Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD impending 5th strike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve got 4 strikes against me in the FSD beta (It says that FSD Beta will no longer operate if Autopilot disables one more time).

Kinda sucks since three of those disengagements happened suddenly for no apparent reason.

My question: once I get thrown out of FSD beta, can I re-apply? Or did I just flush my FSD fee down the drain?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
So I’ve got 4 strikes against me in the FSD beta (It says that FSD Beta will no longer operate if Autopilot disables one more time).

Kinda sucks since three of those disengagements happened suddenly for no apparent reason.

My question: once I get thrown out of FSD beta, can I re-apply? Or did I just flush my FSD fee down the drain?

I think you can get back in at the next software update.

I think you can get back in at the next software update.
Not necessarily - I saw someone else who had struck out and they reportedly didn’t get back in with the next update.

to the OP - I’ve had 2 strikes without warning. There are definitly some issues with the system. Unfortunately I don’t have a solution for you other than to let you know you’re not alone. :/

Have you seen any warnings about cabin camera?

Over what timeframe did you accrue these strikes?

In any case obviously you have to stop using FSD and AP if you want to remain. They may reset the count at some indeterminate point in the future.

I have found it is extremely difficult to get strikes (I don’t think I have ever even been close) if you are driving the car (steering, looking ahead, etc.), but there definitely seem to be reports of cabin camera issues and maybe other issues. If you see those warnings, or nags are not clearing instantly, you have to not use AP/FSD and have it addressed by Tesla.

It needs to know you are looking ahead, and you are torquing the wheel. Even if you are doing those things, if it still thinks you are not (due to sensors or whatever), you’ll get a strike.

I don’t know whether seat sensor is used but those can go bad. In any case any sensor issue at all has to be addressed; the car must be in perfect working order with no “Tesla weirdness.” All the sensor issues seem to have “tells.”

Reactions: Silicon Desert
It’s pretty good at least in our 2018 Model 3. I’ve gotten the warning many times to pay attention (not steering wheel torque warning). I’ve gotten one strike and it was because I took too long at some point while fiddling with the screen. That’s usually when I see the warning (changing some setting or setting navigation on the screen). I’ve been more careful about immediately looking up and giving the steering wheel some torque. Sunglasses often help prevent the warning. Haha 😎

An update: A couple days ago I disabled FSD Beta in the Autopilot menu.
Yesterday I managed to get a 5th strike anyway while on autopilot on the highway (all five of my strikes were on the highway, BTW).

After I parked, I got the following message:
FSD Beta has been temporarily removed due to continued improper use. The feature may be restored with an upcoming software release.

Well, that sucks. First of all, FSD Beta was not active at the time. Second, all five of my strikes were during autopilot on the highway, when FSD Beta isn't supposed to be active anyway.

Hopefully a future update will re-enable my Beta status.

That sucks - sorry to hear it. I was wondering if strikes onAP with FSD turned off counted, so you answered that question.

What were you doing when the strike happened? Did you get any warning? I’ve become very paranoid since my last strike but even though I think I’m constantly putting pressure on the wheel it will still beep at me on a regular basis. Yesterday I was waiting to turn at a light and had my hands off the wheel while the light was red. The light turned green and it started beeping before it had completed the turn. I was looking at the road the entire time, too.

I cannot fathom how people get strikes. I have had beta since the first round of Publix entry and I have zero strikes.

I cannot fathom how people get strikes. I have had beta since the first round of Publix entry and I have zero strikes.
Oh, it’s quite easy when the system doesn’t work properly. My last two strikes came with no warning at all. I got one about a week and a half ago, shortly after updating to 2022.12.3.20. I was looking straight ahead, watching a pedestrian at the side of the road to make sure FSD didn’t do anything stupid. I had my had on the wheel and had just tugged on the wheel a few seconds earlier and out of the blue I got the red wheel of death, was put in time out and told I had another strike for being a bad driver.

You tell me - what did I do wrong?

Reactions: MTOman and Fiver
That sucks - sorry to hear it. I was wondering if strikes onAP with FSD turned off counted, so you answered that question.

What were you doing when the strike happened? Did you get any warning? I’ve become very paranoid since my last strike but even though I think I’m constantly putting pressure on the wheel it will still beep at me on a regular basis. Yesterday I was waiting to turn at a light and had my hands off the wheel while the light was red. The light turned green and it started beeping before it had completed the turn. I was looking at the road the entire time, too.
I was on the highway. In the fast lane, cruising at ~75mph, passing a truck in the slow lane which was doing ~65mph.
I had no warning. I think the truck was stable in it's lane. I don't think it was veering into my lane or anything like that... Suddenly I went from smooth sailing into the red alert that the system was disengaging.

My guess is that the system had a glitch and thought that the truck was going to enter my lane while I was passing it.

Come to think of it, I think all my previous strikes were also while passing other vehicles. I do a lot of highway driving (60+ miles/day, at least 5 days/week) and generally on autopilot on the highway.

Oh, it’s quite easy when the system doesn’t work properly. My last two strikes came with no warning at all. I got one about a week and a half ago, shortly after updating to 2022.12.3.20. I was looking straight ahead, watching a pedestrian at the side of the road to make sure FSD didn’t do anything stupid. I had my had on the wheel and had just tugged on the wheel a few seconds earlier and out of the blue I got the red wheel of death, was put in time out and told I had another strike for being a bad driver.

You tell me - what did I do wrong?

Don’t know. I haven’t experienced half of what the forums complain about….

I was on the highway. In the fast lane, cruising at ~75mph, passing a truck in the slow lane which was doing ~65mph.
I had no warning. I think the truck was stable in it's lane. I don't think it was veering into my lane or anything like that... Suddenly I went from smooth sailing into the red alert that the system was disengaging.

My guess is that the system had a glitch and thought that the truck was going to enter my lane while I was passing it.

Come to think of it, I think all my previous strikes were also while passing other vehicles. I do a lot of highway driving (60+ miles/day, at least 5 days/week) and generally on autopilot on the highway.
Even if the truck was veering into your lane the worst it should’ve done was freak out and disengage.

The only thing I can think of would be if the truck cast a shadow and the system thought you had your eyes closed and we’re sleeping? Still sucks. If they’re going to have a monitor that punishes people, it needs to be accurate. Right now they have a crappy monitor that’s prone to mistakes and no recourse for people.

Even if the truck was veering into your lane the worst it should’ve done was freak out and disengage.

The only thing I can think of would be if the truck cast a shadow and the system thought you had your eyes closed and we’re sleeping? Still sucks. If they’re going to have a monitor that punishes people, it needs to be accurate. Right now they have a crappy monitor that’s prone to mistakes and no recourse for people.
Didn't think about the shadows issue. It would certainly explain why I've gotten three strikes in the course of a couple weeks when previously I was fine for several months. My drive home is through some mountains as the sun's going down (this time of year), so shadows may be playing a part?

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert

You might have accelerated pass the speed limit while passing. Its very easy with Teslas due to the instant acceleration. I usually disengage when passing close to speed limit of the system if I initiated the passing. Usually its OK if you let the AP do the passing as the system may have already slowed to the slower speed in this case ~65 mph.