CC2D6-1.jpeg

Out of curiosity, we have HW2.5. Is all they change the one board to HW3.0? Do they mess with cameras or the display at all? Recently I drove a newer Y with 3.0 and the driving display had much more info on it, displaying speed limit signs as I pass them ect. also the display seemed to respond faster as well.

Also there is a road that the car thinks the speed limit is 25mph, never was for the 30 years I have been driving it and the speed limit signs all are 35 mph, would the car adjust to the speed limit signs or does it stick with what it thinks is the speed limit? Really annoying I can't use cruise for that part of my drive...

Out of curiosity, we have HW2.5. Is all they change the one board to HW3.0? Do they mess with cameras or the display at all? Recently I drove a newer Y with 3.0 and the driving display had much more info on it, displaying speed limit signs as I pass them ect. also the display seemed to respond faster as well.

Also there is a road that the car thinks the speed limit is 25mph, never was for the 30 years I have been driving it and the speed limit signs all are 35 mph, would the car adjust to the speed limit signs or does it stick with what it thinks is the speed limit? Really annoying I can't use cruise for that part of my drive...

They dont change the screen, but the "hw computer v3.0" is what enables more advanced visualizations etc. As far as speed limit data, etc its my understanding that is all the same between the two (so its not likely to change for you on that section if you get HW3). They dont change cameras or sensors in the car, but the computer they are connected to.

Price dropped to $1000 for the FSD computer upgrade,

View attachment 686682
Can the mobile service install or do you have to take into into the service center? I would like to get the hardware 3 but not do FSD. Seems like a good way to get the computer upgrade without getting tied into getting FSD subscription per the message on the order page for 2.5 owners. After install you would need to return to the page and then select the FSD subscription option.

Can the mobile service install or do you have to take into into the service center? I would like to get the hardware 3 but not do FSD. Seems like a good way to get the computer upgrade without getting tied into getting FSD subscription per the message on the order page for 2.5 owners. After install you would need to return to the page and then select the FSD subscription option.

Mobile CAN do it- though if your specific area does it that way seems somewhat YMMV (mine was done at a service center for example, but plenty of folks have reported being offered mobile service for this work other places)

Some early cars (e.g. built in 2018 during some time range, like mine apparently) need additional wiring rework, not sure if that's done by mobile service or not.

If I recall correctly we would loose FM radio going from 2.5 to 3.0? Or am I incorrect?

You lose FM if you upgrade the media computer in an older S/X.

But you can pay an extra $500 to retain it as part of the MCU upgrade service.

The MCU upgrade happens to ALSO come with HW3 for those cars.

If you've already got MCU2 then I don't believe upgrading the driving computer changes anything on the media side.